UK Court Force Chokes George Lucas's Copyright Lawsuit

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
vansau said:
The High Court and Court of Appeal ruled in Ainsworth's favor, and the Supreme Court just followed suit. While Ainsworth is undoubtedly thrilled -after all, he turns a pretty tidy profit on the helmets and sets of armor- Lucasfilm clearly is pretty angry. After the ruling, a spokesperson for the film stated, "We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain. The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy."
Because when I think Piracy, I think illegally downloading Stormtrooper Helmets O.O

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Bawwwww Lucas is sour. Nobody cares what he thinks anymore since he displays so much contempt for his fans.

This result gets my seal of approval!

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
jamiedf said:
lastly, there is no pandoras box here, this was already an established piece of legislation, in fact if the decisions would have had disastrous consequences, then the courts wouldnt have ruled against lucasfilms because in those situations, the courts weight up the potential flood gate of problems there rulings will have, against the rights of the parties, and if they deem the decision would have massive repercussions, they would rule against it
Well there goes my dreams of moving to the UK and starting a business making movie prop knock offs. :D
haha, you still can, thats why this case is stupid, because anyone can make a replica, solong as you say its a replica, so everyone saying its a problem because everyone can now go out making those suits are dense, because they could already do that.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
elvor0 said:
KeyMaster45 said:
"We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain. The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy.
Because it's so wrong for the guy who designed and made them originally to make money off of his own work.

What a load of crap, there is no "pandora's box" that's been opened by this case. The guy has a leg to stand on legally because he's the one who made the damn things in the first place. The situation would be completely different if it was Joe blow off the streets making the armor and turning a profit.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that a contract would have protected George Lucas' every growing mountain of money had he taken the time to write it up back in the 70's instead of just assuming he could rip off a struggling 27 year old art student.
While I agree the artist should've won this case, it DOES open a can of worms, as the ruling means that anyone in the UK can make them. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about sealing up that can of worms, as I think it should be limited to Lucas Arts and the Artist making them, otherwise now any shmuck can make them and not be in infringement of copy write (and as much as I think George Lucas is a hack these days) and that just isn't right, as it does technically cut into the artists theoretical IP rights of the Storm Troopers physical look. While it now official has no IP protection, it was still his idea, and he's won...but at a cost, if you catch my drift.
But what is the worst that can happen. You mean that the Star Wars brand might be cheapened for mass profits?

LUCAS ALREADY DID THAT!!!

With the entire prequel trilogy and even before that with the "special" editions on Star Wars trilogy, in fact I'd say Star Wars is in batter hands with any moderately loyal Star Wars fan than GL himself.

George is fucking up everything he did, he fucked up Indy 4 as well. Someone stop this madman!

I don't know where he went crazy. Was it the complete lack of academy recognition? Was it that he made more money selling toys to kids than movies to adults? Was it too many intolerable fan conventions? or was it simply that to even make Star Wars in 1977 takes a certain amount of crazy that means you can't just follow through with it later in life.

Look, I get it that Lucas wants to try new things, but if he wants to do that he should create a brand new IP and leave Star Wars to people who actually respect and love it.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Chronamut said:
This makes me lose a fair bit of respect for George Lucas. I wonder what Lucas does with all his money anyhows?
He does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
vansau said:
"The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy."
aww shucks, I was hoping to see more pirates as I wandered down the street!

but O.T well done mate!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Chronamut said:
This makes me lose a fair bit of respect for George Lucas. I wonder what Lucas does with all his money anyhows?
You still had respect for Lucas? I haven't had respect for Lucas in years, in fact I wasn't even the least bit surprised when I read this.

elvor0 said:
While I agree the artist should've won this case, it DOES open a can of worms, as the ruling means that anyone in the UK can make them. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about sealing up that can of worms, as I think it should be limited to Lucas Arts and the Artist making them, otherwise now any shmuck can make them and not be in infringement of copy write (and as much as I think George Lucas is a hack these days) and that just isn't right, as it does technically cut into the artists theoretical IP rights of the Storm Troopers physical look. While it now official has no IP protection, it was still his idea, and he's won...but at a cost, if you catch my drift.
I honestly don't see the problem with any shmuck making the props and selling them. If someone is good at making them and as put in a great amount of effort into making them then I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to sell the.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
tthor said:
ColdStorage said:
If they and Lucas had won, what next? people getting sued for the use of the word "Star"
Or next thing you know, Edge Games will be suing people for using the word "<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104152-Court-to-Cancel-Tim-Langdells-Edge-Trademarks>Edge"!
..wait a minute...
Haha, you'll still get trademark trolls, I'm glad that guy has lost though.

