Ubisoft Vancouver Closes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Vancouver Closes

Ubisoft has closed its Vancouver development studio.

Roughly three years ago, Ubisoft acquired the Vancouver-based studio Action Pants, which at the time employed more than 110 people and was working on a Wii-exclusive sports game. The publisher said, apparently without irony, that "this synergy will provide all of our staff with new and exciting opportunities, as well as resources that will benefit all of our future products."

But things apparently didn't work out quite as planned, as Ubisoft has announced that the studio, rechristened to Ubisoft Vancouver, is closing down. Full-time staff had already been cut to 75 and its most recent work, according to Academy of Champions: Soccer [http://www.develop-online.net/news/39520/Ubisoft-shuts-down-Vancouver-studio].

"Ubisoft confirms that we have made the difficult decision to close its studio in Vancouver," a Ubisoft rep told Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/17/ubisoft-closes-vancouver-studio.aspx]. "Unfortunately, we haven't found the right formula for success for the talented team there. We thank our Vancouver team for their hard work and the projects that they have delivered."

The rep added that employees at the studio will be given the opportunity to "consider" positions in other Ubisoft studios, of which there are many, including three remaining in Canada. "We will work with each of them to help find the next best step, whether it be within Ubisoft or outside," the rep added. As always, we wish the best to everyone affected by the closure.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Ubisoft acquired the Vancouver-based studio Action Pants,
This is the greatest name ever why would you rebrand that?

Clearly, failure rests completly on the loss of this name.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well now im calling it, Ubisoft is trying to follow in EA's footsteps. The only thing they have left to do to live up to EA's standards in the late 00's is run most of its well known IP's into the ground. And the early signs of it are already showing in Assassins Creed.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Is anybody else having trouble feeling sorry for Ubisoft? I mean, sucks to the employees, and I feel for them, but honestly my first thouht when I read the headline was "Ha ha!"

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Ubi...

EA did this whole "obviously super evil games corporation" thing 3 years ago. You're not original.

Please stop. It's kind of embarrassing.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Well they're continuing to outsource good Canadian gaming jobs to the Middle East.
I don't know. I doubt Assassin's Creed would go over well there.

gigastar said:
Well now im calling it, Ubisoft is trying to follow in EA's footsteps. The only thing they have left to do to live up to EA's standards in the late 00's is run most of its well known IP's into the ground. And the early signs of it are already showing in Assassins Creed.
All they need to do now is to release the same stagnant licenced football game for several years and create a shitty Steam knockoff.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Well they're continuing to outsource good Canadian gaming jobs to the Middle East.

Hmm, i don't know about that, the biggest Ubi studios are still in Canada (not even France hehe...)