Ubisoft Sees No Profit or Point in Wii U Mature Titles

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Shayman said:
I meant graphically, not that the ports ran terribly. I should have worded differently.
No, you had it correct initially. ACIII for example actually ran the worst of the three versions, clearly not being optimized properly. And that's before you get into Ubi screwing Wii U owners with no DLC for either of them. They did seem to actively punish people for buying the Wii U version and yet still expected to sell millions. I dunno what it is about 3rd parties, but when it comes to Nintendo systems all logic just flies out of their heads and they start acting like a bunch of leprous chuckleheads

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Of course these are the guys that actually made a game for the Wii U but just sat on it (and still are) because there wasn't enough consoles sold, wasting all their money without even trying to get any of it back.

Also delayed Watchdogs on Wii U for months after spending loads of time talking up how good it was going to be on the system.

Pulled Rayman Legends release on Wii U after the developer said it was already done to delay it for 6 months to put out a 360 and PS3 version at the same time. Ended up selling more on Wii U anyway. Hilariously tried to quiet outrage by releasing a second demo! lol

Its funny how much more appealing the Wii U gets with each AAA publisher that shits on it.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
They say that they don't see the money in it. Barring ports of older games, they released three games on it. Zombie U, Rayman and Watch_Dogs. Zombie U was a launch title so yeah it won't sell all that well in comparison but you can't deny they absolutely crippled the sales of Rayman and Watch_Dogs with there release delays. Self fulfilling prophecy that's all I'm saying

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Lightknight said:
Shayman said:
Wow... Your "mature" titles don't sell on the Wii U because the ports are inferior quality in comparison to the other platforms. Don't singly blame the demographic.
Look, the WiiU has been around since 2007 and only has 7 games that have beat the 1 million copies mark. All of then are Nintendo first party and at least one of them was boxed with the WiiU so its numbers are inflated.
Wow... i thought the Wii U was released in 2012...

OT: Yeah, Ubisoft games doesn't sell on Wii U... WAIT A MINUTE! I tought that Rayman Legends sold better, than on other consoles with a considerable smaller user base. The attach rate on the Wii U was around 10%, while on other platforms it was around 0.5%. I also leave this here: http://sheattack.com/shovel-knight-wii-u-interview/, and this: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/frozenbyte-trine-2-wii-u-sales-are-going-well-wii-u-will-be-our-best-system-and-more.452806262/

You know UbiSoft... if you want success on a Nintendo platform maybe you should develop games that catter to that specific audience

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
FFMaster said:
Lightknight said:
Ubisoft is the ONLY 3rd party studio in the console's deplorable top 15.
Incorrect, there are a lot of 3rd parties on the eshop, Sega are also a third party and i think some of them count in the top15 of the console, also shows that there are 3rd parties.
No. Of the top 15 selling titles on the WiiU (since the WiiU became available), only 2 titles that aren't Nintendo IPs are there. Neither of them sold even 1 million copies. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you that this is the fact.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/47/wii-u/

Lightknight said:
ZombieU (a launch title which should have been free money) at 700k units.
Rayman Legends (a 2013 title and the 15th best selling title on the entire console) at 360k units.

These numbers are deplorable.
Rayman became multiformat and was late, so lost a lot of traction and had a backlash from owners because of the delay to go multiform (then it sold best on the WiiU anyway which is information missing from your numbers that are deplorable).
And yet it is the 15th best seller on the WiiU. So you're only hurting your case when a game made significant mistakes and is still the 15th best seller for a console that's at the end of its second year. A game that sold less than 400k units.

Zombie U being a horror game already has a niche, it also had a development hell, 700k would be good enough with a decent budget but the budget spiraled.
Ok? And this is the 10th best seller on the WiiU to date.

You saying what's wrong with them really hurts your position when these are the best performers of the 3rd party games.

3rd parties can develop for it as long as its tailored towards the audi.....ohhhh
this is a stealth well done Sony post despite the topic being nothing to do with Sony at all, ok now i get it.
Did you even read the post I was responding to? They said their games are bad ports when compared with the other consoles. My post was saying the numerous reasons why you can't get PS4 or XBO quality graphics.