Treblaine said:
(I think there is only one way to describe how I feel about Lucas getting pwnded with Star Wars)

"YEEE HAAAA!!! Great shot, kid. That was one in a million!"
SQUEE!!

Wanna go to Disneyland with me Treblaine!, we'll totally have fun on Star Tours!

Don't look at me like that, Star Tours is a serious theme park ride!*

*Nitrogen is pumped into the "Vehicle" your in while the film plays, because it heightens your senses, Star Tour is Disney and Star Wars getting together to make you high. SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Sir Shockwave said:
vansau said:
The High Court and Court of Appeal ruled in Ainsworth's favor, and the Supreme Court just followed suit. While Ainsworth is undoubtedly thrilled -after all, he turns a pretty tidy profit on the helmets and sets of armor- Lucasfilm clearly is pretty angry. After the ruling, a spokesperson for the film stated, "We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain. The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy."
Because when I think Piracy, I think illegally downloading Stormtrooper Helmets O.O
Sweet! Where can I download them?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Nice to see copyright laws actually protect the artist and not the big Imperial Empir... Corporation.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Akalabeth said:
ColdStorage said:
While I abhor piracy, this is a case of the auteur or maybe the auter's lawyers getting "to big for their boots".

If they and Lucas had won, what next? people getting sued for the use of the word "Star"?
That's not too far off.
Back in the day Lucas sued the guys who made Battletech (which spawn the Mechwarrior and MechCommander games) because the game was originally called Battledroids. Apparently Lucas didn't like them using the word "droid" even though Isaac Asmiov or some author had used the word a decade or more before Star Wars ever came out.

Obviously, they still changed the name to Battletech and Battlemechs.
Holy shit, where does it end?

I better PM one of the mods here, his name is George and I think that constitutes as copyright infringement.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Lucas did the same thing all big corporations do; even if they don't have a strong enough case, they'll sue someone until they run out of money to defend themselves and are ruled against by default. Happens all the time.

Lucas was young and had a vision of what he wanted to do, like this guy, so he just wanted to create and didn't worry about things like contracts and IP rights like he should have, but now that he's made a fortune and cares more about merchandising, he wants to mess with people who are struggling to pay debts.

Fuck you, you greedy fatboy, you've fucked up your story by milking it to death to make a buck without giving a shit about it's quality.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
lucas and money oh noze he has to pay some out. let me grab my hankey to cry for the greedy asshat.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
I honestly would have sided with Lucas in this case, but by the looks of the posts in this thread id be pretty much alone on it.

I do, however, agree with the people saying that Lucas should have attempted to enter into a business agreement with the man and given him exclusive rights to do it while they both profit, but oh well.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Good for him! Lucas has more money than he could spend in 100 lifetimes, and he's suing people who try to make some money out of their own ideas? Not to mention, without this guy, god knows how stormtroopers would look like. If George Lucas had something to do with it they'd probably look like shit.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
jamiedf said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
jamiedf said:
lastly, there is no pandoras box here, this was already an established piece of legislation, in fact if the decisions would have had disastrous consequences, then the courts wouldnt have ruled against lucasfilms because in those situations, the courts weight up the potential flood gate of problems there rulings will have, against the rights of the parties, and if they deem the decision would have massive repercussions, they would rule against it
Well there goes my dreams of moving to the UK and starting a business making movie prop knock offs. :D
haha, you still can, thats why this case is stupid, because anyone can make a replica, solong as you say its a replica, so everyone saying its a problem because everyone can now go out making those suits are dense, because they could already do that.
Yeah but I lied. I'd never move to the UK. Too fucking cold and not enough venomous animals.