Ubisoft Sees No Profit or Point in Wii U Mature Titles

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
novem said:
Disappointed that we likely will never see a ZombiU 2 but aside from that, there isn?t a whole lot that Ubisoft publishes that I would want on the WiiU. I don?t care for the yearly installment franchises and anything that does interest me and is multiplatform I will buy on PC .
Let's be honest, you probably weren't going to see a ZombiU 2 anyway...

Which is a damn shame, because ZombiU could easily have been expanded on, if it were in a more confident, experienced environment and without the limitations of being a launch title. But who gives anything a second chance?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
Not to utterly derail the topic here, but it's stuff like that this just proves my point that it was silly for Platinum Games to make any sort of deal with Nintendo because Bayonetta 2 is going to sell a fraction of a percentage of an iota of a scintilla of what the original sold on the 360/PS3. The vast majority of WiiU owners aren't into mature games (not that much of Bayonetta could be called mature with a straight face, and God bless 'em for it), or games that are too challenging. People buy Nintendo consoles because they like Nintendo games. People buy consoles and PCs because they like all other games. It's really just that simple.
The reason why Bayonetta 2 is being released exclusively on the Wii U is because Nintendo's funding it out of their pockets. It's because nobody else, not even SEGA despite owning the rights to the IP, wanted to make it. I'm sorry for sounding like an asshole, but what's so difficult to comprehend about that?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
AdamRBi said:
GonzoGamer said:
This console generation is all messed up.
Nobody wants to support the one console I may consider buying at some point...I probably wont...because nobody will support it.

But I'm still wondering why Nintendo doesn't make their own mature titles. They're good at making the Mario and Kirby games, why the hell don't they put together a team to make a mature fantasy rpg or a killer fps, or maybe an rts since they have the touchscreen anyway.
They have second party studios doing wonderfully with those (Metroid Prime for example); also they made Twilight Princess so I mean, for every Splatoon there's a Bayonetta.
Yea, if I got a WiiU, I would get Bayonetta 2 but it doesn't make me want to get the machine.
And mature doesn't necessarily mean violent (though that does usually come with the territory), but I want to see something that huge and deep that would take me several months to play. Something I can really sink my teeth into like I can with a Bethesda or R* title.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Not to utterly derail the topic here, but it's stuff like that this just proves my point that it was silly for Platinum Games to make any sort of deal with Nintendo because Bayonetta 2 is going to sell a fraction of a percentage of an iota of a scintilla of what the original sold on the 360/PS3. The vast majority of WiiU owners aren't into mature games (not that much of Bayonetta could be called mature with a straight face, and God bless 'em for it), or games that are too challenging. People buy Nintendo consoles because they like Nintendo games. People buy consoles and PCs because they like all other games. It's really just that simple.
The reason why Bayonetta 2 is being released exclusively on the Wii U is because Nintendo's funding it out of their pockets. It's because nobody else, not even SEGA despite owning the rights to the IP, wanted to make it. I'm sorry for sounding like an asshole, but what's so difficult to comprehend about that?

You're not sounding like an asshole, and I completely get that. My point merely was that despite Platinum's idiotic statement of "wanting to have the game reach a wider audience," Bayonetta 2 isn't going to sell anything close to what the first did precisely because it's being released on the wrong system for it. B1 was sold in 2010, right after the Christmas glut (at least outside Japan) and this was still the height of CoD fever. Gamers are finally over than banal crap and are looking for something different. If it was released now, I'm sure it would do a lot better, and they could have just gone to Kickstarter to get funding. I know I sure as hell would have donated.

It's one thing to make an all new IP exclusively for a system, but it's another to make a sequel exclusive. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a couple hundred bucks to blow on a system I'd only buy for one game. Maybe three games including Devil's Third and Shovel Knight (if my computer wasn't a slow piece of crap and I liked gaming on a PC).

