Ultimate Marvel NOW Launching This April

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Ultimate Marvel NOW Launching This April

The current Cataclysm mini-series will usher out the current Ultimate Marvel universe "at great sacrifice," according to Marvel's Brian Michael Bendis.

The Ultimate Marvel line will see it join the ranks of the Marvel NOW reboot line this coming spring, following the world-changing events of the Cataclysm mini-series. That series is due to wrap up soon, and follows the heroes of the Ultimate Marvel universe as they try to stop Galactus from turning the Earth into his latest snack. "They're able to win the day, but at great sacrifice, a sacrifice that is so huge that it changes the entire landscape," said Marvel writer and Ultimate line architect Brian Michael Bendis. "It creates a place that demands a fresh start from everyone who surveys it."

And for those wondering if the relaunch means Ultimate Marvel will shy away from its tradition of killing off characters and keeping them dead, editor-in-chief Axel Alonso reaffirmed that in this universe "dead is dead." "The long and short of it is this: The Ultimate (universe) benefits from a good, old kick in the butt," he continued.

In recent years, the Ultimate Marvel line is perhaps most famous for killing off Peter Parker and replacing him as Spider-Man with new character Miles Morales, an event which occurred in the pages of Bendis' own Ultimate Spider-Man. Morales is set to return for Marvel NOW in the pages of Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, once again written by Bendis with artwork by David Marquez. Morales will also play a role in the series All-New Ultimates, written by Michael Fiffe and drawn by Amilcar Pinna. A third announced book, Ultimate FF, will focus on the Future Foundation and super scientist types such as Sue Storm and Tony Stark. Writer Joshua Hale Fialkov teased that there will be at least one more member of the team "and that one happens to be a psychopath." Ultimate FF will be drawn by Mario Guevara.

This is actually the second such relaunch of the Ultimate Marvel line in recent years. The first came about in 2011, when the series was rebranded as Ultimate Comics, following Bendi's Death of Spider-Man storyline.

Source: <a href=http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268764/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=gPxzbSry>Associated Press

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Damn. Based on the title I was really hoping it was an announcement of a subscription service that would let you get digital Marvel comics as they release. I've been interested in comics forever, but right now reading digital comics requires me to pay either $4+ per issue or read 6+ months out of date, so I've not bothered so far.

Apr 17, 2009
Never really like the Ultimate universe, since it tries so hard to be gritty and 'real' that it veers right round to ridiculous again yet still insists on taking itself so damn seriously, but I will admit that I do like the 'dead is dead' rule. Means death actually has a weight to it even if its being used as a cheap publicity tactic

Also that psychopathic member of the FF is totally Reed Richards isn't it? I'm assuming he's still evil/alive after that whole "stretch my head into an egg to increase my brainpower, whoops now I'm trying to tear down the world and rebuild it in my own image" thing? (I did say the Ultimate universe got ridiculous)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Falterfire said:
Damn. Based on the title I was really hoping it was an announcement of a subscription service that would let you get digital Marvel comics as they release. I've been interested in comics forever, but right now reading digital comics requires me to pay either $4+ per issue or read 6+ months out of date, so I've not bothered so far.
They should not be charging full newstand price the digital comics. It's completely ridiculous. It's better at that price to make some trips to the damn comic store because at least then you have something to show for it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Why did I assume this would be some kind of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom update? It would be nice if Marvel wasn't pulling the game off shelves and online marketplace in a few months or so. An update on them reversing that would have been nice

Anyway any comic series that has the balls to finally end has my seal of approval. A fresh start is exactly what I need if i'm ever going to get into comics seriously.