Ubisoft Sees No Profit or Point in Wii U Mature Titles

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Karthenak said:
I bought AC4 on my Wii U, had few complaints. *sigh* While granted I didn't exactly buy my console for the M rated games, I was quite excited to hear Watch Dogs was going to be on the Wii U. To be honest I feel a tad bit sad about this, but I suppose that 3% of sales is pretty damning. But again, I bought my Wii U for the plethora of Nintendo franchises I love and keep my M rated games (for the most part) on my PC.
Such is the case with those of us who have just a Wii U and a gaming-capable PC in our homes. Now it's time to cross our fingers that Uplay won't be yet again shoved down our throats when AC Unity and Far Cry 4 are concerned on PC. I would have gotten Rayman Legends on PC when it was $10, but its need to connect to dubious Ubisoft servers turned me down, so I got it for $20 on Wii U. So much for that option.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
There are times when I will call out crap against Nintendo because it's unjustified, but this isn't one of those small number of times. It seems that titles they are talking about are the titles that only thrive on the other consoles or PC. I have high doubts that even if AC or Watch Dogs were released at the same time with the same content for the WiiU, that it would sell much better. Nintendo consoles are bought for certain games that are more common on them, and AC/GTA/COD type games are not one of them. This seems like the best decision overall, because while it may suck for some people, overall, most people who want those games will have a machine that can run it. You can bet that if they make another Rayman game, it will be put on there because it's the kind of game that will sell well enough on that console.

Main problem with these companies is that they don't see the potential of other games they could make that are smaller budget but could sell well enough on that console and make a good profit. This is a discussion for another time though. In the end, we won't be seeing the big millions of copies sold franchises on the WiiU, but we will most likely get Rayman and smaller titles that can succeed on the console.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Firstly, it was literally the main complaint for I think it was a month or two after it released. Then it faded out of existance from other news.

Secondly, it matters, because if the only thing that shows your controllers strong point is a game based on gimmicks, you have designed an objectively bad device. Plain and simple.
Again, firstly, that first point is wrong. Again, I don't know who told you this, but no where in life or online did I hear anyone but you say that the games had ANY complaints like that. The games were pretty wall praised on release.

Second point, if all you've played are ports like AC3 and 'heard' about Nintendoland then it's obvious why you only see it as a gimmick. Just because you haven't played or can't imagine a game using it as anything but that does not mean it's a bad device.

I for one think Pikmin 3 used the features quite nicely, ZombieU was neat if we want to get back on the topic of Ubisoft, and seriously call them gimmicks if you like but the Nintendoland games are still fun to play with a group of 4 friends. I'd honestly love for more multiplayer games to take advantage of these features.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
The Vita failed because the cost the develop for it is nearly as expensive as it is for consoles. The PSP failed because of Nintendo has a monopoly on the handheld department. The PSP had a fucking amazing library that far out-shined the DS, and only stopped getting titles after the west suddenly lost all interest in the best hand held ever made and played an overpriced handheld, with half as many games worth buying, and based around a gimmick which to this day has never had a single game justify its existence.

And why did they do that? Because when people think hand helds, they think game boy. Because people are fucking stupid.
Sorry, but that came across as less as a factual statement and more like a bitter fan rant.

The DS was a monster not because of the second screen, but because of the games; there were more to choose from in the DS more than in the PSP.

Sony's mistake was thinking a powerful handheld was enough to challenge Nintendo's dominance but they failed to take into account that handheld gaming is different from console/pc gaming (gimped PS2 ports are a hard sell -hello GTPSP-) thus costing them the early half of the generation. By the time the PSP was picking up the slack, the DS was already dominating. Although the PSP turned out well for Sony (80m sold), they learned nothing from it.

Secondly, nothing you just described is SEGA backing out halfway on a console generation
which is on itself a shitty business decision.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
GonzoGamer said:
This console generation is all messed up.
Nobody wants to support the one console I may consider buying at some point...I probably wont...because nobody will support it.

