Ubisoft Survey May Reveal Sony NGP Price

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Ubisoft Survey May Reveal Sony NGP Price

A Ubisoft-sponsored survey has revealed that the NGP's prices, for both the 3G and non-3G models, are actually rather reasonable.

The survey, titled "Ubisoft- NGP concept- US Adults" asked several questions concerning the likelihood of the person surveyed buying the NGP if "the retail price of the Sony NGP is expected to be around $350." Another question makes mention of a second, non-3G enabled version of the device, and sets its price at about $250.

This is by no means an official announcement of the NGP's prices, as it comes from a survey sponsored by Ubisoft, a third-party developer, and not Sony itself. However, considering the prices are about what previous rumors had suggested (and that Ubisoft is a damn big developer, for what it's worth) this new rumor can't be completely ignored.

If the rumor is true, then the prices are rather reasonable. Maybe a little high on the 3G-enabled one, but not outrageous, either. Considering its main competition will be the 3DS, which is priced at $250 and does not have 3G, the non-3G price is, pardon the pun, right on the money.

Source: Scrawl [http://kotaku.com/#!5782436/ngp-to-be-priced-at-250-but-also-350]

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
People still trust Sony enough to buy stuff from them?

Bonus video from The Onion
[MEDIA=youtube]8AyVh1_vWYQ[/MEDIA][/spoiler]

[hr]

P.S.
Is posting broken in Firefox? I had to switch to Chrome for this...

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Depending on what features the 3G enabled NGP has, I might get it. I'm sure they've been announced, but I'm too lazy to dig for them at the moment. Either way I think the non 3G enabled version is a reasonable price.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
No way. There is no way this costs 350 dollars... I think Ubisoft might be guessing to try to understand what the market uptake of the NGP might be at certain price points...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Well shit. If it is 350 I might end up buying it, and if 250 is the non 3G (since I'd never use that bullshit anyways) I'll end up preordering the mother effer.

I loved having my PS1 collection on the first one. It would be neat to see what is accomplished with this one.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
$250? That would be the coup de grace in this battle, methinks, especially if Sony has a strong E3 showing. Even if Sony takes a bit of a loss, this one act could decide the situation in their favor, especially with the relative lack of enthusiasm I've caught in the Western coverage of the Japanese 3DS launch.

First recaptcha: "ecesedu" followed by a rough mathematical formula. How in all of Westeros am I supposed to type this:

?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I don't care about the price, I just want some sort of confirmation that Mother Hunter will be on it. Sony can charge me $10,000 for all I care as long as I get Monster Hunter

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
They'de never recover from the amount of money lost if they sold it for that but i'de buy it

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I am not a handheld gamer, I hardly ever play my DS, but damn if the NGP/PSP2/Whateverthefuck Sony wants to call it is $250, that's be a helluvah bargain I'd say.

However, we have yet to see too many games with it. The main thing I recall seeing was the Uncharted PSP game, which looked damn gorgeous.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
That's not fair, it can't be that little. I don't want to spend another $250 (+ the "screw you, you'll pay more because you live in the UK" extra) but if they really put it up for that much, I'd have to buy it. Damn them.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Honestly, I'll be very suprised if it ends up costing only $250/$350, especially considering Sony's claim how they don't want to follow a loss-leader plan this time around.

I think this is Ubisoft being optimistic rather than any indication of what the final price will be. Infact, depending on how Sony will actually price the handheld, this might actually be detrimental, since it sets up expectations.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that's surprisingly reasonable!! I might just buy it!
But I don't think they'll really sell it for 250.

zedel

Sep 16, 2010
sunami88 said:

[hr]

P.S.
Is posting broken in Firefox? I had to switch to Chrome for this...[/QUOTE]
As much as I really want this, I'm not going to buy it. This guy^ is right.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
sunami88 said:

[hr]

P.S.
Is posting broken in Firefox? I had to switch to Chrome for this...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the pretty decent reasons to not invest in sony products. But personally handling with them they never gave me too much to be mad about even now I can buy ps3s that still have backwards compability and psn retro games makes for a promising future so like. Yeah.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Sony is an evil word in my house. Too bad too... I actually liked FFTactics.

Now? I just have no reason to support them since they think that customers are evil to have.