Likewise, showing that the 3rd party environment is better and significantly more profitable on the XBO and PS4 (despite the XBO having fewer numbers and even slowing down beyond the WiiU sales) is entirely relevant to the conversation.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Honestly what's annoying is that Ubisoft is saying it's because the games are "Mature" and that's why they're not selling. Not even counting port delays, the fact that they're ports, brand familiarity on other consoles for the AC series, poor advertising for the WiiU versions or any other reasons. No, it has to be because they're "mature" titles.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
And you can say that about every console that Nintendo didn't have a monopoly on. First parties don't sell on ANY Nintendo systems unless theres no real other option.
Oh, for sure. But I'll say that the WiiU has been cruel to 3rd party games in particular. It's also more that that the 1 million mark is the profit mark for AAA games nowadays.

I'm going to assume that you mean 3rd parties don't sell and not 1st parties don't sell on Nintendo consoles. If you did mean first parties then please disregard what I'm about to say and please validate your claim.

While it's true that Nintendo first party titles rule the day on Nintendo consoles, 3rd party games can be incredibly successful. For example, the 10th best selling game on the Wii was Ubisoft's Just Dance 3 at around 10 million units. Followed by Just Dance 2 at around 9.4 million.

The first "dark" game though, isn't until number 53 when we hit Call of Duty 3 (over 2 million still).

So I think Ubisoft is particularly correct that mature games just don't really sell that well on Nintendo games. But family friendly games do.

Robert Kalmar said:
Thanks for the catch, I likely had the number 7 on the brain.

OT: Yeah, Ubisoft games doesn't sell on Wii U... WAIT A MINUTE! I tought that Rayman Legends sold better, than on other consoles with a considerable smaller user base. The attach rate on the Wii U was around 10%, while on other platforms it was around 0.5%. I also leave this here: http://sheattack.com/shovel-knight-wii-u-interview/, and this: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/frozenbyte-trine-2-wii-u-sales-are-going-well-wii-u-will-be-our-best-system-and-more.452806262/

You know UbiSoft... if you want success on a Nintendo platform maybe you should develop games that catter to that specific audience
Rayman isn't an adult game, is it? Their statement would still allow for Rayman development. Are we just going to ignore that they specified mature titles like Assassin's Creed rather than say, Just Dance 8 or whatever?

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
"Nearly ALL Nintendo games are focused for kids."
You know, it's attitudes like that which cause 3rd party developers and players to shun the console when making or buying their "super macho mature" titles.

It's really nothing more than a "comic book vs. graphic novel" difference in title, but it can make a world of difference.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Lightknight said:
Rayman isn't an adult game, is it? Their statement would still allow for Rayman development. Are we just going to ignore that they specified mature titles like Assassin's Creed rather than say, Just Dance 8 or whatever?
It's not an adult game, yet it's not a casual game like Just Dance either. It's in the "for everyone" category like Mario games. The funny thing is AFAIK, Just Dance sold barely better, than AC games on Wii U. Sure, it's a smaller budget game, but why is it ok to sell just 280k of Just Dance and not ok to sell 260k of AC3? But really, i won't miss these games on the platform... I'm done with UbiSoft AAA games since AC Brotherhood, it made me lose all my faith in their big budget games. Yeah, i know i'm part of the problem, but there is a problem for a reason... Mainly: Nintendo fans don't want dark and gritty "Mature" games on their platform. They bought a Nintendo platform for a simple reason: they want colorful and fun games, which can be played by anyone. I play "mature" games mainly on my PC and local coop with my friends on my Wii U.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Robert Kalmar said:

