UK Getting Xbox 360 Bundles for Star Trek and Transformers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Getting Xbox 360 Bundles for Star Trek and Transformers

Paramount Pictures and Microsoft will be offering up two new Xbox 360 Elite bundles in the UK this holiday season for the DVD releases of the Star Trek reboot and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

UK retailer reports MCV UK [http://www.gem.co.uk/].

Both bundles will contain fairly standard goodies: A themed console, an extra controller, a copy of the respective tie-in game (800 MS points to download the Star Trek XBLA game, that is) and a copy of the respective movie. Perhaps most interestingly of all, though, the movies will not be on DVD, but rather will be provided on custom-themed USB drives.

I've been thinking about this since I read the announcement, and I still can't tell if it's cool or not. There are a few reasons I can think of why Paramount would opt to release the films in digital media format rather than a hard disc (especially strange since the bundles are being sold to promote the release of said discs). True, it does save a bit on packaging, but that's a minor expenditure in the grand scheme of things.

There are three major benefits I can see coming from this. For one, it's probably easier to address regional format differences in digital form than it is with physical media. For another - depending on the size of the USB drive - it could also be a way to deliver HD content to 360 owners without having to rely on Microsoft's streaming technology. Lastly, putting the movie on USB makes reselling it significantly more difficult.

Exact pricing and dates are as of yet unknown, but it makes sense to assume that the bundles' release dates would coincide with that of their respective films on DVD: Star Trek on November 16th and Transformers on November 30th. A Gem Distribution spokesperson suggested that the bundles might not be available through normal retail channels, but instead would be limited to more "indie" retailers.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
A transformers bundle? I would never ever in my life want something like that. Just the fact that the movie comes with the console makes it worthy of being stomped to peaces.

Haven't played the Star Trek game, so can't really tell if that is good or not. I think they could have gone with better choices, like maybe Brütal Legend with lots of rock concerts. I know that wouldn't be an official movie connected to the game, but I'd rather take a bundle with Wolfenstein and documentaries on the second world war over fucking Transformers.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Well, this definetly won't increase my chance of buying a 360 one bit.

Couldn't they have packed it with a good movie like the Dark Knight, or is that owned by Sony?

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I wonder which one will be more popular. Probably the Star Trek one, but it'll be interesting to see if I'm wrong.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
A star trek themed 360? I don't care about the reboot but that still excited my inner nerd

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Set phasers to awesome. It's a shame that these systems are UK-exclusive. I'd go nowhere near the Transformers-themed 360, but if my 360 got another Red Ring of Death, I'd swipe that Star Trek Xbox in an instant.

The only way it could be cooler is if the system's boot-up did away with the 360 logo and replaced it with Patrick Stewart's face proclaiming, "Engage."

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
-Zen- said:
The only way it could be cooler is if the system's boot-up did away with the 360 logo and replaced it with Patrick Stewart's face proclaiming, "Engage."
That is a TERRIFIC idea for a Windows start-up mod... it's just as neat as the Billy Mays Capslock mod.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
I feel lucky I already have a 360...

[sub]Do not quote[/sub]
Why are you doing that, it's just seems silly

OT: The better question is why are these terrible games coming with a 360?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
That is dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The RE5 bundle and the one with Batman were ok. This is dumb. I would prefer the one with Uno over these 2 any day of the week. Who came up with this? What kind of pot were they smoking? Not to mention it actually gives Sony a good idea. A District 9 PS3 bundle since they are already coupling the movie with the God Of War III demo. I just hope they catch on. They better do cause this sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

And again, the idea is dumb. This has to be one of the worst bundles I have ever seen. Transformers and Star Trek? This summer's suckness with one of the most influential and successful consoles in the industry? Why?

luas_dublin

Nov 30, 2009
I'd go for the Transformers one if it, you know , actually turned into something.*