Uncharted 2 Wins Writer's Guild Award

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Uncharted 2 Wins Writer's Guild Award

The treasure-hunting action adventure from Naughty Dog, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B001JKTC9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970263&sr=1-1], was honored by the Writer's Guild of America.

Last month, we told you that the X-Men Origins: Wolverine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97489-Writers-Guild-Announces-Best-Game-Writing-Nominations]. At the ceremony held on Saturday February 20th, the award was given to Amy Hennig for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

This marks the third time that the Writer's Guild have given an award for videogame writing. The first two winners were Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008) and Dead Head Fred (2007). Because the rules demand that the nominated writer be a member of the Writer's Guild, the spectrum of games considered at first was small. Now that the award has gotten some traction and more videogame writers are joining the creative union, we may see the nominees truly be indicative of a game's excellence in writing.

There was no way Wolverine was going to win, but maybe next year we'll see games like Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1] on the list of nominees instead of movie license tie-ins.

Source: WGA [http://www.wga.org/awards/awardssub.aspx?id=1517]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If it isnt a bioware game that dosnt win next year I will be shocked!

Apr 28, 2008
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Wet, X-Men Origins: Wolverine... as good writing?
Were they just trying to troll us at first or something?

I kid, I kid... sort of.

Still, its not that suprising. If Uncharted 2 didn't win Assassin's Creed 2 would be my guess at the winner.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Eh. I think there are a few games that deserve that award more than Uncharted 2. Sure it was good, but the story and writing just felt like an Indiana Jones movie set in the modern era. Nothing new or innivtive or susspensful, just cliches. Humurously written cliches mind you, but it really dosnt deserve an award for writing.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Not suprised really, the writing was dang good in Uncharted 2. Assassins Creed 2 would take the silver medal I think.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
Naughty Dog out did themselves on this game, I had a blast with it, and for anyone who hasn't tried it, it's worth at least renting.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
Why! Why hasn't AC2 won any awards! Uncharted always gobbles them up from Ubisoft....

(I'm an Assassin Creed Fanboy... forgive me....)
forgiven...and I'm with you.

Oh and congratultions

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Writing, as in story? What? I don't get it. These are the nominations? Don't get me wrong, they're good games. But seriously?

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
.....Is there some kind of bizarre rule disqualifying canadians?(Bioware, in this case) or just plain awesome people(valve)?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The field of competition effectively renders any prestige attributed to this award nonexistent. Seriously, that list of nominees reads like a bizarro universe version of what a "good writing" list should look like.

Does anyone even know if Mass Effect 2 is eligible? Remember this is a writers guild award, if you aren't in the guild, you don't get to compete (even though you would obviously win, I mean come on, The Force Unleashed?).

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Uncharted 2 should ave won not only because it's great but most of the other nominees are poor.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I believe you can only be eligible for this award if you're a member of the Writers' Guild, so that's why some obvious candidates are missing.