Ultima Remake Rumors Continue to Swirl

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Ahhh .. the games of old (basically anything from Origin) used to have all sorts of goodies and real manuals in them as a matter of course instead of a black and white pdf file that you have to print out yourself.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Jaeger_CDN said:
Ahhh .. the games of old (basically anything from Origin) used to have all sorts of goodies and real manuals in them as a matter of course instead of a black and white pdf file that you have to print out yourself.
From Wing Commander 3.
http://download.wcnews.com/files/manuals/Wing%20Commander%20III%20-%20Warbirds.pdf
I miss having those in the box now... It's a bit disappointing to buy a game and receive the game only. (It sounds wrong/spoiled, but I guess it did make a bit of difference)

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Therumancer said:
I am wondering if perhaps EA is simply planning on selling him the franchise back, at least as far as the single player rights go.
You may want to block your ears, ladies and gentlemen.
...eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Ultima coming back! Ultima without EA! Ultima as done by LB himseeeeeelf!
It's possible that, as Ultima Online has been losing subscriptions over the years (as of 2008 it held less than a peeny 0.6% of all subscriptions - in comparison, EVE has 1.5 % subscription and WoW has a little over 62%), EA could be looking to offload the trademark they have on the Ultima series. As the only person who could use it was Richard Garriott (he owns the rights to Lord British and has access to the rights to several other dev-based characters like Shamino and Tseramed), he would be the first one they'd approach.

Of course, this is just speculation. I know nothing but the sheer awesome that would be Origin being able to come back together and recreate worlds.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
... so that's why Phi Psi was giving me a 404 last night. Pity ...
Wish I had downloaded it when I had the chance. Oh well. I love this game, I wish I could actually play it 9_9

Also, lolcaptcha

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Tom Phoenix said:
*starts having a seizure from the nostalgia rush*

I was going to take a photo of my old Ultima 3 box complete with the map, manuals and spellbooks but the resident goblins seem to have eaten it along with my Mechwarrior II CD. Time to go hunting for those damn goblins that keep hoarding things I want to find.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Littaly said:
Ultima remake? Sounds interesting enough, but what are they going to do with it? Isn't the original game ancient in design when compared to modern day RPGs? Is it even possible to do an even remotely faithful remake? It sounds like they're just planning to use the brand name to sell whatever it is they're cooking up.

Speaking of, is Ultima playable for someone who didn't grow up back in the days when it was hot sh*t? I'm kind of interested in playing it just for the sake of seeing what it's like, but I doubt I'll even be able to enjoy it for that...

You can run the Ultima series on Dosbox, a Dos emulator.