But that would take flexibility, diversity, and skill, all of which Ubisoft lacks. Their titles having been getting more and more homogenized as of late and it's increasingly clear that they're cripplingly rigid in their methods. It does not have to be this hard for them, they just MAKE it hard for themselves due to ineptitude. I am seriously wondering how these guys have been around this long when they clearly don't know how to market products properly.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The WiiU being dropped isn't that surprising, what is surprising is that I expected this to happen around the same time the 360 was eased out.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Yah know, the terrible third party sales were universal on all Nintendo systems since the 64. I don't get why people say: "The second coming of the gamecube". Theres a reason many exclusives on the gamecube quickly made ports for PS2 and Xbox (which nearly universally sold far better). No Nintendo system has ever had third party support without a monopoly, and if it began with them, it quickly lost it because of extremely low sales. Every single time. It is not a thing Nintendo systems have. Nearly ALL Nintendo games are focused for kids. Therefore, you got a history of systems with both extremely poor third party support, as well as very few mature games which even then, don't sell.

The gamecube was exactly the same as the 64, and the Wii, and the WiiU. A complete failure for anything other then first party games. Anyone who says the WiiU having no support is a stupid move on developers are completely ignoring reality. Of course, the 3DS, as shite a device as it is, does have a monopoly and therefore, will continue to have support, so Nintendo is fine financially. It's unfair that it is, but I guess its the unignorable truth.
What I just realized is that I'm kind of an outsider when it comes to the Gamecube...Now that the Gamecube has been left to rest I look back at all of the games that it has and I guess looking back paints a rosier picture than what there was back when the lunchbox was still relevant and, new. I didn't have a Gamecube between 2001 - 2006...I didn't get mine until 2010 and it was easy to forget (or not realize) that 3rd party GC games were lacking. All I know is the Gamecube had Dead to Rights, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and, Burnout among other titles...I guess what I didn't realize is that it didn't have things like Max Payne, Breakdown, Panzer Dragoon, Soul Caliber III...

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
AdamRBi said:
"Nearly ALL Nintendo games are focused for kids."
You know, it's attitudes like that which cause 3rd party developers and players to shun the console when making or buying their "super macho mature" titles.

It's really nothing more than a "comic book vs. graphic novel" difference in title, but it can make a world of difference.
It's attitudes like you guys that ignore that not all games that are more mature then Nintendo's are super macho mature ultra dark gritty racism theme filled games. And its attitudes like yours that ignore that there is actually a couple of good games in those games. The Witcher 2 for example.

Nintendo games are only childish because if they change, they will have lost the only customers they have left.
Okay, first point; fair enough; "ultra super macho man, grim and gritty dark mature super bloody fun times" is a bit of a stretch for most games. Exaggeration and stretches are terrible explanations for all games with exception of a choice few.

Second point, "they will have lost the only customers they have left if they change," is kind of a rude, unrealistic statement. It's partially true, if Nintendo went ahead and made Super Mario: Black Flag then yeah... it might just turn off just as many players as Assassin's Creed Galaxy. They'd lose everything if they didn't stick to a thematically kid friendly design? Well that's just unrealistic and off point.

Point is, mature audiences play Nintendo because our lingo is confusing and because joy and wonder are just as fun as action and adventure. So calling something childish or "for kids" is woefully dismissive.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Aiddon said:
Robert Kalmar said:

But that would take flexibility, diversity, and skill, all of which Ubisoft lacks. Their titles having been getting more and more homogenized as of late and it's increasingly clear that they're cripplingly rigid in their methods. It does not have to be this hard for them, they just MAKE it hard for themselves due to ineptitude. I am seriously wondering how these guys have been around this long when they clearly don't know how to market products properly.
Huh, i thought the only capable division of UbiSoft is the marketing department... I mean, they clearly sold an average at best GTA clone to millions of dissatisfied customers (Watch_dogs). I don't think it has to do with the skill of their developers, it's the guys above them, that makes these decisions. Yvet said in an interview that games like Rayman, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are morale booster projects, where the developers gained creative freedom. So, you can guess how happy their developers are about making AssCreed every year.

It's a shame... My favorite game developer was UbiSoft back in the PS2 era, because they give us gems like Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Splinter Cell and Beyond Good and Evil. After that they kinda run out of juice and now they are just a money hungry company, which is a shadow of it's former glory.