UK Retailer Breaks Pokemon X and Y Street Date

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
UK Retailer Breaks Pokemon X and Y Street Date

<tweet t="https://twitter.com/GAMECastlepoint/status/388586730158563328" align=right>Nintendo's worldwide release of Pokemon X and Y has had more than a few hiccups from retailers selling the game before the Oct. 12 release.

U.K. electronics retailer GAME has begun selling copies of Pokemon X and Y one day early to compete with other retailers who also broke the Oct. 12 street date. GAME texted customers to pick up their pre-orders today, and a GAME store in Bournemouth tweeted that they were "given the all clear to sell Pokemon X & Y today!"

A GAME representative told Polygon that the retailer was allowed to sell copies of the game early because "a competitor broke street date - so other retailers can now sell this title." GAME is one of the largest games retailers in the U.K., meaning getting an early copy of Pokemon X and Y in the country is easy.

GAME is far from the first to sell X and Y early; Nintendo has had trouble keeping stores to the agreement of the street date. Nintendo recently published a pamphlet addressing Brazilian retailers. The company warned [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/10/4823552/pokemon-x-and-y-early-sellers-will-be-penalized-says-nintendo] that it would withhold future shipments until after the release date for those titles have passed for any retailers who sell X and Y before Oct. 12. Nintendo has not released an official statement on GAME's actions.

Pokemon X and Y will release tomorrow, Oct. 12 for any retailers who have not already begun selling the game. For anyone wary of spoilers tonight, beware of the internet.

Source: Polygon [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-retail-flagrantly-disregards-pokemon-x-and-y-release-date/0122506]

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Ah I was one of the people that did get that text! I choose to ignore it though - I can wait one more day to play this game.

What was the competitor that broke the street date though?

Extasii

May 22, 2009
I really hope there are some repercussions for this. A street date is a street date. Respect the devs. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend and we don't see retailers charge extra for early copies :/

That said, can't wait to pick up my copy of Pokemon Y tomorrow.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
My face when I saw the store in question was right next to where I work...

Bournemouth represent! Not just full of old people!

Now if only I had a 3DS...

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
IIRC the word around my University is that HMV broke the street date first causing Game to follow suit.

This is of course simply hearsay as sadly, due to my lack of a 3ds, I've been trying to ignore the X/Y release while I wait for my birthday in November.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
JasonBurnout16 said:
Ah I was one of the people that did get that text! I choose to ignore it though - I can wait one more day to play this game.

What was the competitor that broke the street date though?
Friend of mine who works in GAME says it was HMV. And since they did it Nintendo reluctantly gave everyone else the all-clear to follow suit.

Anyway, you bet your ass, I got it today :D Went to Tesco's and it was cheaper than it would've been had I bought it in GAME tomorrow :D

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It is October 12th in Japan, Nindendo never clarified that the Global release was restricted to particular time zones.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
same in México City, since yesterday's noon I got an email and picked up my pre order... and if you checked online it was full of Japanese people already playing and clearly their games were advanced cause their characters cloths were fully customized something you can do slowly depending of stock avaible in each city.

Edited 1: Also I got as a pre order bonus this cool "Pokémon through the years" poster and some battle discs for a new tabletop Pokémon game

Edited 2: anyone has dowloaded Torchic already? I think is not possible yet and is going to be avaible today after midnight

Helen Jones

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, my local's been selling them today, while a friend who works in the store has apparently been playing his since they shipped into the store a few days ago.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah my mate (who still goes into GAME) got it today much to my annoyance especailly it turn out I didn't had to work today). I preorder it from Amazon and they will release it tomorrow. In saying so however the local GAME store over here has closed ages ago but there is a Tesco nearby or mybe that toystore had been selling it today?
I'm pretty sure this is to give some street cred back to GAME since this is the first time retail has an advantage over online shopping well in my view (sure I would had to paid the full retail price but I want to played that game asap!).

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
The fallout from this is going to be interesting at the least. If we didn't already have enough reason to hate GAME.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
search_rip said:
same in México City, since yesterday's noon I got an email and picked up my pre order... and if you checked online it was full of Japanese people already playing and clearly their games were advanced cause their characters cloths were fully customized something you can do slowly depending of stock avaible in each city.

Edited 1: Also I got as a pre order bonus this cool "Pokémon through the years" poster and some battle discs for a new tabletop Pokémon game

Edited 2: anyone has dowloaded Torchic already? I think is not possible yet and is going to be avaible today after midnight
Ye, I downloaded Torchich, even though it says from 12th of October.

OT: I went to Gamestop today just to check and yes, they were selling Pokemon X/Y as well, so I picked up a copy. I ain't complainin'. And surely so ain't others, the in-game passersby was showing a lot of Japanese, Korean and European people. :p

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Attack of the cultural assumption!

GAME very nearly went under. I live in a part of the country where my nearest one is almost an hours drive away.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
On one hand, that's cool that we can get X/Y early.

On the other hand... dammit, my 3DS is still being repaired at Nintendo. Won't get it back till Monday anyway. Just my luck.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wasn't GAME in a really bad financial situation? Why would they chose to do something as stupid as this?
That could mean the end of many of their stores.
You don't want to go to court against Nintendo.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Baldr said:
It is October 12th in Japan, Nindendo never clarified that the Global release was restricted to particular time zones.
Nintendo doesn't need to clarify that. When a game is released on a date it comes out on that date for the time zone. Example being I live on the East Coast of the U.S. I could purchase GTA 5 12:01am September 17th (EDT) which was 9:01pm September 16th(PDT). My friends in California had to wait 3 more hours to be able to purchase their copies.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
balfore said:
Baldr said:
Nintendo doesn't need to clarify that. When a game is released on a date it comes out on that date for the time zone. Example being I live on the East Coast of the U.S. I could purchase GTA 5 12:01am September 17th (EDT) which was 9:01pm September 16th(PDT). My friends in California had to wait 3 more hours to be able to purchase their copies.
GTA didn't have a "Global Release" as Nintendo has been advertising, that is where the confusion comes from. Plus Pokemon X and Y will be available to everyone in the United States on the eShop at 12:01am EST.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Got my copy early!

For anyone interested in what company is going to have legal action taken against them, it will be the supermarkets. Asda and Tesco broke release date, that's what a guy in my Game store said. If they were allowed to have a day ahead of everyone else, they would gain massive sales profits from day 1 gamers in an unfair advantage. If Game hadn't chosen to break as well, they could have lost a lot of money. So the Government would track down the prime culprit that caused the rest to follow suit to maintain equal competition.