But I'm still wondering why Nintendo doesn't make their own mature titles. They're good at making the Mario and Kirby games, why the hell don't they put together a team to make a mature fantasy rpg or a killer fps, or maybe an rts since they have the touchscreen anyway.
It's a Nintendo console. No one ever supports them. This is seriously not a new thing, and was never going to change.
IDK. They had a really good GTA on the DS: Chinatown Wars. I actually liked it more than GTA4. Probably my favorite game on the DS.
It is possible.
As I've always said. Nintendo only gets support if they have a monopoly on the section of the industry. Nintendo has such a gigantic monopoly on handhelds, even the far superior library, graphics and general controller of the PSP could barely shake the DS.
Considering they have the only console that still does local multiplayer and has a touchscreen as a standard part of the controller, they could try and do the same maneuver with this generation. They have a good setup for it. MS shot themselves in the foot with a bazooka at the starting line and Sony seems to be having the same problem Nintendo was having last gen: lots of hardware sold but nobody is buying any games or anything for it.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Robert Kalmar said:
Robert Kalmar said:
Lightknight said:
Rayman isn't an adult game, is it? Their statement would still allow for Rayman development. Are we just going to ignore that they specified mature titles like Assassin's Creed rather than say, Just Dance 8 or whatever?
It's not an adult game, yet it's not a casual game like Just Dance either. It's in the "for everyone" category like Mario games. The funny thing is AFAIK, Just Dance sold barely better, than AC games on Wii U. Sure, it's a smaller budget game, but why is it ok to sell just 280k of Just Dance and not ok to sell 260k of AC3? But really, i won't miss these games on the platform... I'm done with UbiSoft AAA games since AC Brotherhood, it made me lose all my faith in their big budget games. Yeah, i know i'm part of the problem, but there is a problem for a reason... Mainly: Nintendo fans don't want dark and gritty "Mature" games on their platform. They bought a Nintendo platform for a simple reason: they want colorful and fun games, which can be played by anyone. I play "mature" games mainly on my PC and local coop with my friends on my Wii U.
It's funny how you answered your own question. "Why is it ok for a much lower budget game to sell 280K when the much much higher budget game AC3 sold 260K and was called a failure".

Because its lower budget. It's as simple as that.

Well yeah, but i don't think that ZombiU was a huge budget title either. It reeks "i'm a budget title!" all over the place. The graphics are poor, it would be even poor on the GameCube, there are little variety to enemies and locations etc. Yet it sold around 700k and Ubi considers it poor numbers. I think it's just BS and they want to jump on the "Nintendo is for kids and casuals" bandwagon. Well, frankly it can be true... At least kids like creativity and fun games.
Saying kids like anything is stupid. Kids have the lowest standards ever, and taking their word for quality is like asking a stock broker on the quality of a new type of cement.

Secondly, Nintendo HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOR KIDS AND CASUALS. As in, even back in the days of the NES. They have never pushed or made even mildly less kid focused games.

Thirdly, ZombiU sold well because it was pretty much the only game to buy on the WiiU, and foolish Nintendo supporters who bought day 1 had nothing else to buy, and even their refusal to buy third party games had to cave into the horrifying realization the only Nintendo game on the system was the incredibly massive disappointment of Nintendoland.

Fourthly, people are way too quick to say "It had bad graphics for Gamecube". It looked like a 7th gen videogame, like all WiiU games. People rose tint the Gamecube so heavily its hilarious. The system looks far worse then any modern title, no matter how bad it looks. Fuck, the vast majority of Gamecube games had worse graphics then Deadly Premonition.
Nintendo has always been for kids and casuals?

