UK Safe Sex Campaign Uses Mario, Mega Man

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Safe Sex Campaign Uses Mario, Mega Man

In an attempt to remind kids to wrap it before they tap it, Leicester has looked to videogames for inspiration for its latest ad campaign.

There are plenty of good reasons for a guy to wear a condom before gettin' freaky with a lady (or a dude) - your chances of getting an STI are significantly lowered, for one, and then there's that whole "pregnancy" thing that's probably best avoided until you plan for it.

Unfortunately, as every one of us who has ever been one knows, teenagers are stupid. Really, really, really stupid. In their infinitely poor teenage judgment, teens might opt to skip the "condom" step entirely, and that's when problems happen. In order to convince more teens to practice safe sex, the Leicester branch of the UK's Teenage Pregnancy Strategy has devised a new YouTube campaign inspired by that which the modern teenager loves: videogames.

"Game On!," seen here, tells the story of one young man - who looks suspiciously like a recolored 8-bit Mega Man sprite - eager to get it on with his girlfriend. Unfortunately, he needs to get a condom before she'll do the deed, so he must adventure through a Super Mario Bros-esque world, avoiding STI monsters and entering alcohol-induced "warp pipes" to acquire that which he needs most.

Also note that the start screen seems to be from Sonic 2, only with Sonic and Tails replaced by the guy and his girl. Ooh, unfortunate implications.

It's actually a really clever ad campaign, even if modern teens might be more familiar with Halo or Call of Duty than with classic Mega Man, even if Condom Man does beat Herpes Man. It's a good campaign for a good cause - frankly, I'm all for it.

On the other hand, it's also a campaign that revolves around trying to get teenagers to stop being dumb. Frankly, they might have better luck with I Wanna Be The Guy.

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-08-condom-campaign-parodies-mario-mega-man])

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I guess that is a good way...Though using a newer game would maybe yield better results.

Still not a bad way to go.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009

Okay, so you know how if you just let Mega Man stand there, he kinda stares blankly ahead and blinks a lot? That's what this video made me do, except I'm thinking "What the hell did I just watch?!" along with it.

Also, I know it was just one little beige pixel, but I find it silly that they would show his 8-bit junk (twice) and then cover it up with a censor bard. Kinda defeats the purpose of censoring it if we already saw it. :p

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Evilsanta said:
I guess that is a good way...Though using a newer game would maybe yield better results.

yeah, it's kind of funny that those who are old enough to remember those games as new are now 20+ years old, lol.

Dec 14, 2009
Why do I never feel the overpowered when I use a condom? Damn you video games! Affecting my world view again!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Evilsanta said:

I wouldn't imagine what a HalfLife 2 condom campaign would render...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
Evilsanta said:

Probably something to do with crabs.

With the word 'crowbar' awkwardly squeezed in somewhere.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I am the only one a bit annoyed that when the guy got the condom instead of falling straight into the pit, he landed inexplicably on random solid ground...

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Why does the black bar wait for his penis to be visible before it censors it 0.o ? More importantly, why Megaman?!?! I can never play the 8-bit classics now without worrying about getting the condom power-up for the post-game delight with Roll!

Otherwise, it's a nice commercial if you live in an 8-bit platformer.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Best ad ever, but being honest it's basically promoting "REMEMBER, WEAR A CONDOM! MAKE THE HUMAN RACE EXTINCT!"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tharwen said:
Orcus_35 said:
Evilsanta said:

...I. Hate. You. Now.

Apr 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Tharwen said:
Orcus_35 said:
Evilsanta said:

...I. Hate. You. Now.
Fight off headcrabs with your stiff, hard crowbar!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...This is the greatest thing I ever saw.

Maybe, it's trying to bring in the Scott pilgrim crowd?

"retro is EPIC Radical dude!"

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Evilsanta said:
how were they going to impliment a generic bland duck 'n' cover guy into getting a condom. I think doing it this way makes it easily recognisable as a video game and cheaper to produce and with the budget cuts* making a higher budget ad is gunna be difficult.

*: UK has taken a differnt approach to americans you aparntly are going to spend your way out of it** while we are making cut upon cut upon cut

**: my infomation comes from american comic Rich Hall who does most of his work here in the UK***

***: as far as im aware.****

****: another footnote just for the sake of it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Irridium said:
Well, I guess its better then this:

I couldn't watch any more after they had the guy ask "What's that?" on the picture of Toad's penis. I guess that guy never had to pee before... So horrible. >_<