UK Retailer Breaks Pokemon X and Y Street Date

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
JasonBurnout16 said:
Ah I was one of the people that did get that text! I choose to ignore it though - I can wait one more day to play this game.

What was the competitor that broke the street date though?
Friend of mine who works in GAME says it was HMV. And since they did it Nintendo reluctantly gave everyone else the all-clear to follow suit.

Anyway, you bet your ass, I got it today :D Went to Tesco's and it was cheaper than it would've been had I bought it in GAME tomorrow :D
Ah that's quite interesting seeing all the trouble they've just gone through - If I was them I wouldn't want to be upsetting people.

I would have gone to tesco but there isn't one local to me - and I've got it preordered at Game so will pop down when I'm next free! Hope you're enjoying it though >.>

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Similar thing happened last night for us in Adelaide, South Australia. A local store Shintokyo which sells anime and manga and associated merchandise as well as video games started selling their copies which were UK imports, so the EB store next door to them where some friends of mine had pre-ordered got the semi-official OK to start selling a day early too. My friends were still able to price match the price down too with one of the big sells everything stores.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
This is such crap. I wish these stores would be heavily penalized. So much so that they'd never dare to do it again. Some people have had their copy almost a week now and I still don't have mine. How is that fair?

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
So half of the stores in my area are now selling it a day early. What the hell?

Nintendo is going to be very angry about this.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Oh so this is why I have people calling me all day wanting to pick up their copy of X and Y. good old Game/Eb/Gamestop muscle ;p

Basically this happened in the U.S. with modern warfare 2, Areas with a lot of mom and pop shops sold it days early, customers would come into gamestops cancelling their preorders out right saying " I got the game already" Dm's and RD's and marketing get involved pissed of with activision till they get the go ahead and can break the date.

2 wrongs not making a right but really it sucks to lose a sale because someone isn't following direct orders.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Had it for a couple of days now, not expecting it so early but some online retailers dispatch earlier than others and I have a good postal service.

For those wondering, I fucking love it. And I've got 20 hours played already.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Mine came in the post early October 10th GMT morning, woo for ShopTo preorders and their "we dont post things on saturday" and "you will get the game on release" policies :D

I'm not sure if they were allowed to do that or not but a few of my friends got theirs at the same time.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Good for them I guess.

I really don't see why retailers should have to stick to some bullshit arbitrary date just because Nintendo said so. If they have the product they should be able to sell it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Heh yeah, I got my copy yesterday through the post and have already racked up a few hours, it may not be strictly by the book but thank you GAME! I also was sent two preorder gifts (pokeballs for storing games) rather than one by mistake so all-round this was a great release for me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
We had a Pokemon Launch party at our local Game, it was meant to be a midnight launch party, 8 till 12, but thanks to HMV, Tesco and other retailers, it only went till 11, and we got them game as soon as we went in.

Game Better not get the blame for this, i hope Nintendo see that and only punish the ones who were selling the game from Tuesday.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Ruley said:
For anyone interested in what company is going to have legal action taken against them, it will be the supermarkets. Asda and Tesco broke release date, that's what a guy in my Game store said.
I got semi-confirmation of this today when I nipped to Tesco to pick up a copy. Guy on the desk said it was weird that it was selling well today, but no-body came in to buy it yesterday. Don't blame Game in the slightest for breaking the street date when someone else already has.

On a more positive note, 4hrs in and its great!

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
My local GAME posted up a Facebook status telling people to come get it early.

Not sure why it's so hard to keep to the original date though.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
One of my friends picked it up early. I went down to Smyths and saved me and my little brother a few pounds by waiting.

I really wish stores would have kept in the spirit of things and had everyone, all over the world get their latest instalment on the same day.