UK Xbox Magazine Teases Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Details

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Xbox Magazine Teases Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Details

The magazine is holding on tight to its Mass Effect 3 secrets, but some say it contains nothing but rumors.

Rumors that Mass Effect 3 will feature some kind of multiplayer mode have been circulating for months, and while BioWare has denied them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106157-UPDATE-BioWare-Denies-Multiplayer-for-Mass-Effect-3] in the past, not everyone is listening. Now, UK magazine Xbox World is adding more fuel to the fire and claiming to have details on these fabled multiplayer features in its most recent issue.

CVG suggests that the magazine will contain the first real details on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but doesn't have any information on what those details might be. Instead, it reiterates some of the rumors about the game, which claim it will have a Gears of War-style "Horde" mode, as well as death matches - both, individual and team - and capture the flag style gameplay.

However, according to one commenter, reiterating rumors is all that the magazine does as well. Citing "various sources," the magazine supposedly says that Mass Effect 3 will have a series of three player co-op missions that run parallel to the main story, with each player will take on the role of one of the squad mates. The magazine apparently also covers its back in case the sources prove to be wrong, by saying that developers have been known to dump multiplayer modes if they don't work.

It's impossible to say whether or not CVG - which, like Xbox World, is owned by the Future Publishing - knows what's in the magazine, but I'd be quite surprised if it didn't. If the commenter is indeed correct, and the multiplayer "details" are just oversold rumors, then there will a lot of people angry - and justifiably so - at being duped.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/314493/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-details-in-xbw/?site=cvg]

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I think that we can let Mass Effect 3 pass without any multiplayer. Just like I let my breakfest pass without insects on my sandwich.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
People at the Bioware Social Network uncovered that like most of the ME3 multiplayer stories, it was just rumour mongering. The article basically said "Will Mass Effect 3 feature multiplayer!? We hope so!" So they pretty much just added "Mass Effect - Multiplayer" to the cover to increase sales. Surprise, surprise.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Whether ME3 has multiplayer or not matters little to me. They'll probably just put it in to "tick another box", and to add value to their "$10 included DLC" like last time.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
the fact that multiplayer has no purpose in Mass Effect and the fact that the company has denied the idea multiple times doesn't stop a magazine from trying to boost sales. Are they stupid for doing it? or are people going to be stupid for believing them?

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
What is it about the Mass Effect franchise that draws in so much fact-less speculation? First it was the "SeXbox" scandal, now we have a magazine saying it has multiplayer with what appears to be no proof backing up its claim other than internet myths. Shine on, you crazy reaper.

If it wasn't so early, I'd make some witty "because it's a big stupid jellyfish!" joke. *sigh* Only 7 more months to wait...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Adultratedhydra said:
the fact that multiplayer has no purpose in Mass Effect and the fact that the company has denied the idea multiple times doesn't stop a magazine from trying to boost sales. Are they stupid for doing it? or are people going to be stupid for believing them?
"How can we increase circulation without doing work?"
"... Lying?"
"Promote that man!"

OT: I can see a three man story of people fighting the reapers on earth parallel to the main story but CTF? Fuck off.

The.Bard said:
If it wasn't so early, I'd make some witty "because it's a big stupid jellyfish!" joke. *sigh* Only 7 more months to wait...
Jellyfish?

FPSMadPaul

Master Of The Smurfs
Sep 27, 2010
manythings said:
"How can we increase circulation without doing work?"
"... Lying?"
"Promote that man!"
Haha this brightened my day thank you.
OT: As long as it doesn't affect the quality of the single player I don't really care.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I really don't care either way if it has multiplayer, as long as it has a good single player. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a poll on FB asking the fans if they want multiplayer or not. Man I hate the marketing for this game...

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
I don't play Mass Effect for multiplayer.
There hasn't been multiplayer in Mass Effect so far.
In the mind of the general gaming community, Mass Effect does NOT equal multiplayer. Hell, the shooting mechanics aren't even that bloody good.
So why would anyone even think that they would try that? The co-op I can see working to a degree; if it revealed more about the story by playing these little side-missions with friends, I think it would be pretty cool. But CTF? Come on now.
Even if these publications aren't true, it still gives the message to developers to try and swindle multiplayer with every game they make. And that just isn't right. :(

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
If it does have a multiplayer, it will probably be like Bioshock 2 or Dead Space 2. The single player is where it will shine. The multiplayer will feel like it's more tacked on there for a couple more hours of gameplay more than anything else. Basically no one is going to buy it for the multiplayer.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Whatever sells more magazines I guess. They'd probably get more interest by speculating on how much humping Shepherd will do during the game.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
If there is multiplayer, I hope it's co-op. That would actually be quite fun. I don't see a deathmatch like thing being very fun in the first place.

For those who say mutliplayer has no place in an RPG, personally, I'd say Mass Effect was never much of an RPG in the first place.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Hasn't Bioware stated that though they would like to do some sort of MMO, ME3 will be single-player only?

I don't see any reason why they would lie about that.

So it's probably just rumours.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
manythings said:
The.Bard said:
Jellyfish?
Yes, jellyfish. They're big and stupid, you know:
Back on-topic, I'll believe it when I see it. As it stands now, it's just a bunch of disingenuous assertions. And we all know what happens to people that make disingenuous assertions:

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if ME3 had multiplayer tacked on to it. EA have proven time and time again they're just as greedy as Activision.

Your move BioWare. I only ask that you don't make ME3 the last title I ever buy from you. :/