Uh Oh, Sony Abandons The Last Guardian's Trademark

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Uh Oh, Sony Abandons The Last Guardian's Trademark

Is The Last Guardian set to become vaporware?

According to an update filed on the website of the NeoGAF [http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85700141&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch], Sony's trademark for its much-hyped seldom-seen upcoming Team Ico title The Last Guardian has lapsed. The report states that the trademark expired because the company failed to request an extension for its use.

However, this does not necessarily mean that the game has been cancelled. You may remember that back in 2012, the The Last Guardian was in full development [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118977-Update-Sony-Abandons-The-Last-Guardian-Trademark].

So what does this lapsed trademark mean? Well, apart from the dreaded "the game has been cancelled" scenario, it could simply mean that Sony plans to re-reveal the game under a new title. After all, it has been over five years since it was first announced, initially as a PS3 title. It would not be too surprising for Sony to change it to a PS4 game and give it a fresh start with a new name.

It could also simply be a case of someone at Sony forgetting to request an extension, but considering this exact situation had already happened before, we would assume that the "trademark extension guy" would be more on the ball.

You had one job, trademark extension guy!

Source: Video Gamer [http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/the_last_guardian/news/sony_abandons_the_last_guardian_trademark.html]

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I want it to happen, but at this rate it's going to be the next DNF.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So this game has been in development for how long now? This is just kind of sad. I've only played half of the Shadow of the Colossus but I know that the Team Ico guys put a lot of love in their work. It's sad to see the trouble this game is going through.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I would love to see this game.

I would also love to see Half Life: Ep. 3.

I'm convinced both will never exist outside of rumors.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Wow. Just earlier today I wondered out of nowhere "I wonder what's going on with TLG?" I must be subtly psychic.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Considering it happened in the recent past (well, recent as far as the game's development goes), my jimmies aren't quite rustled yet. Ueda apparently talked in December and said it's business as usual. I'm waiting for clearer evidence. Last time this happened, people said this didn't mean much and Sony renewed it again soon after anyways. Crisis averted.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
By now I really don't care anymore.
I don't have a PS4 to begin with, and even if it was released, I doubt it would be in good condition. Any game that's been in developement for this long is bound to have issues.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I don't have a PS4 yet, but I think this would be the system seller for me. So if you want my money Sony, get it done.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I just don't know what to think about this, though I can't say I'm optimistic. I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and hope that we do get something from Team Ico even if it isn't TLG.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Oh yeah that game, the HL3 of sony, and just like HL3 I lost interest in this thing a long time ago... so yeah can we just let it die a peaceful death rather than force it to suffer until we get a twisted abomination like duke nukem forever? If it comes out one day and its amazing, well ok I will happily eat my words, but I'm sick of hearing about this thing...

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah, I mean this was a game announced near the beginning of the PS3 era, and after three years I kinda gave up. Honsetly it sucks for the studio, but this was not an unexpected movie by Sony TBH

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Next Gen Duke Nukem/Half Life 3.

It'll never die and it'll never get released. Well Nukem did but look what happened.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
One. Job. Steven!

I wish someone, somewhere, would get their act together. This game is wanted. It will sell. And it's supposedly being made by a company that has a very loyal fan base. And yet...it continues to just spin its wheels and all we see is that same screen shot of the griffon and the boy in articles.

Now, perhaps they have got the bright idea to release this on the PS4 as a way to move consoles. That reasoning I can understand, but that doesn't explain the past four years or so.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Starik20X6 said:
I don't have a PS4 yet, but I think this would be the system seller for me. So if you want my money Sony, get it done.
Funny. I said this nearly 5 years ago but for the PS3.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
I've always had a very hard time trying to understand the insane, almost Half Life 3 level of hype that this game has going for it. I mean it looks interesting and has incredible potential, but we don't really know anything about it right? As far as I know, and I might be wrong, there has be zero indication of even what the gameplay will be like. It has a great concept, but those are often doomed to fail because the execution can't match them. But so far nothing we've seen of the game indicated that it'll be any good.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
A long while back, I had actually thought Team Ico had finished and released the The Last Guardian, and simply renamed it Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. It turns out, that it was actually a different game altogether, but with a similar concept of a kid and a giant creature.

Given how long it's been since Team Ico have actually released a game (aside from the HD collection of Ico and Shadow of Colossus), I'm surprised Sony's still been keeping them around, or not cancelled the project. Would they not be losing money on a company that has been taking this long to develop a game, without others aside from a HD collection being released by them in the meantime? They must really have confidence that this title will sell, even after this extensive development time.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Dalisclock said:
I would love to see this game.

I would also love to see Half Life: Ep. 3.

I'm convinced both will never exist outside of rumors.
This is...unfortunately probably going to be true.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Sony digs through closet for Yard Sale.

Pulls out Steve Jobs movie script. "Don't need this."
Pulls out Zipper Interactive & Insomniac. "Or these."
Pulls out Square Enix stock. "Or this."
Pulls out a Walkman, Discman & Ericsson. "Time to move on."
Pulls out a Vaio. "Or this."
Pulls out Last Guardians. "Or this."
Pulls out 10,000+ employees. "Got WAY too many of these."
Pulls out Sony Online Entertainment. "Don't need this."
Pulls out NY HQ. "I've lost too much weight to keep this."