Ubisoft Sees No Profit or Point in Wii U Mature Titles

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Robert Kalmar said:
Anyway, Nintendo tends to start every single generation except the Wii by pushing a small bit into more mature games, then immediately abandoning that and just hoping it'll stay afloat. In the end, it causes its ratio of kiddy to mature to be around 12:1, and that 1 is always 90% shit. I'll admit Sony doesn't really do it much either in the reverse, but when they do, they really tend to succeed quite consistently Knack aside.
You just called Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Sin and Punishment 2, Resident Evil 4 (it was originally a GC exclusive) shit? Man... you must live a very sad life :/ Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story is regarded as the best JRPGs in the last generation...

EDIT: Few more words: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. 'nuff said i think. But i don't really know who was the target demography of that one... Maybe no one?
Just for reference, Resident Evil 4 was eventually put on PC and PS2 as well. Because compared to how well it should have sold with such a big IP, it sold terribly on Gamecube. Still, I have to admit the controls on the wii version were pretty damn good...

The rest? You basically just listed nearly the entire list of the Wiis more mature games. Like, every one. Regardless, only Metroid Prime 3 is actually Nintendo.

Those JRPGs I cant argue against, I haven't played them, although the only stuff I've heard about Xenoblade Chronicles was an above average JRPG. Kinda, Final Fantasy X levels of good. So worth playing, but not amazing. And anyway, there was a ton of great JRPGs on the PS3, if you make sure to ignore FFXIII.
Yes, eventually it was ported, but Nintendo funded the game heavily. It was among the big Capcom Five for GameCube.

Nope, Monolith Soft is a first party studio since Xenoblade, so it's Nintendo now. Also, i think The Last Story was published by Nintendo. And i didn't. I didn't mentioned Red Steel, Mad World, No More Heroes, Star Wars game, CoD games, Dead Space, 3 Resident Evil games (counting RE4 Wii Edition, which is still the definitive version). Should i go on? Stop being ignorant please. Wii had mature titles, but sadly, it was largery ignored, because everyone labeled it the "shovelware" machine. Their loss...

Are we living on the same planet? Xenoblade an above average JRPG? http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/xenoblade-chronicles. You call this critical and user reception above average? I'm feeling you are just here to troll. Did the Wii hurt your feelings as a kid or why do you hate it for no reason? It's NOT on FFX levels good. FFX was never good... The only saving grace of FFX was it's combat system and Auron. For me, only FF13 trilogy beats it as the worst FF game. Most PS3 JRPGs were above average, that DID nothing to move the genre forward. Tales of games were fun... until the PS3 was flooded with it, with absolutely nothing to differentiate themselves from each other. I got bored of Xillia and just quit it without finishing. I won't buy any Tales of games, until they take a break and make a really good one, not just rehash last year's game (Xillia 2 is even worst). Eternal Sonata is probably the best of the bunch, but you have to admit it, it didn't tried to move the genre forward a little bit. Didn't started Ni No Kuni, but it also looked pretty traditional. Nothing wrong with being traditional, but at least make it a good game... Like SMT games. I can't think of any other JRPGs that actually blew my mind away like Xenoblade and The Last Story did.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
I actually have played Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. It was a pretty fucking good game. Possibly better then Smash Bros. Its a damn shame it didn't sell, probably because everyone assumed it would be a bad Smash Bros clone.
I'm really starting to feel you are just a Sonypony :/ Really, i'm ignoring you. PASBR is an f-ing horrible game. It's fun level is close to minus infinity. It's Sonys biggest failure, right beside Knack. More, than half of it's roster isn't even Sony characters! Sony realized, they have no strong franchises like Nintendo and dropped in third party characters, so the roster wouldn't be around 6 characters... It was so good, the studio was shut down (Sony is really good at this one...) few weeks after launch.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Ubisoft fails again, such as shitty dev/publisher.