You know, with every post you make, it's becoming more and more obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Where do you think the term, "Nintendo Hard" originated? The NES had a lot of hardcore games, like Ninja Gaiden, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Mega Man, and the Japanese SMB2, which didn't come to America because they thought it would be too hard for Western gamers. It was specifically meant for people who had mastered the first SMB game.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
I think the big problem with Nintendo and this second screen bullshit is that they, nor any other developer, has never had both the talent nor the effort to actually try and give a reason that explains its existence. Just ONE game is all I ask to prove it.
Pikmin 3

Okay, you like HUDs being gone, personally I don't mind on screen HUDs. I enjoy off-screen play, you don't care (though it is a cool feature when you can use it). Many games have made great use of the two screens, it's become clear that you haven't been paying attention if all you think they've done with the dual screens is "remove HUD."

Some games use the two screens to create better vertical levels and playspace, some games use them to tell two stories at the same time; others use the second screen to display information that couldn't fit on a unintrusive HUD. Lets not even count the number of mechanics even I have missed or have not been utilized yet.

It never was, it never has been, and every attempt to make it so has either been through gimicky minigame bullshit or has been a complete failure that has done nothing but hurt games.
And with that you've proven my assumption that you really haven't given these games any real chance.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't get why so many Nintendo fans are so upset. Folks, the company primarily focuses on kid/family-oriented games. If a third party dev wants to save their more mature oriented game for a more fitting console, what's the problem?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nintendo is dead in the water already. To maneuver the WiiU into being the 'winner' of the generation, it'd be like driving a car with the tires popped. The console has failed to gain third party support. Again. It will come last. Again. Do you know what the PS4 has? Third party support. Playstation has a history of great third party exclusives. All of Sony's competitors have shown themselves to be failures in one way or another. They have literally had this generation handed to them in good quality packaging. This isn't even fanboy shit talking. If you think Sony hasn't won, you havn't been paying attention. The Xbone cant even get decent sales when it gets exclusives anymore. It's like a drowning man who cant be pulled out of the water because he insisted on tying himself to an anvil when he fell in.
Yes, the ps4 is hot right now. In fact there was just an article here today about how Sony execs are worried it might burn up too quick and end up like the wii. The thing is, people are buying the ps4 but they aren't using it; buying all the different stuff you can buy on it.
At the same time you're right, I'm not about to buy up shares of Nintendo right now and I'm glad I sold them when I did; made a bundle. I don't even want a WiiU. However, if the ancient Greek god of video games came to me and said that I must have a current gen console in my home as tribute to him, I would have to make it a WiiU.
It's not about third party support for me. I have to have a good PC anyway, I get all the third party support I want through that. The WiiU is the only system that seems to still have plenty of local multiplayer: the reason I want a game machine hooked up to the living room TV. That might change in the next generation if they decide to charge for online multiplayer too but for now they're the only ones who seem to remember the point of console gaming.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Even as a strong supporter of PCs I have to say thats stupid. The nearly all of the best games last gen were console exclusives.
"Well that's just like, you're opinion man."
All my favorite games from last generation (Fallouts/TES, Borderlands, Bioshock, GTA) were on the PC; some were in much better shape too.
Not to mention that the PC gets exclusives that I like a lot more than the console exclusives.

Saying kids like anything is stupid. Kids have the lowest standards ever, and taking their word for quality is like asking a stock broker on the quality of a new type of cement.

Secondly, Nintendo HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOR KIDS AND CASUALS. As in, even back in the days of the NES. They have never pushed or made even mildly less kid focused games.
They sold Chiller for the NES. Anyone else here old enough to remember Chiller? If they made that game now, it would get an AO rating.

Kids are adults with less experiences: some are stupid, some are smart, some have high standards and some have ChuckECheese.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Translation: "Money is icky and we don't like touching it."

You know, guys, for a business, your bottom line is more than a little wonky.
This decision is the opposite of that. No profit, no production - that is a fundamental law of capitalist enterprise. If they are not making as high a profit as they would like to turn off of mature Wii U games, their time will be spent on more profitable endeavors than porting their mature games.

After all, time you are spending on a Wii U port that won't sell very many copies is time you are not spending on more profitable endeavors.