Ubisoft Says It's Not Giving Up on "Always-On" DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Says It's Not Giving Up on "Always-On" DRM

Ubisoft has confirmed that its "always-on" DRM has been patched out of Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-2-Pc/dp/B001TOQ8R0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294190419&sr=8-3] but says that new titles may still make use of it.

A Reddit user early 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106554-Ubisoft-Relaxes-DRM-Restrictions-on-Certain-PC-Titles], which requires owners of Ubisoft's PC titles to be connected to the internet at all times while they play. Unlike similar systems which authenticate and operate, Ubisoft games running under the system cease functioning if the internet connection is lost.

Ubisoft confirmed the situation today with Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67015], saying that the DRM scheme in both games has been patched and will now verify authenticity at launch and then allow play to commence and continue regardless of network status. Unfortunately, it's not a full-stop resolution, as the Ubisoft rep said the DRM situation in its games will be handled on a case-by-case basis and that future games may still ship with an "always-on" requirement.

It's worth remembering, however, that in August of last year Ubisoft opted to R.U.S.E. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102739-Ubisoft-Abandons-DRM-for-Steamworks-With-R-U-S-E] and go with the less obtrusive Steamworks system instead. Despite the "stay the course" attitude, it seems more than a little likely that Ubisoft isn't ready to throw in the towel mainly because it doesn't want to admit how badly it misjudged the response to its copy protection plans. Whatever the case, the new system isn't perfect - you'll still have to be connected to the net to actually launch your games - but it's a pretty big improvement. We'll see where it goes from here.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Admit your faults...

You fucked up. Admit it, and be forgiven. Don't admit it, and feel the eternal scorn of PC gamers.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
It is like taking one step forward, and insinuating that you will take two steps back.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I will never buy a Ubisoft game on PC. This announcement only strengthens this sentiment.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Admit your faults...

You fucked up. Admit it, and be forgiven. Don't admit it, and feel the eternal scorn of PC gamers.
Given their shitty buggy ports, I figured they were already there.

OT: And back on the "Do not buy list" for you Ubisoft.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Ubisoft I know you do not want to admit your mistakes but this was just a stupid idea. Let it die.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Show of hands: Who's surprised?

*waits for nobody*

I mean, the last escpaist article even guessed this might be an outcome, that it simply meant we'd have to wait a while to pick up these games.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Oh don't worry Ubisoft, your community will give up on you first. (If most haven't already)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really hope they just go with steam for heroes 6, I want to buy the fuck out of that game but if its got the always on drm shit then I might have to pass

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I don't understand why Ubi still releases games for the PC if they are so paranoid about pirating. Clearly, the profits from the PC market aren't very important to them if they still plan on using their moronic DRM.

Apr 28, 2008
I just cannot understand the logic behind this always-online DRM.

Do they expect legit copies to magically turn into pirated copies while they're being played? What about people who buy the games without a decent connection?

This system is shafting paying customers, while pirates don't have to deal with any of this. So how was it supposed to work again?

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I wonder if these people ever look at these gaming websites to see what their potential customers think about their products, because is sure doesn't seem like it.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
I think the phrase "U dun phucked up gud, Ubisoft. Nao 'pologize or feel etarnal pain" appropriately covers this.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You know that saying "If at first you don't succeed try, try again," well in this particular case, Ubisoft, that saying does not apply. Cut your losses and move on to greener pastures.

gurall200

Apr 14, 2009
Just use steam (or some variation thereof) like a normal company and just drop it (still unsure if this gives me sufficient reason to purchase Assassins Creed 2 now with the DRM gone, must ponder in the angry dome)

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Breaking news: Ubisoft still mental, did not learn lesson. Pirates' comment at 8.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Autofaux said:
It is like taking one step forward, and insinuating that you will take two steps back.
That's the best line I've heard all day (though possibly because of the tone was reading it in). Thank you kind sir.

OT: This was never a personal problem for me because I played AC2 on the PS3, but I can see how that would be a giant ***** to have to deal with.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Umm, what are they trying to prove? That their PC games are useless for the first year or so?