Ubisoft Says There's No Splinter Cell Game in Development Right Now, But That Could Change Soon

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft Says There's No Splinter Cell Game in Development Right Now, But That Could Change Soon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1416/1416130.jpgWhile there's no Splinter Cell game in the works right now, Ubisoft says that it may be close to making a deal for one.

Ubisoft had a pretty good E3. It showed off Skull & Bones, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Far Cry 5, and Beyond Good & Evil 2, just to name a few. But despite all the games that were shown off in LA, there was one franchise that many people were hoping to see that never raised its head: Splinter Cell. Lest you think the series is dead, Ubisoft has said that while there may not be a game in the works right now, that could change in the near future.

Ubi CEO Yves Guillemot did an internal interview during the show two weeks back that the company just posted yesterday. In that interview, he was asked about the Splinter Cell franchise, and his answer may hold some hope for its fans.

"We are receiving lots of sketches and proposals around the brand, and we're going to pick one up. I think you will be able to see something, but you will have to wait for that."

His remarks are even more interesting when you consider that in a recent Reddit AMA [https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6h1azu/i_am_yves_guillemot_ceo_and_cofounder_of_ubisoft/diuoya7/], Guillemot said, "Splinter Cell is a brand we talk about a lot. It's also personally one of my favorite series. We don't have anything specific to share at the moment but teams are working on different things, so stay tuned for more."

You can watch the whole five-and-a-half minute interview below.

We haven't seen a game in the series since 2013's Splinter Cell Blacklist, but it sounds like one could be in the works soon. We'll keep you posted if any interesting news pops up about Splinter Cell.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I was disappointed that Splinter Cell didn't make any appearance so it's nice Ubi acknowledged the franchise. Not thrilled a new game is so far out still but hey, it's better than nothing.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I hope so! I love me some Splinter Cell.

I would like if they went back to super sneaky Sam Fisher rather than Jason Bourne Sam Fisher like in the newer installments but I liked them both so I would be OK with either. I would just prefer old school sneaky Fisher.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, this is as much of non-news as you can get. "We haven't done anything with this yet, but we might at any moment so get your panties in a twist!!!" Considering its ubisoft I'm surprised they didn't also add "While we haven't even talked about developing it yet, there are 8 different preorder bundles to choose from."

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I would prefer that Tenchu would come back from the dead after it was buried by the horrible motion controls on Wii, but good news(?) for Splinter Cell fans I guess.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Meh. The series hasn't been that great since Conviction. Getting rid of Ironside was also foolish. How hard would it have been to just retire Sam? He was supposed to have already been a veteran in the first one fer feck's sake. As much as the gameplay was great it was also a heavily story driven series and fucking with the characters and continuity was a mistake IMO.

They should have just made Sam the voice in the ear at HQ and introduced a new character instead. That could have easily kept it going. As a massive long time fan of the series, I couldn't care less about the prospect of another Splinter Cell.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
I can already see the new Splinter cell game. It will take place in a big open world city/town.

You climb cellular towers to get the map layout and you clear out buildings full of bad guys which then get taken over by the CIA or whatever organization you're working for. Oh and the primary antagonist will be some overly dramatic guy played by a really good voice actor who won't end up actually doing anything of any real note.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
ron1n said:
I can already see the new Splinter cell game. It will take place in a big open world city/town.
Don't forget 8 preorder bundles, all containing iconic items.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I actually like Blacklist and Conviction. Its the closest we'll ever get to a John Wick game.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I miss the glory days of Chaos Theory and Double Agent back when Splinter Cell was a stealth game. It would be nice to return to that style of play.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
I actually like Blacklist and Conviction. Its the closest we'll ever get to a John Wick game.
You mean besides the ACTUAL John Wick game? You know, the one that's been released on Steam earlier this year?
It might require a VR headset, but it's a John Wick game. John Wick Chronicles. Look it up.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Huh I was fairly certain that the reason we hadn't heard anything about Splinter Cell for years was because they retired the franchise and doubled down on Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon. Honestly don't know how the vague news of "we might do something with it or we might not, time will tell" sits with me. I really enjoyed the stealth and black ops stories more than the Bourne Identity-like nature of the recent ones so if it's a return to a "good" revival of the same sort of stealth then I would be interested.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
I hope so! I love me some Splinter Cell.

I would like if they went back to super sneaky Sam Fisher rather than Jason Bourne Sam Fisher like in the newer installments but I liked them both so I would be OK with either. I would just prefer old school sneaky Fisher.
Actually, you can play as super sneaky Fisher in Blacklist. I really liked the choice you were given. And on Perfectionist difficulty it felt like old Splinter Cell again

I also am a fan of waiting four or five years. I would hate it if they pulled that yearly installment crap with this series as you can see the damage they did to the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Mar 26, 2008
Michael Ironside as Fisher or GTFO.

Also, I really liked the interrogations in Conviction. It made Fisher feel like an unstoppable bad ass, and I think there's scope there to improve on that rather than feeling like it is a disjointed part of the game.