Um, is this supposed to happen?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
-Jak- said:
My favorite kind of sites to visit (sarcastically speaking). Are those that say they have nice pictures of nature for instance, on facebook. There's 20 ads on the first page on all sides, plus a pop up one. And they don't allow for one page viewing since that's bad for traffic ratings and ad revenue.

Not to mention such sites are poorly put together and the backgrounds look terrible. Its a pretty crappy scheme to get money.
Oh, you mean Dorkly, Distractify and any of the other two million clickbait portals out there? I know what you mean. Every once in a great while, there's something that pops up that looks interesting. I stop by and then realize I'm stuck on a gallery that shows pictures on a page-by-page basis, if only so it gets to pelt the maximum amount of ads in my face.

I *love* these sites. "Love" here being code for "loathe with a brooding, glacial passion that is susceptible to extinguish the sun within my lifetime".

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
IceForce said:
Where have you been? They've been churning out 'Top 8' lists on a daily basis for a good couple of years now.

And I always avoid them. Not just because they don't interest me, but also because each item of the 8 is on a SEPARATE GODDAMN PAGE, forcing you to click through 8 pages just to see them all. Seriously, why do that?
Now that you're pubclub you can set all articles to display on a single page, including top 8 lists! =D

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
Now that you're pubclub you can set all articles to display on a single page, including top 8 lists! =D

As welcomed as this is, it doesn't change the fact that the site's mostly become a repository for listicles. Steven Bogos' Diablo-related articles just struck me as being misplaced, for instance. I wouldn't be surprised if Defy wanted to turn The Escapist into some sort of Buzzfeed Gaming outlet.

No paid editors, very few hired content producers, a crapton of user-submitted content - and GIFs. Lots and lots of GIFs, because only memelords pull in money nowadays.

JaKandDaxter

War does change
Jan 10, 2009
I hate what Buzzfeed has become. It used to post some pretty good content, and funny relatable videos. Now its just clickbait articles with false information and outright garbage. And they enforce the misconception that Manhattan is the only NYC borough. Which angers me as someone from NYC.

IamLEAM1983 said:
-Jak- said:
My favorite kind of sites to visit (sarcastically speaking). Are those that say they have nice pictures of nature for instance, on facebook. There's 20 ads on the first page on all sides, plus a pop up one. And they don't allow for one page viewing since that's bad for traffic ratings and ad revenue.

Not to mention such sites are poorly put together and the backgrounds look terrible. Its a pretty crappy scheme to get money.
Oh, you mean Dorkly, Distractify and any of the other two million clickbait portals out there? I know what you mean. Every once in a great while, there's something that pops up that looks interesting. I stop by and then realize I'm stuck on a gallery that shows pictures on a page-by-page basis, if only so it gets to pelt the maximum amount of ads in my face.

I *love* these sites. "Love" here being code for "loathe with a brooding, glacial passion that is susceptible to extinguish the sun within my lifetime".
lol 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Now that is just golden.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jesus Quintana said:
How would they even hope to compete in that marketplace? The only reputation they have is bad, and the only people left here would leave in a heartbeat if that change went down. It seems like it would be a lateral move, and a hard one to make when I suspect they have no money to work with, and now no tech to make a transition.
Yeah, I'll concede that Defy didn't do itself any favors with the way it's been handling ex-Viacom and Themis Media assets. Realistically, their only options involve either consolidation of what's currently available or flat-out shutting down the site and pulling out of the business altogether. However, with an EiC still being in place and the core activities being relocated in L.A., I'll assume they're gearing up for *something* along the lines of an internal shuffle or merger. Don't quote me on that, though.

My "Buzzfeed Gaming" comment mostly referred to the way they've been garnishing their content with easily-produced material. Listicles and galleries are basically easily churned-out opinion pieces that are tailor-made for maximum ad revenue, so I could see more of these items dominating the site's programming grid.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the notion of a content-specific schedule disappeared and The Escapist survived by just reporting on whatever it could sink its teeth into, whenever that would happen. No topics, no features - just gaming news and the occasional clickbait portal-esque offering. "The X Best Weapons Ever in All Them Vidyas, as Chosen By Me", with one page per item.

So it wouldn't be much of a transition, but more of a massive shrinkage and re-organization of their current structure. That can't possibly be too difficult to implement, right?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Jesus Quintana said:
Maybe that's what they're hoping for, but again, I can't imagine how they would have pulled it off before they tossed all of the people who could have reasonably made it work. I can imagine this working 2 years ago, now it's just bailing water out of a submarine.
Hence why I'm expecting Vanderwall to show up on Monday with an editorial piece that reads like a farewell letter. If the site goes Full Clickbait, it means there's at least *some* sort of hope left. If nothing changes, it means the same - and that the EiC could prospectively look for new columnists or content providers.

We're all stuck guessing until Defy actually shows its hand. We don't know what's in the cards as of now.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The Eupho Guy said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
DudeistBelieve said:
sky14kemea said:
Guys it's fine. Everything's fine. You're fine.

Yep. Fine.
Exactly. Everything is fine. There is nothing wrong. See?
Oh, everything's fine, is it?

But...you guys forgot the obvious clip.

HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?

Also...water mirror!