UK Xbox Magazine Teases Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Details

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I could see multiplayer put to good use by letting friends jump in and control a companion character in the story mode. I'd buy two copies just to be able to jump into my wife's game as Garus or something.

I don't think the third person shooter aspects of the game are strong enough to compete with the Gears of War style games, though. It's like adding multiplayer to Bioshock 2. In both cases the point of the games is story and atmosphere, not combat mechanics.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, the co op missions sounds cool, but I'd be fine if they didn't have it. "Horde" mode sounds annoying, but playable. Capture the flag and death match...I won't lie. I read that and part of my mind instantly screamed in rage and terror. No. Just no. That stuff has no place in Mass Effect. None. Stay away.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I do really wonder why they would put MP in Mass Effect? It is a single-player game that could have a possibility of doing alright/good as a Co-op, But not! MP a la Call of Duty that would be waste of money and production time...

What I would find (probably) fun would be a huge end battle with ALL my sidekicks guns blazing and biotics flying against a massive bunch of Collectors... not just a conversation after my "buddies" gone another route and done some as-kicking (that I hadn't seen) whilst I ran around with just of 2 'em ... My thoughts anyway

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
There better not be a single god damn achievement linked to multiplayer or they can go fuck themselves.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Back on-topic, I'll believe it when I see it. As it stands now, it's just a bunch of disingenuous assertions. And we all know what happens to people that make disingenuous assertions:
To say nothing of this article's snide insinuations.

The.Bard said:
If it wasn't so early, I'd make some witty "because it's a big stupid jellyfish!" joke. *sigh* Only 7 more months to wait...
How about this:

"What? Why? Why are these 'journalists' lying just to increase sales?"

...and I think you know the answer.

Anyway, they'd better be lying. Multiplayer in my Mass Effect? Do not want!

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Aside from all the obvious "TDM sucks" and "MP has no place in Mass Effect"..

I don't see what coop would actually add to the game. I already found the game to be pretty easy even on Insane (I played as an Infiltrator), and having three shepards blowing up everything around them sounds like an absolute cakewalk. Boss-battles don't really seem to fit in Mass Effect either (there are some "mini-bosses".. I guess..).

I can't imagine why you'd need 3 players, unless it just means the enemies are now made of diamond and shoot Thorax blasts from their eyes.

Aside from the fact that coop wouldn't really make sense, and probably render a few skills useless like Adrenaline rush and the infiltrator zoom-slowmotion 'perk'.

Michizane

Apr 15, 2009
Co-op would not work in this game. Think about it. Would you really be capable of immersing yourself into a story based rpg while you're chatting away with your buddies. It would detract from the experience instead of add.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Bleh, keep your foul multiplayer out of my Mass Effect, thank you very much.

It's the singleplayer game and world that makes Mass Effect. That world wouldn't work as well with a bunch of random running around vying for the hero's role. After all, we can't all be Commander Shepard, or fly the Normandy for that matter.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
getoffmycloud said:
Has anyone ever read a copy of xbox 360 world?
Let me tell you it is the worst magazine i have ever seen in my entire life not to mention it has the world unofficial in the top right hand corner of every copy in big letters. They may as well just put this magazine is bullshit on the front and save everyone's time. So I wouldn't worry about Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer im fairly certain Bioware isn't that stupid
Not to mention the fact they often mark a game down in reviews for not containing multiplayer even if the game is made in such a way that multiplayer would be pointless(they rated the first Mass Effect and Oblivion down for such), im not surprised the morons who claim to be journalists for that mag made these claims but surely the fact they advertised it on the cover even though it was just a repeat of the eurogamer thoery is somehow false advertising?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Thedek said:
See, this is what Yahtzee preached against. Stop trying to put multiplayer where it does not belong.

Fuck I'm sick of over bearing overly social people. What's next, you inviting people over to watch you defecate? Some things should be done alone. Companionship can be wonderful, but you don't need it 24/7. Besides online MP isn't companionship most of the time, it's abuse.
Bio-Ware still has denied ME3 having multiplayer. If anything direct your anger at the Magazine company for using rumors and speculation to boost sales.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
please if anyone at bioware is listening please for the love of god no multiplayer in mass effect

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
no MP in ME 3 please. this game really doesnt need it. i guess this mag wants some attention to get some money. maybe their last sale dint go well. to hell with them for saying this.
not every game needs a damn MP.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Why would you do this terrible thing? I mean, I don't think it'll HURT the game to have Multiplayer included, but unless EA gave them a whole stack of employees that weren't there before for free, it's just taking away resources from the singleplayer for a mode that very few people want and nobody asked for.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Dr Snakeman said:
The.Bard said:
If it wasn't so early, I'd make some witty "because it's a big stupid jellyfish!" joke. *sigh* Only 7 more months to wait...
How about this:

"What? Why? Why are these 'journalists' lying just to increase sales?"

...and I think you know the answer.

Anyway, they'd better be lying. Multiplayer in my Mass Effect? Do not want!
That would indeed have been funny. In hindsight, a reporter-punching joke is indeed the best fit.

I'm totally cool with multiplayer in ME3, though, as long as it's AWESOME. e.g., the 2nd person is a slave to the first, and controls a squadmate in combat. Outside combat, they could control a robot that follows Shepard around... a robot that can do cool things, like augment Shepard's power.

Essentially, something like the old 8 Eyes game for NES, where both players do completely different things in coop. I know a lot of people (myself included) who play the game with multiple people, and something that the 2nd player could do to help while waiting his turn at the controller would be ok by me. But again, only if it's AWESOME.

NOT awesome multiplayer would be your cut and dry COD deathmath garbage. That's no fun at all and I shun it in all forms in my Massus Effecticus the Thirdius.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Ah yes 'multiplayer', a fruitless attempt to draw the coop fps crowd. We have dismissed that claim.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Breaking news: Xbox Magazine speculates and rumor mongers to increase sales. Gamers buy into it and begin foaming at the mouth. Story at 11:00.

Unless it comes directly from BioWare, I'm not going to believe it. And the way people keep flipping out about this is ridiculous.