UK Student Protests: Wheelchair-bound student dragged across the road by police officer, BBC defend

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Wow... Seriously watch that interview, that BBC reporter is a total douchebag. Was he throwing anything? HE CAN'T EVEN MOVE HIS WHEELCHAIR UNDER HIS OWN POWER, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO PICK UP AND CHUCK A ROCK?!

Even if the arrest was justified, the police clearly used excessive force.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Well, obviously there was a reason... but unless this guy is the leader of a cult or a secret society and has the cop's daughter captive or he had a bomb I think the officer should probably have controlled himself better. Honestly, I'm surprised people are defending the police in this situation where they are offering no evidence to suggest he had a good reason to attack a disabled person, a quadriplegic no less.

I also disliked the way the BBC Journalist acted, being unbiased is one thing, but ignoring what you see is another thing completely.

MajorKris

Aug 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MajorKris said:
I have heard the riots have been getting a little out of hand...

Hope all of our UK Escapists out there are all right. :]
See this is where you have to understand our media. I think that 14 people have been injured in the entire riot.

This isn't a LA riot, this is a "You ruffians!" riot. ;)

(It's still a bag of horse manure given how the Liberals have defected, but no-one has been severely injured yet)
^^; Ah I see, well I'm glad to hear not to many have been seriously injured, and thankfully no one has been killed.

My sympathy about your plight though, even if I can't relate to your troubles....Good luck to you. :]

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Delusibeta said:
And, honestly, there's insufficient evidence to say that this is one of them. There are two sides to every story, and this thread is only focused on one of them.
Yes, this thread and the video show a pretty limited side of the story. But honestly, given the fact that he had cerebral palsy, I highly, highly doubt he would have posed a threat. But then again, my definition of what is threatening or deserving of such action seems to be quite different from others' here.

Defective_Detective said:
Certainly you should discuss the law, debate the law and question the morality. Campaign to change the law, which you can do in a democratic society. Until then, you obey it. That's the rule.
What if that's not enough? What if it takes more drastic action to make change?

Perhaps this isn't one of those cases where the protests were needed, that's still debatable, and this whole protest situation is honestly something I need to learn more about, because I still don't know the overall nature of what happened, how much violence there was, what caused the violence, ect.

But look at people who truly made an impact in the past, people like Ghandi and Rosa Parks, they broke the law, but it was an effective, arguably essential way for them to get their point across. Sometimes you have to cause controversy to wake people up. Sometimes people want a voice that actually has the same impact that those in positions of authority above them have. Sometimes people are tired of being pushed around, and not being able to push back.

SCAFC Chimp said:
You're right, life isn't fair. Unfair is not getting the girl, or your computer breaking for no apparent reason. Being repeatedly fucked by your government because their generation cocked up hugely is beyond unfair. Our generation has been saddled with their bullshit, and we shouldn't have to take it.
MarsProbe said:
Indeed. Sounds like a painfully spineless attitude to me. Still, if somebody wants to go through their life without a backbone then leave them to it. Just as long as they don't try to foist their yellow-bellied stylngs on the rest of us.
I'm glad some people agree with me.

Of all of the opinions out there, the whole "suck it up and deal with it" regarding any complaint about something always gets to me. Of course we all have to deal with it, but that doesn't mean it can't be changed or fixed.

Yes, we will have to deal with these problems. But in the process of doing so, don't sacrifice your power to think independently, question everything, and try to improve your situation.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
I love how everyone is defending the place cause its britain :) tweer anywhere else everyone would be for the kid.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Undeadenemy said:
It also smells like a setup to me, all these people claiming that the cops are out there trying to bait people to riot doesn't make sense to me. Why would police try to get people to riot so that their lives can be in further danger?
This summer in Toronto the G20 protests started after the police set fire to two dummy police cars. That just fueled the riot mentality. Cops have baited people to riot a number of times.

ShezUK

Dec 14, 2010
Saw this video earlier, I can't comment on who was right or wrong but that reporter doing the interview was a disgrace to the BBC, to be frank. He was trying to feed words to his interviewee, poor show.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
This whole thread seems like a long Monty Python sketch between the people absurdly claiming that a palsied guy in a wheelchair was a danger to the peace and DESERVED to be dragged across the road and the people on the other side saying, "HE'S A CRIPPLE, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!"

I can just imagine Michael Palin on the former side and John Cleese on the latter, ranting side...

Palin: You don't know, he could've been inciting a riot!

Cleese: A riot?!? He's in a bleedin' wheelchair! He can't WALK!

Palin: So?...

and so on from there...

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
My thoughts,
Why was he in his chair in the middle of a road during a riot? That just puts him in danger and stops the road being used by Police cars/Ambulance/whatever
What was he doing to be called 'amazing' and 'A fucking hard nut' by guy in the crowd? Note that in the UK 'Hard' is used to describe people good at violence..
For someone that apparently can't use his wheelchair, he seems pretty happy standing and attacking a police officer. http://www.mitchell-images.com/#/jody-mcintyre/4546538655

Things we can be certain of: He was in the road, he had just done something to gain the awe of other students, he has been in trouble with the police before, during the same riots.

Also, everyone that says they could have just rolled him away, you are all aware that Wheelchairs have brakes right? So no rolling, and before you say they could have just lifted the chair with him in it, what's to stop the guy punching one of the cops carrying him?

Thanks to <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Defective_Detective>Defective_Detective for that link.

Aug 25, 2009
I suppose the real question behind all of this should be, why were the police using the highly controversial technique of 'kettling' to control the student protests, a technique which has been known to provoke violence, and why would the government have allowed such a dangerous technique to be used.

There are other ways to keep peaceful protests peaceful, and kettling is in fact pretty considered the number one way to make a peaceful protest stop being peaceful.

Were I being paranoid, I'd say that this was all set up. The government needs to pass its highly unpopular bill, so they make the students look like the bad guys. There are questions which need to be asked here, and which aren't being asked.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Delusibeta said:
And he's the link that Defective_Detective was referring to again: http://www.mitchell-images.com/#/jody-mcintyre/4546538655

Ultimately, there's insufficient evidence for either side. We got zero in the way of context.
I was looking for this and wanted to add it to this topic.
What does this tell us? We got person who might overacting, we migh have cops who were familiar with him from earlier today. But this just proves again that the "good people on nation" are not right, there something in here and it need to be exposed. I dearly hope that these pictures will show up in the investigation and that law is served equally to the both sides.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Prove it. It's a one minute video, you have no proof as to what happened that caused the cop to act this way. For all we know, the cripple deserved it. He is a cop, if you can't trust him not to abuse cripples, how can you trust him to uphold justice and the law? Interesting philisophical question right there. Why do we allways assume the cop is at fault when one of these show's up, and not the other way around? My bet is on projection. We identify more with the non-cop, therefore we project ourselves onto the non-cop and think "I wouldn't have done anything wrong so it must be the cop's fault" sub-consciously at least. That's my two cents, not that I have any reasonable credentials for that to be taken as fact, but it IS my opinion.
Then I ask you.
How in the bloody hell can a person who has severe palsy do any harm?
TELL ME!
Okay! Now if you make up with the arguement that he was inciting the crowd then it's a thing called the freedom of speech.
Because what they did here was wrong and if you try to justify the means of violence against the weak, then the police is doing the complete opposite thing.
To uphold justice and protect the weak.
It would be like having a slug against a rhino. Of course the rhino is going to win, no matter what.
But I feel nothing for the students out in Britain, what they are doing is that they're raising the fee's to the standards which foreign students are paying (then I mean not a English citizen).