Ultimate Racing Sim Setup Costs $200,000

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Mertruve said:
200,000 for a sim? Why not just buy a real farking car?
Let's see... oh, when you crash, you don't die. That's an advantage right there.
You could also take whatever you have left from buying your car and spend it on insurance and safety equipment. Makes you far less likely to crash and/or die, and you get the most realistic driving experience!

Aw, who the hell am I kidding. Forget cars, for that money you'd probably be able to buy a freakin' helicopter.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bet in Need for Speed it even realisticly simulates the police dragging you out of your car and beating you in to a coma.

Can be used for gaming yeah, my first thought would be training for the real thing, be good for being able to practice if there's bad weather or the car is in the shop. You could claim it on your taxes then.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
The Atlanta International Motor Speedway was selling a 'NASCAR experience' package, where for $160, you could take a race-ready NASCAR around the speedway 10 times.

Given the rate at which technology becomes outdated, and give the complete superfluousness of it, I'd skip the simulator, get that package, and... I dunno maybe BUY A HOUSE with the rest of the money.

The only way this could at all be justified, would be if you already had so much money that $200k is a trivial amount for you to waste... and in that case, why don't you give it to a charity or something.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Reminds me of that episode of Big Bang Theory when they set up a driving sim to train Sheldon for his license.

Honestly, I don't think this is an awful investment. $191,000 would buy you one of the finest racing machines available and then you'd still need to pay for track time, fuel, and maintenance. This thing doesn't require any upkeep or access. In fact, unlike a real race car, you could race this thing drunk/stoned in your underwear in the comfort of your own home at 3:30am on a Saturday night. Pretty bitchin!

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
To all you saying how it's more expensive than a car: what about all the gas your saving? Not to mention the thousands of dollars and months in traction after each crash (since, undoubtedly, most simulator players would crash a real car). I'd say when you factor in all that, it's a pretty good deal.

aequidens

Nov 9, 2009
It's new technology, it's not mass-produced, of course it's costly. It's also huge and unwieldy, so not many people would have place for one even if they could afford it.
It's still an awesome arcade machine though.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
For a fraction of that price, my Swedish friend did something like this when Gran Turismo 3 came out.

Driving from Vegas to Hermosa to try it out was totally worth the trip.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
WAIT, so people are actually buying a $200,000.00 racing car simulator, when the cost of an average NASCAR racing car is $125,000.00???

[small]-100 Faith in Humanity[/small]
Yep but this simulator is used by formula 1 teams, which pretty much means its the pinnacle of technology available today. It cost about 5million a few years ago, when it was first developed.

since you in the US, in case you didn't know F1 cars are like the Indy racers, only they can corner at shocking speeds, enough to put 5 G's on a drivers head/neck.
http://www.formula1.com/video/

CantFaketheFunk said:
And pretty sure buying an F1 car and a NASCAR stock car together would be a pretty penny.
You can get a Ferrari F1 car for about 2 million from F1Clienti, but only if you've bought lots of other Ferrari road cars, the Red Bull Wings for Life F1 car was sold at auction for about 250,000K which is the lowest price I've ever seen for an F1 car.

You could always develop your own F1 car, McLaren have a budget of 400mil, so best of luck with that!

:D

http://chrisescars.com/schumachers-f1-on-ebay/

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
ColdStorage said:
then why might I ask, are does their site have 1 page for entertainment and one for private use, they obviously expect to sell some to some to non pros

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
sethzard said:
ColdStorage said:
then why might I ask, are does their site have 1 page for entertainment and one for private use, they obviously expect to sell some to some to non pros
OK, I never said they never intended to not sell to non pro's, I merely said its the one the F1 teams use.

I think the entertainment one comes in red, the Williams F1 Simulator is a big grey ugly looking thing, but its made by that company.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
Had a go on one of those at Silverstone last year (Was at the Renault World Series there, on Michelin's stand). Pretty good, but a little too nauseating - the incident motion was too far from the head, so you got transient spherical movement, which causes inner-ear disorientation. Probably the simulation's fault rather than the actual hardware, though, as it was running a custom Michelin software package, which, I gather, isn't very good.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Baby Tea said:
That is pretty freaking awesome.
I'd love to hook Forza 3 up to that sweet setup!
Then I can truly feel what it's like to bomb around in my stock Toyota Yaris!

...What? I'm not that far in the game!
You're not bashing Yaris' are you? I happen to drive one ya know...

Well I was driving one untill I hit that deer...I'm still waiting for them to fix it. But that's a whole other story...

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
That is pretty freaking awesome.
I'd love to hook Forza 3 up to that sweet setup!
Then I can truly feel what it's like to bomb around in my stock Toyota Yaris!

...What? I'm not that far in the game!
That or Gran Turismo anyone?

lexxx10

Feb 10, 2010
Or if you do the math you can buy 86 Tata Nanos :)))
http://www.carsession.com/hot-car-news/tata-nano-priced-at-$2300-in-us-by-2011.html

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
I can't see anyone other than the super rich buying it for personal use but if you set that up in the middle of town and charged £/$10 for five mins on it you'd make back that 200,000 in no time.