Unboxing the New D&D Red Box

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The damn cover with the dragon about to get his shit ruined by glowey sword guy makes me shed a tear for my wasted youth. I must have played through the tutorial and the included solo adventure at least 500 times when it first came out.

Thunderdelve Mountain was the greatest solo adventure ever devised.

Sadly I had no friends to play dnd with until high school.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Y'know, I'm a hardcore 3.X/Pathfinder Grognard, but even I have to give props where they are due. This... is pretty damn cool. I might need to look into picking it up and finally giving the damn thing a shot.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Folio said:
There is a starter set? I want to play some D&D! The only thing I want to know is: Are you allowed to create your own stories and rules as a DM?
Yes...the DM is God of the world. However I would strongly suggest running some pre-generated modules first to get a feel for the whole thing. Worldbuilding is really fun but also a metric assload of work. However when it works the payoff is huge.

As an example, for my most successful campaign I worked for about 1 month of 20+ hour weeks on the world and another month of 20+ hour weeks on the first dungeon. We got nearly a year of play out of that campaign and it was a great time.

To do it right expect to spend 2 hours outside of the game for every hour of gameplay. So for a typical game group meeting once a week for 4 hours, you should be spending at least 8 hours in prep work.

Not to scare you off because DMing is a ton of fun, it is just also a lot of work to do right.

Good luck in your adventures!

Kanazuchi

Aug 20, 2008
Aww, you mean the dice that come with the set don't have to be colored in with a crayon, then the excess wax wiped off with a tissue?

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I wish I was an intern for this I want to play some D&D but not really eat Funions they are good but they gross me out a bit.

smileyboybob

Nov 14, 2007
How much does this thing cost? Ive always wanted to play it but ever since ive started watching "i hit it with my axe" i am seriously considereing it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

As a wargamer I have to take issue with a DnDer's use of the word "grognard".

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Squeeeeeee....I actually have the ORIGINAL('83) of that somewhere. Play Keep on the Borderlands.

But where the hell is the Irn Bru/Vimto(UK)/Mountain Dew(US)?
Me too matey, Ah a new generation will be able to understand why I scream THACO at them. Bloody kids!

Feb 13, 2008
electric discordian said:
Squeeeeeee....I actually have the ORIGINAL('83) of that somewhere. Play Keep on the Borderlands.

Me too matey, Ah a new generation will be able to understand why I scream THACO at them. Bloody kids!
What's your character class?
I'm a Dwarf.
No, not your race, your class?
I'm a Dwarf. I Dwarf.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008

I'm a Dwarf.
I'm a Dwarf. I Dwarf.
Man I feel your pain! I have the rule cyclopedia as well the one which has every original DnD item, in its first printing. It at 1990 is still older than some of my gaming group!

As it turns out it isn't the original and best but this 4e thingie which is just Wow the roleplaying game repackaged!

Using the new system you can make any Wow character class identically! With no change whatsoever!

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I still have my original D&D red box from when I first got into gaming in the late 70s. Oh, those were the days...

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008

some people think it's a tasty mexican treat, others know how squishy it is(or you are). +1 longsword for the win!

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008

I'm a Dwarf.
I'm a Dwarf. I Dwarf.
Man I feel your pain! I have the rule cyclopedia as well the one which has every original DnD item, in its first printing. It at 1990 is still older than some of my gaming group!

As it turns out it isn't the original and best but this 4e thingie which is just Wow the roleplaying game repackaged!

Using the new system you can make any Wow character class identically! With no change whatsoever!
Ok the edition wars are over man. 4e Wow. Love it or hate it, they made the game more accessible (and dare i say enjoyable).

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
tenny20ca said:

I'm a Dwarf.
I'm a Dwarf. I Dwarf.

Ok the edition wars are over man. 4e Wow. Love it or hate it, they made the game more accessible (and dare i say enjoyable).
I have played 4th ed alot, enjoyed it mostly. But having them release pre ADandD Dungeons and Dragons would be a retro stroke of genius! I am not anti 4th ed at all just prefer this from my youth!

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Either that, or they will be dead from Funyon poisoning.
Where's the run down on what all is on the box? And how did the game go? THERE MUST BE A PODCAST MR. TITO. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO A PODCAST.

P.S. In case you read this Sir Tito, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate what you do here on the Escapist, especially Check for Traps. As a new DM I can't tell you how much help your (and Mr. Macris, if you see him in the office give him a high five for me) articles have been, and the comments afterwards with the discussion and debate of the finer points with other people have been spectacular. I would tell anyone aspiring to DM (and I have already on a few occasions) that your series and its comments are needed readings. My players and I thank you both.

P.P.S. There's only three legit reasons to not like 4th Edition:

1. You spent all that damn time learning what THAC0 meant, and now you're not going to waste that time by learning a new system.

2. You enjoy playing a class that isn't a mage or cleric, and for 20+ levels saying "I hit it with my [insert weapon of choice here]/+1/+2/+3/+4/+5" every single damn round of combat.

3. You can't convert old edition stuff into new edition stuff (this one makes me Q.Q)

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Oooh. All parcels should come with snacks. Maybe the next Fallout will come with a tin of out of date beans and a bottle of flat cola.
...What about that Pipboy 3000 I was promised?

OT: Wait, why is it packed with snacks in the first place?

Oh wait, I forgot this. This is why.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
What is this fourth ed your all talking about, me and my DnD group are going all the way over there with our dnd 3.5 and verious suppliments.

OT: looks good, would only want it for models/ counters/ bored though.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
For those of you out there wondering what 4th edition is like, try this:

Go play WoW. Ideally, do it with a blindfold on & your speakers turned off, and have a friend describe all the action on the screen. All you have to do is have auto-attack enabled and occasionally hit a number key.

Voila! You have just played D&D 4th edition.

Now get the hell off my 2nd ed. AD&D lawn!