Ubisoft Writer Predicts No Gay Game Heroes Anytime Soon

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Before reading the article, I was going to jokingly comment on the amazing sporting of the classic 'gay biker tash' Lucien Soulban has (what a name! Add an E on the end and it would reach levels of awesome i couldnt possibly describe!).
But after reading said article, my joke now lays dead on the floor. In the gutter. I browse outdoors.

Some have mentioned fear effect, but wasnt that just anime lesbians for the sole enjoyment of seedy male gamers? Not quite the point that this article is sharing.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Chaosritter said:
I could sympathize with the mourning man who seeks refuge in combat, but a gay guy who starts a new relationship a week after his beloved husband was killed by alien invaders seems pretty stereotypical...
Definitely haven't heard of that stereotype.

Seems more like a way to show off how suave and smooth your Shep is. Even though hitting on someone who's in mourning and vulnerable is it's own skeevy trope.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Sanunes said:
Pink Apocalypse said:
Chaosritter said:
Well, Bioware went so far to turn an established, definitively straight character gay in ME 3. I'm afraid we'll see such sudden changes of preference more often now.

Besides, what about Fear Effect? That franchise has two VERY clearly homosexual main characters, yet nobody ever mentions it.

Besides, in case somebody wonders about Mass effect:

It's Kaidan
Was it a straight character 'turned gay'? Or was it a bisexual character that remained bisexual?

Weird how people still insist on black-or-white absolutes.
I think the comment was that in Mass Effect 1 Kaiden was only interested in a Female Shepard, but in Mass Effect 3 he would approach Shepard (regardless of gender) if Shepard wasn't already in another relationship.
People come out of the closet. Meh. It happens.

What's revealing is how upset people get over it, and the lengths they'll go to justify their reaction.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogames have stopped 'announcing' gay characters," he said. "They're introducing them without much fanfare in an effort to say, 'Yeah, it's there and pretty normal.' Call it, 'We're here, we're queer, and we're busy working'."
that is best way to handle a well rounded character in general no matter what sexuallity. Sexuallity is merely a part of a person's life not their defining characteristic or something to make a big deal about.

AntiChri5 said:
I would love a game where you are the stereotypical "mid-30s stubbly-bearded brown-haired white guy with a raspy voice" whose lover (who has a gender neutral name) was abducted by the villain. After fighting through all the bad guys, he is finally reunited with his lover who turns out to be a dude. The reactions would be so goddamn funny.

Anyway, what about New Vegas? I was under the impression that that handled it's gay characters rather well too.
yeah I agree new vegas does handle writing gay characters pretty well. It handles writing well in general.
I feel like playing new vegas after not touching much for over a year. It can't hurt to add to my the almost 900 hour(according to steam) I already played.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Chaosritter said:
And suddenly I don't like him anymore.

I could sympathize with the mourning man who seeks refuge in combat, but a gay guy who starts a new relationship a week after his beloved husband was killed by alien invaders seems pretty stereotypical...
Actually, Cortez' husband died around a year ago going by the dates on the Mass Effect wiki (Robert was stationed on Ferris Fields, which was attacked by the Collectors in late 2185, while the events of Mass Effect 3 start around July-August of 2186). So while a point could be made that it is rather soon after the whole thing, it's not entirely weird to think of it as possible. Aside from that, to my knowledge it's never actually explored in the game if he is truly ready for a new relationship or if the entire thing will actually last past the current situation.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Pink Apocalypse said:
Sanunes said:
Pink Apocalypse said:
Chaosritter said:
Well, Bioware went so far to turn an established, definitively straight character gay in ME 3. I'm afraid we'll see such sudden changes of preference more often now.

Besides, what about Fear Effect? That franchise has two VERY clearly homosexual main characters, yet nobody ever mentions it.

Besides, in case somebody wonders about Mass effect:

It's Kaidan
Was it a straight character 'turned gay'? Or was it a bisexual character that remained bisexual?

Weird how people still insist on black-or-white absolutes.
I think the comment was that in Mass Effect 1 Kaiden was only interested in a Female Shepard, but in Mass Effect 3 he would approach Shepard (regardless of gender) if Shepard wasn't already in another relationship.
People come out of the closet. Meh. It happens.

What's revealing is how upset people get over it, and the lengths they'll go to justify their reaction.
Even if it was a case of the character coming out of the closet, it's still worth complaining about since they clearly did a terrible job with it and instead of addressing it just made it kind of happen. I don't think it's a case of people being upset because he's gay or bisexual as much as being upset because there was no lead in and no explanation which leaves the only reasonable conclusion to be that it was shitty writing one way or the other.

Not that I'm overly surprised. Bioware are writing hacks anyway.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Dont really care, most games arent about who the main character wants to bang and in the same way that no gay protagonists are coming we dont really need straight protagonists either.

What I am saying is that most of the times we dont need to know about their sex life (Gears of War is a great example, they never say if Marcus is straight or not and honestly it doesnt matter).

Aug 31, 2012
I think you are all missing the most important part of this report. There is a man named Lucien Soulban. Lucien Soulban. He shouldn't be making videogames, videogames should be made about him.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Which is another reason I didn't like the implications from Last of Us. It wasn't added to "enhance the character", it was added to check off a box on someone's "equality" checklist. And that's sad
Apparently "make him awesome" was also on the checklist.

So it's fine in my book.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Falterfire said:
Given that the AAA execs seem to think the gaming audience is still in the 'girls have cooties' phase of gender relations, at least as it applies to protagonist selection, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's right.
Given the overall reaction of the community, I'm not sure they're wrong about gamers (overall) and their opinions on girls and cooties.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
My character in SR4 is pansexual, boning robots, aliens, men and women. Although Kinzie is his favourite. I don't see the issue with gay people in games, they are not a threat. It seems bigoted not to have gay people in games.

At least in open world games you can be as sexual as you want.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BigTuk said:
That word Demonstrably is very important to this statement. Quick , what's the difference between a gay man and a straight man? What they do in their bedrooms and who they do it with. which is usually not something you see. Get what I'm saying.

There's nothing that says the dudes in COntra for the NES were straight or gay...
There's rather a lot more to romance than sex.

It's funny; whenever the possibility of gay characters gets brought up, it always gets reduced to sex.

EDIT: I apologise if that wasn't your intention.