Ubisoft's Red Steel 2 Will Use Wii's MotionPlus

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Ubisoft's Red Steel 2 Will Use Wii's MotionPlus

The Wii MotionPlus peripheral will be put to use in the upcoming Ubisoft title Red Steel 2.

"Red Steel 2 has been in development for many months now, and this new device will help us be even more precise in what we do with the product," executive producer Alain Corre said about the sequel.

He said the newly announced Nintendo technology was not ready when the Red Steel (pictured) first appeared, but that the gadget's 1:1 mapping capabilities will pave the way for greater gameplay options in the sequel.

"[O]ur game tried to grab the best out of [the Wii], and was a bit rushed to be sure to offer something in year one to Wii consumers," Corre said.

He also offered thoughts on why many third-party publishers were flailing on the Wii, saying, "A lot of games are made in less than a year, but they're not great products and they're not selling at all. So it takes some time to develop good games."

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ubisoft-embraces-wii-motionplus-for-red-steel-sequel]

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
First, it's at least nice to see the team admit the first game was rushed, although I didn't find it as unplayable as some.

Second, the Wii MotionPlus is what the swordplay from the original sorely needed.

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
I have not the time nor will to read up on the "WiiMotion Plus"-thingy, but when they talk about 1:1 mapping, does it mean that the movements done with the controller will be translated exactly the same to the game? In that case, yes, that's definitely what the Wii needs.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
It's a nice accessory but slightly annoying to have to pay for yet another accessory that will most likely be a requirement for some games this is getting worse then the Sixaxis/dualshock 3 thing.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
"So it takes some time to develop good games."
I was unaware of this, I thought you could rush games through development without any concern whatsoever.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
At least he sort of admits he screwed up a bit with his first game. Honestly, no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't freaking stab anything.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
A reason to finaly buy the Wii? There is still a sliver of hope, redemption is near Nintendo.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
sammyfreak said:
A reason to finaly buy the Wii? There is still a sliver of hope, redemption is near Nintendo.
I'm almost considering GIVING mine away even with this news

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed RS1, didn't realise that they were making a sequel seeing that I thought it was universally panned. I'm looking forward to this.