Uncharted 1 and 3: To buy or not to buy?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So I finished Uncharted 2 yesterday so I could finally start The Last of Us (loving that so far). I find the story bits interesting and I like the totally-not-trying-to-be-Indiana-Jones characters. I quite liked the puzzles especially because they're so easy yet do require your input to an extent. I also liked the climbing bits a lot even if it can't decide whether it's obvious that you can climb that bit of wall or not.

On the other hand, I fucking hate the combat. The missions just kept going on and on and the game just refused to end because I feel like I'm playing a Gears of War knock off with a ridiculous difficulty curve and boring enemies. It made me dislike Uncharted 2 on the whole. The message I got from it was that Tomb Raider 2013 took the good aspects of Uncharted and vastly improved on it. Even the climbing is more obvious because chalk is on the climbable stuff.

I do consider playing Uncharted 1 and 3. I can get both for a sum total of £11 (weirdly enough, Uncharted 1 costs more than 3). My question is what is the combat like in those games? It is just more of the same of Uncharted 2, and does the plot basically do the same thing as 2 but in a different setting? Or am I best just trying to replay Uncharted 2 and not hating the shooting?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, shooting is the same in all 3. For story purposes, 1 mostlky shows you the nuances to the relationship of Nate and Elena. (It gives the story of 2 more grip.) Then in 3, they flesh out Nate and Sully's relationship. There is some stuff regarding Nate and Elena in 3 and some stuff involving Nate and Sully in the first. However, I would say 1 is about Elena, 2 is about Nate, and 3 is about Sully.

Combat does stay the same though. I tend to like the combat myself, but then again I don't care for shooters so... yeah.

EDIT: As for plot - yeah, all 3 are about mythical places of legend that turn out to really exist then you and Nate go fight the supernatural monsters there.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Since you didn't like Uncharted 2 (leaps and bounds better than the other 2), DO NOT play Uncharted 1 or 3. Uncharted 1 is such a bad game; the game just sends waves of enemies at you to artificially extend the game. The shooting is way worse in Uncharted 1 as all the guns are the same since enemies are such bullet sponges. You need headshots so using an assault rifle vs a pistol is no different. Oh, and you can't use grenades because you need to use the stupid sixaxis controls to throw them. The only good parts are when the "creatures" show up because they aren't bullet sponges and some of the levels are actually kinda creepy and well done. The game has pretty much no set-pieces, you have these lame as all hell jet ski sequences instead.

Uncharted 3's story sucks. The whole Drake and Sully character arc goes literally nowhere as Drake doesn't learn his lesson at all and everything ends at being status quo. Sully in Uncharted 2 invalidates Uncharted 3's Sully even. All those boat set-pieces in Uncharted 3 are completely nonsensical, Yahtzee is 100% right about that. The pirate's plan to get the location of the treasure from Drake is so fucking stupid that under no circumstances would his plan actually work. The villain actually has potential but is completely wasted by Naughty Dog. Drake and company really have literally no reason to continue on their quest (much more so than the previous games) yet they keep going only to potentially allow the villain to succeed. Naughty Dog even reuses the same set-pieces from Uncharted 2 yet does them worse (the whole car chase scene is reused but this time you're on horseback with horses being faster than cars).

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I'd say it depends on whether your hatred for the combat outweighs your enjoyment of the story/puzzles, since - as others have said - all three games are pretty similar on all of those elements.

Personally I thought they were all reasonably entertaining but I'm never going to play any of them a second time (and I didn't pay for any of them - one came free with the system, and I borrowed the other two).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
As you weren't a fan of Uncharted 2 I wouldn't recommend you buy 1 and 3. The combat in 1 is worse because it's a little more jerky and less fluid than in 2. The biggest thing is, in 1 grenades can't be instantly thrown, you have to hold a button down and adjust the arc, which ruins the fun of desperately running away and flinging a grenade through a window in 2.

For 3 the combat is worse than 2. It's less of a control thing, and more about the amount of DPS and the way the encounters are designed. The AI flips out a lot more and too many encounter end up being about remembering which enemies will spawn where and when than moving about on the battlefield. There are points in 3 where you'll die a lot and unlike in 2 there's really only one solution to it.

If you're reading this thread and liked Uncharted 2 there's a lot to look out for in 1 and 3 (although the story is worse in both). In particular, 1, despite the rough combat, has some amazing locations and a hokey but fun story with some nice Elena relationships. It feels like a slightly less polished Uncharted 2.

3 is a structural mess. It tries some neat things with Drakes history, giving him a less everyman personality as they dive into his childhood and it has setpieces which are really fun when taken individually, particularly the manor and the ship. However in 3 it's really obvious that they designed the set pieces and fit everything around it. Events don't connect, character development doesn't feel continuous. It's still fun and it has more polish than 1, but all in all the structure stops it being the great games that 1 and 2 were and leaves it as merely a very fun game.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Uncharted 1 is one of the blandest games I've ever played in every aspect, I would not recommend it at all.