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well Ubisoft when you stop making homogenized crap I will actually care about you not supporting the only next-gen system I own. Until then let me express my thanks at saving my money for me by not releasing any interesting games.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
It's one thing to make an all new IP exclusively for a system, but it's another to make a sequel exclusive. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a couple hundred bucks to blow on a system I'd only buy for one game. Maybe three games including Devil's Third and Shovel Knight (if my computer wasn't a slow piece of crap and I liked gaming on a PC).
Except Bayonetta 2 comes with Bayonetta 1 as an incentive.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
AJ_Lethal said:
GonzoGamer said:
Nobody wants to support the one console I may consider buying at some point...I probably wont...because nobody will support it.

But I'm still wondering why Nintendo doesn't make their own mature titles. They're good at making the Mario and Kirby games, why the hell don't they put together a team to make a mature fantasy rpg or a killer fps, or maybe an rts since they have the touchscreen anyway.
*points at Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third*
Are those out yet? Do we know if they're any good?
Also, I think those are being developed outside Nintendo. I'm talking about them making an In-House mature title...or two, or three.
Nintendo's own developers don't know how to develop a Mature title. So it's probably easier from there standpoint to rent a developer that would not make as many rookie mistakes.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
It's one thing to make an all new IP exclusively for a system, but it's another to make a sequel exclusive.
This happened through the history of gaming many time and mostly it was bad for Nintendo with franchises moving from the SNES to the PS1 instead of the N64. Funny how people don't make a big deal out of that, yet this is a big deal.

Also if you buy Bayonetta 2, you get Bayonetta 1 for free included.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
direkiller said:
GonzoGamer said:
AJ_Lethal said:
GonzoGamer said:

Also, I think those are being developed outside Nintendo. I'm talking about them making an In-House mature title...or two, or three.
Nintendo's own developers don't know how to develop a Mature title. So it's probably easier from there standpoint to rent a developer that would not make as many rookie mistakes.
I hope that isn't their excuse. This is a Japanese company.
They don't want to spend the money would be a more likely excuse. Problem is you have to take a chance of spending money if you want to make more.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
direkiller said:
GonzoGamer said:
AJ_Lethal said:
GonzoGamer said:

I hope that isn't their excuse. This is a Japanese company.
They don't want to spend the money would be a more likely excuse. Problem is you have to take a chance of spending money if you want to make more.
They are spending the money
they are just not going hiring the staff, renting the office, and taking the risk on a new team.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
GonzoGamer said:

Because they're not interested in them, mostly because they see right through them for what they really are: shallow attempts to seem "adult" when in fact they're so blatantly juvenile it's painful. They have no interest in such childish antics because they know while they'll make money for a few years their lasting power has always been suspect. Their repertoire of RPGs is fine, they have no interest in the FPS craze especially since it seems to be going DOWN as of late, and for RTS's they have Pikmin for that. They work by genre and mechanics, not by trying to emulate the efforts of writers just copying what's hot on TV at the moment.

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
It's one thing to make an all new IP exclusively for a system, but it's another to make a sequel exclusive.
This happened through the history of gaming many time and mostly it was bad for Nintendo with franchises moving from the SNES to the PS1 instead of the N64. Funny how people don't make a big deal out of that, yet this is a big deal.

Also if you buy Bayonetta 2, you get Bayonetta 1 for free included.
Which is great if you own a WiiU, but that does jack if you happen to own any other system, current or next-gen, because I already own and love the first game. I mean, I still remember how pissed Resident Evil fans were with the remake of 1, 0, and 4 all going exclusively to the GameCube. And 0 has never made it to any non-Nintendo systems. With Ninty publishing Bayonetta 2, it just sucks for all the fans (like me) who aren't flush with cash that they'll never be able to play a game they'd surely love.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Skratt said:
Maybe they won't develop anything at all for the WiiU, to that I say good riddance. I don't play my WiiU for anything hard hitting anyway, let alone want to buy anything that Ubisoft creates.

