Um, is this supposed to happen?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm apparently a member of the Publisher's Club, now. The thing is, I didn't subscribe to anything or even made a payment of some kind. As much as I'm glad for the privileges I've apparently unjustly earned, I just want to make sure this isn't some kind of server burp or maintenance-related glitch.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Tech Team got canned, and it appears they fiddled with all the dials as they went out the door. I expect it's going to be weird for a few days, so just roll with it.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Tech Team got canned, and it appears they fiddled with all the dials as they went out the door. I expect it's going to be weird for a few days, so just roll with it.
Seriously?

Shamus gets canned, the techs are shown the door - is the management honestly trying to get the site closed? I don't mean to be brash, but it feels like it's bad decision after bad decision as of late.

Oh, and my icon's broken. Hooray!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Seriously?

Shamus gets canned, the techs are shown the door - is the management honestly trying to get the site closed? I don't mean to be brash, but it feels like it's bad decision after bad decision as of late.
Wait...where did you hear that Shamus was let go? I haven't heard anything about that.

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
IamLEAM1983 said:
Seriously?

Oh, and my icon's broken. Hooray!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wait...where did you hear that Shamus was let go? I haven't heard anything about that.
https://twitter.com/shamusyoung

Shamus' own Twitter feed, right past the pinned Tweet. It's the second one down.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Corey Schaff said:
It's weird that they let Shamus go. I thought he lived in Australia. Letting go everyone in the office they were closing makes sense since they can't exactly expect everyone to just up and move to Seattle, but that doesn't match with Shamus unless I'm wrong and he did live in NC.
It could be that they're moving away from a guaranteed 'weekly column' format, in favor of a more 'random featured article' format (hence why they've scrapped all their writers and are going with a more 'freelance' approach instead).

Or it could be that Shamus's column just simply didn't generate enough traffic. Could be that.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Corey Schaff said:
It's weird that they let Shamus go. I thought he lived in Australia. Letting go everyone in the office they were closing makes sense since they can't exactly expect everyone to just up and move to Seattle, but that doesn't match with Shamus unless I'm wrong and he did live in NC.
I have no idea where Australia came from, he'd probably be amused at that... or at least bemused.

Shamus works from home in Pennsylvania. Spent almost all his life there, aside from a few years in Boston. Anyhow, I'm guessing that we're gonna see a major overhaul of the site in the near future. Not sure what it'll turn into, but most everybody that was receiving a steady paycheck of one sort or another has been let go.

If you want more Shamus, you can follow him on his blog. He's got a lot of good stuff on there, including a long series of articles on the game he co-developed and that's being released next week. Man, he was probably relying on the Escapist helping him get word out on it :(

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Well this is a darn shame. I'm really losing my reason for coming here. As it stands the only creative pieces that keep me coming here are Critical Miss, EDA and ZP. I miss the Escapist that had all original video content from years ago :( not sure what other sites offer something akin to that. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Odd, my profile picture appears to not be working now.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Sweet, I'm also a member of the publisher's club ... now I just need to figure out what that actually means.

The Enquirer said:
EDIT: Odd, my profile picture appears to not be working now.
Likewise, and I've noticed many other people whose names I recognize have lost their familiar avatar as well. I'll try clearing my cache, I suppose, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try uploading another avatar.

Edit: New avatar it is then.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
IceForce said:
Corey Schaff said:
It could be that they're moving away from a guaranteed 'weekly column' format, in favor of a more 'random featured article' format (hence why they've scrapped all their writers and are going with a more 'freelance' approach instead).

Or it could be that Shamus's column just simply didn't generate enough traffic. Could be that.
I've been wondering why the escapist has been churning out more and more clickbait bullshit articles lately...

"The 8 best anime openings" a slideshow.
WTF? What the hell is happening? The whole deal here was to maintain some semblance of quality.