Graphics were nice though, not that they count for much.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I got 1 and 2 as part of a package and borrowed 3 from a friend, so played them in order and more or less one after the other.

1 left me unimpressed and I finished it thinking why everyone was raving about the series. The combat is annoying(which thankfully was fixed in Uncharted 2) and the plot seems like it should be interesting but isn't. Not to mention the vehicle sections in 1 are shit(and unlike most people, I like vehicle sections). Also, and I might be the only one who thinks this, but Drake annoyed the crap out of me in Uncharted and I'm not sure why. I felt he was much less irritating in the later games.

2 fixed a lot of ones flaws and was far more interesting, both gameplay and story wise.

3 has good gameplay, for the most part, but the story and structure are off, to say the least. There's an entire section with pirates that isn't alluded to before it happens and is never mentioned again after it's done. It felt like it was inserted to extend playtime and because someone really wanted to have mission on the ocean but couldn't think of a way to work it into the script organically, so they just inserted it between levels. Which is too bad because some of the levels are fun. So basically it suffers from a lot of the same problems as Modern Warfare 3 does.

Also, there are bits where you're on a sinking ship, a burning building or a collapsing ruin and the enemies would rather stand there and shoot at you rather then escape and save their own lives. Drake even yells at them "Hey, you do realize we're in a burning building, right?" but they keep trying to kill you.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 3 and given the choice, would pick 3 over 1 any day. I'm pretty sure I will never replay Uncharted again. 3 I probably will replay someday.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The impression I'm getting is forget Uncharted 1 and that Uncharted 2 is the best in series. Ugh. Thanks for the responses, I think I'll have to put more thought into choosing whether to get Uncharted 3 or not (which, incidentally, is £2 cheaper than Uncharted 1 in my local shops for some reason). I don't think Uncharted 2 was that pretty visually anyway (for the most part), so I doubt Uncharted 1 could tempt me in the visual department anyway.

Dalisclock said:
Which is too bad because some of the levels are fun. So basically it suffers from a lot of the same problems as Modern Warfare 3 does.
This summarises my opinion on Modern Warfare 3's singleplayer so well. Some levels fun, makes the bad seem even more disappointing.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Evonisia said:
The impression I'm getting is forget Uncharted 1 and that Uncharted 2 is the best in series
I'd agree with that sentiment, but I think it's worth pointing out that 2 is the best in the series purely from a story/pacing perspective (which is admittedly a big part of a game like that.) In 3 they tried to go bigger than 2 and as a result it gets pretty fucking over the top, to the point where it's almost comedic at points (whether that's a good thing or not is up to you)

If your problems with uncharted 2 were gameplay related, it plays extremely similar. I'd say it's a bit more refined and a bit easier though. I seem to recall there being less shooting and more set pieces on 3 as well.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Evonisia said:
The impression I'm getting is forget Uncharted 1 and that Uncharted 2 is the best in series. Ugh. Thanks for the responses, I think I'll have to put more thought into choosing whether to get Uncharted 3 or not (which, incidentally, is £2 cheaper than Uncharted 1 in my local shops for some reason). I don't think Uncharted 2 was that pretty visually anyway (for the most part), so I doubt Uncharted 1 could tempt me in the visual department anyway.
Uncharted 1 is, in fact, easily the worst Uncharted. It got better in Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 3 wasn't so great. If you didn't like 2, don't bother with 3. Also 3 has some really dull visuals since you spend alot of time in the Middle East. So. Much. Fucking. Sand.

The major issue with the combat seems to be that the developers didn't really design everything to work well together. Say what you like about Gears of War, those games know what they want to be and are designed accordingly. In Gears, you have huge ammo reserves to compensate for the fact you won't be moving, levels are designed so that your cover is worth a damn, and your melee is an instant kill but kind of slow, so you can use it and retreat. Uncharted always struggled a little with that, making very pretty levels that had less functional cover, making combat a little trial-and-error with enemies sometimes spawning in behind Drake or just blowing his ass up without warning, and giving you small amounts of ammo. The first game was the worst, but these all carry over into the 2nd and 3rd games.

As for story, the developers admitted they come up with the set pieces and then write a plot around that. Not a bad approach, mind, but it does mean all 3 stories are samey. 3 hints at some promises of character development for Drake but kind of forgets about it and fails to deliver, like a mailman with Alzheimer's.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
their all kind of the same to me

I managed to play them all so I guess theres something worth palying in them

but overall I honestly think their overated, the story/charachters really aren't that great and Nathan Drake is the most annoying protagonist ever....probably moreso in retrospect that at the time...I know we all talk about wanting better protagonists with personalitys but for somereason drake is just.. so one note...and so is Sully, athough sully is marginally better
Fsyco said:
As for story, the developers admitted they come up with the set pieces and then write a plot around that. Not a bad approach, mind, but it does mean all 3 stories are samey. 3 hints at some promises of character development for Drake but kind of forgets about it and fails to deliver, like a mailman with Alzheimer's.
ugghhhh "DWAKEY SAD NOW!" is about as good as the drama can get

its a shame because uncharted 3 actually had a really cool unique villan...she just didn't have anything interesting to do or day