Don't get me wrong, Ubisoft games look fun, they just like to finish their products then smear feces all over them before handing them out to their customers. You know, to make sure nobody wants to share with you...

Why are we still putting up with their bad behavior?
This is the way I see it and its the reason EA, Activision, and Ubisoft haven't burned down yet. People like us on the Escapist are more informed about this sort of thing. However we are the 1 in 10. If 1 in 10 gamers don't buy their products or call them out on it it won't do much. So many others are uninformed and its hard to get them to care. Several people that I work with personally buy Madden and Fifa every year just to get their fix. Not really giving a care that they are being scammed and I can't change their minds because while they are gamers they aren't gamers like me.

That's why they get away with bad behavior. A lot of people call them out on it but not near enough for them to even give a damn. When one of their big moves fail and it was a bad move that will be the day things start to change.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Micah Weil said:
Lemme guess...couldn't find a way to stick uPlay into it...
Actually.. there is a uplay app for it =x

Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
That's a fucking lie. The Assassins Creed ports were fantastic, as well as supported a hudless screen, literally the only benefit I see to the controller of the WiiU.
I think that most people who don't "get" what the controller is for obviously don't own a wii u or have ever even seen one in person. Because I have one and love that I can play most of the games on the controller while my gf watches netflix on the ps3.

OT: So I guess this means that there won't be a ZombieU 2?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
yes, it was stupid to make a deal with the only backer that would have funded them while allowing them full creative control and is the sole reason bayonetta 2 exists

they should have just never made the game at all and ended up doing mobile titles or something

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
weirdee said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
yes, it was stupid to make a deal with the only backer that would have funded them while allowing them full creative control and is the sole reason bayonetta 2 exists

they should have just never made the game at all and ended up doing mobile titles or something
While i can agree that they wont get the millions copies quickly, i can guarentee the die-hard nintendo fans will give it a try. I certainly will. The other thing you have to realise is well..its the same reason I REALLY want a Xbox One. It has the Masterchief collection...something I want badly, but I really dont want to waste money on a Xbone. its a good hookline to say the least. Also, a vast majority are not into mature games? A Vast majority sadly dont even know the Wii U is the new console...charts and numbers dont help a lot here when Nintendo did not really help themselves here either...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i just don't buy any of this

nintendo doesn't have third party games: people buy other platforms

nintendo has third party games that other platforms have: people buy other platforms

nintendo has exclusive third party games: people complain that they're holding them hostage and refuse to buy nintendo

everything in this conversation is made up and has no bearing on reality

the only reason the other platforms have those games is because they BOUGHT THEM and they think they can buy you too

apparently they were right

"these games sold way more on the other platforms, therefore they are right to stop putting games on nintendo" = "i am right because i refused to buy them while they were on nintendo, therefore this is an inferior console because i said so"

LysanderNemoinis

Nov 8, 2010
weirdee said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

It's funny that if it was any other publisher under the sun, everyone would be suspicious as hell and not give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt on anything. We don't know what other publishers said, nor do we know anything about the terms of the deal between Platinum and Nintendo. And even if that's all the case and Ninty is benevolent as could be, Platinum is still going to regret the deal because they're going to sell next to nothing. When their other properties like Scalebound (even on just the XBone) or whatever multiplat game they release next will probably go on to sell a crapton more, they'll realize that what could be their biggest franchise (once other publishers see the sales) is now locked into selling piddly amounts for Ninty. And if they keep losing money, Platinum's well will dry up and then Nintendo will just sit on the rights and refuse to let them get out of their contract.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
In all fairness, of all the developers who could be porting stuff to the Wii U, Ubisoft are possibly the LEAST important of any of them.

A far greater concern is the recent news from Ono where he said that the Wii U would not be getting USFIV. Seeing as how Nintendo even managed to sour their relationship with their longest friends at Capcom, THAT, is much more worrying than some money-grubbing Frenchmen who don't like the profit margins of developing for the Wii U.