Don't worry Ubi I'll be sure not to buy your games (on PC or ANY console).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Maybe he would have a point if Ubisoft didn't gimp to hell their wii U ports or delay them 5 months after everyone else. Why would i buy a shitty port of AC on the Wii U when i fan buy the better product on Steam?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Nintendo is dead in the water already. To maneuver the WiiU into being the 'winner' of the generation, it'd be like driving a car with the tires popped. The console has failed to gain third party support. Again. It will come last. Again. Do you know what the PS4 has? Third party support. Playstation has a history of great third party exclusives. All of Sony's competitors have shown themselves to be failures in one way or another. They have literally had this generation handed to them in good quality packaging. This isn't even fanboy shit talking. If you think Sony hasn't won, you havn't been paying attention. The Xbone cant even get decent sales when it gets exclusives anymore. It's like a drowning man who cant be pulled out of the water because he insisted on tying himself to an anvil when he fell in.
Yes, the ps4 is hot right now. In fact there was just an article here today about how Sony execs are worried it might burn up too quick and end up like the wii. The thing is, people are buying the ps4 but they aren't using it; buying all the different stuff you can buy on it.
At the same time you're right, I'm not about to buy up shares of Nintendo right now and I'm glad I sold them when I did; made a bundle. I don't even want a WiiU. However, if the ancient Greek god of video games came to me and said that I must have a current gen console in my home as tribute to him, I would have to make it a WiiU.
It's not about third party support for me. I have to have a good PC anyway, I get all the third party support I want through that. The WiiU is the only system that seems to still have plenty of local multiplayer: the reason I want a game machine hooked up to the living room TV. That might change in the next generation if they decide to charge for online multiplayer too but for now they're the only ones who seem to remember the point of console gaming.
Even as a strong supporter of PCs I have to say thats stupid. The nearly all of the best games last gen were console exclusives.
Yup. It's why I had a Wii, for the good console exclusives. As far as the other consoles? PC got almost everything worth getting on the consoles. There were a few PS3 exclusives worth getting (Ni No Kuni and Drakengard 3 come to mind), but PC plays almost every non-Nintendo game worth getting. Usually at better quality than what the console could pump out. Unless it was a poorly done port.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
When's the last time Ubisoft made a mature title anyway? Far Cry 2? That was clearly aimed at mature gamers. The original Assassin's Creed was actually pretty mature. Yet all of their games now seem to have the gameplay reduced to the point that the games seem to be aimed at young children with how simple they all are. Or does Ubisoft think that simplicity + blood + sex = maturity or something?

Edit: I somehow forgot about Zombi U. That game is actually pretty good and definitely contains mature gameplay. I don't really associate it with Ubisoft for some reason now. Probably due to the direction their other games seem to take these days. I was genuinely surprised when I realised that Ubisoft had published it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I do understand why. The Wii U has very low sales, both hardware and for games, so I understand why Ubisoft are pulling out, but it does create a vicious cycle. Of No Games > No Hardware Sales > Nobody wants to make games.

This has always been an issue for Nintendo consoles, but I never really understood why this always happens to them.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aiddon said:
Chris Ingersoll said:
Also Watch Dogs for Wii U is going to tank because there's been a five-month delay between its release and its launch everywhere else. If you're going to treat the system as an afterthought, don't be surprised when consumers do the same to your product on it.
That's the thing; 3rd parties have basically not had to want for anything for the last three generations. They got what they wanted when they wanted it and the thought of having to put EFFORT into getting an audience is an idea that is completely lost on them. They basically expected to sell millions despite just farting them out onto the Wii U with little to no fair. And that's before you get into the conspicuous absence of anything on the 3DS despite it being cheap to develop for and the most numerous system right now. These guys make no sense. They just come off as incompetent numbskulls who don't know how business is supposed to work.
To be fair, many companies have been saying this since about halfway through the last gen about the Wii. Mature games flopped so much on the Wii Capcom and Sega said the same thing after some of their great titles came out and flopped hard.

So no, 3rd parties did not get what they always wanted last few gens as you say. Especially not with Nintendo. Remember the failure of the Capcom 5?

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
AJ_Lethal said:
Ubi, if you treated the Wii U as an afterthought of course nobody will buy your shit.
Rayman and Zombi U weren't an afterthought.
Explain the stupid-ass delay of Rayman, then. Even Michael Ancel was pissed at that.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
Not to utterly derail the topic here, but it's stuff like that this just proves my point that it was silly for Platinum Games to make any sort of deal with Nintendo because Bayonetta 2 is going to sell a fraction of a percentage of an iota of a scintilla of what the original sold on the 360/PS3. The vast majority of WiiU owners aren't into mature games (not that much of Bayonetta could be called mature with a straight face, and God bless 'em for it), or games that are too challenging. People buy Nintendo consoles because they like Nintendo games. People buy consoles and PCs because they like all other games. It's really just that simple.
Agreed. If and more likely when Bayonetta 2 flops, Nintendo's going choose not to renew whatever contract they have with them, like Sega did previously.

People have to remember, Nintendo was the company that forced Midway to make the Nintendo ports of early Mortal Kombat games more child friendly by toning down the fatalities and changing the colour of the blood. They did the same to Capcom with Final Fight.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LysanderNemoinis said:
Not to utterly derail the topic here, but it's stuff like that this just proves my point that it was silly for Platinum Games to make any sort of deal with Nintendo because Bayonetta 2 is going to sell a fraction of a percentage of an iota of a scintilla of what the original sold on the 360/PS3. The vast majority of WiiU owners aren't into mature games (not that much of Bayonetta could be called mature with a straight face, and God bless 'em for it), or games that are too challenging. People buy Nintendo consoles because they like Nintendo games. People buy consoles and PCs because they like all other games. It's really just that simple.
Hasn't Platinum claimed this was the only way the game was getting made? I would think, especially from the fan perspective, that it being made at all (which is what they wanted) was better than it not being made at all. I would think this would also benefit Platinum if they wanted to make the game. At best, perhaps, it was a silly move for Nintendo, but hey, this is a community that laments that gaming doesn't take more risks. I say give the Devil (May Cry style game) its due.