I honestly wish the games were about Elana being a reporter in dangerous 3rd world countries with....debateable atittudes towards women....that and her and chloe get together

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
I'm in the minority that liked Uncharted 3 over 2. Don't ask me why because I don't know. However no game has been replayed by me more than 3. It jut seemed like an improvement over 2. It also has my favorite sequence in any video game ever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
One of the problems with these games is that they keep bringing fucking Elena back, when she's boring as all hell. Every new character gets pushed to the sidelines just for the sake of Drake and Elena's stupid on again/off again relationship. They should've ditched her after the first game and focussed on Chloe in the sequel, but no there's Elena again, coincidentally in the same place as Drake.

And by the third game they jump the shark completely by establishing some father/son relationship between Drake and Sully, which is stupid for two reasons:

1) If they go way back and Sully practically raised Drake, why does the first game have the little subplot where it seems Sully turned coat? Why would that be there if their relationship wasn't already a bit shaky, with both of them being thiefs and all?

2) The fact that they become partners when Drake was still a kid means Sully nurtured this boy into becoming a fucking killer. Sully was the adult, and instead of turning over a new leaf because he now has the responsibility over a child, he just allows this kid to go from purse snatcher to mass murderer. And then the game tries to play this off as touching!?

I know you tried to be The Last Crusade, but you're doing it wrong.

I never had too much of an issue with the gameplay, but after The Last of Us perfected that Jack-of-all-trades third-person action, it seems dreadfully mediocre now.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I am personally of the opinion that the Uncharted games are some of the most overated trite of this entire console generation, and it's funny that you say that the combat was your least favorite part of Uncharted 2, it was the only thing about that game I thought was actually noteworthy other then the graphics and setting (the Himalayas are a fantastic setting for a game and they're criminally underused).
The story is just Indiana Jones light, The platforming's jankey as hell, the "puzzles" consist of looking for the answer in your journal, and Nathan Drake is such an irritable fuck that I just don't like playing as him.
Personally I don't recommend them seeing as the combat is pretty much more of the same throughout the series, but I know allot of people who think they're just the greatest things ever, and I'd say they're worth about 18 bucks (the dollar equivalent of 11 pounds) together, so maybe give 'em a shot if you really feel invested, your mileage may very.

timeformime

Jul 27, 2012
When I play Uncharted 2 or 3 I crank the combat down to beginner, which lets me pretend it's just a one-two punch for every bad guy like in your typical action movie, which is how it's supposed to be. You face off with the big bads, and the schmucks with handguns are nothing. Play it this way and you may enjoy it more for its story, thought it still isn't quite as good as 2. I think the Himalayas are just cooler than Uncharted 3's big flat desert.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
At this point Uncharted 1 is fairly old game, it doesn't compare as favorably as the others. At the time though it was an outstanding game.
The series was very much dude-raider at the time, which is ironic as nowadays Tomb Raider feels like uncharted as things have circled back again.

If you didn't like 2, it's doubtful the others would appeal

My favourite so far has been Golden Abyss on the Vita. It's similar stuff again, but that becomes more impressive on a hand held.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Willstown said:
At this point Uncharted 1 is fairly old game, it doesn't compare as favorably as the others. At the time though it was an outstanding game.
The series was very much dude-raider at the time, which is ironic as nowadays Tomb Raider feels like uncharted as things have circled back again.
I'm hoping it's going to circle around at least once more =D I'll be disappointed if Uncharted 4 doesn't implement a lot of the ideas from Tomb Raider (2013). I'm a little worried the timing might be a bit too tight, if U4 is 2015 that only gives them 2 years, which might not be enough to implement any Metroidvania 2.0 systems but I'm hopeful. The biggest thing is I'd like that Tomb Raider 'multiple slightly different routes in one area' thing to show up in Uncharted.

Madame_Lawliet said:
The story is just Indiana Jones light,
Which is funny because Uncharted killed Lucas Arts' Indiana Jones game. It was a troubled production and they were still plowing through it when Uncharted came out and they realised that Uncharted had already figured out how to do all the things they wanted to do and better. They lost the only thing the project had going for it and so it got canned. And Uncharted managed to make Tomb Raider look pretty antiquated for a while, so the franchise has a history of beating up it's spiritual inspirations :p

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Willstown said:
No, the first Uncharted doesn't get those breaks. I bought Uncharted on fucking released day, it sucked then and it sucks now. The shooting, level design, and enemy AI were horrible across the board; it was basically a tech demo. The demo of Uncharted 2 had to win me over to play it because of the bad taste left in my mouth from Uncharted 1.