Uncharted 2 Wins Writer's Guild Award

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Irridium said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Wet, X-Men Origins: Wolverine... as good writing?
Were they just trying to troll us at first or something?

Anyway, I kid, I kid... sort of.
that's exactly what I thought at first.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
None of these games had remotely good writing. Assasin's Creed II and Uncharted II were the best but when you have a turd, a pile of vomit, and a puddle of piss as your competitors I guess you're a gonna win by default. For this to even be considered as a legitimate award is embarrassing.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
How the hell did Uncharted beat Assassin's Creed 2?

Uncharted is basically just every adventure movie rolled up into a somewhat decent game.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Writer's Guild award for Best Videogame Writing in 2009 were Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Bethesda's Wet and Activision's X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Seriously? Uncharted 2 was up against a confuddled WWIII theory, some drunk girl who slaughters everyone for whatever reason, and a game with practically nothing to stand on with the shitty movie tie in?

Assassin's Creed 2 I think did have a pretty cool story, and congradulamatations to Uncharted 2 for winning, but come on, it wasn't exactly the creame of the crop.

Then again, there were definitely worse last year, though for the life of me I can't recall.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Numb1lp said:
phoenix352 said:
uncharted won another award? how surprising /sarcasm
What's wrong with Uncharted? It was a very good, well thought out game.
there's nothing wrong with it... neither did i say there was.
iam just annoyed is all every 5 minutes an article or some thing says uncharted 2 wins an award if you count them all it has like 50 something awards in every category in almost every awards event since it came out and it never stops every day it wins a new award O.O i mean common enough is enough.

Kandon Arc

Mar 10, 2009
Is this surprising? They give the award to the game which has a story straight from Hollywood. That said, the field was so sparse that giving the award to anyone else would have been even worse.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I don't mean to discredit the winner, but these awards are kind of meaningless. If you're not in the guild you're not eligible to win, and a lot of the writers in the game industry aren't actually members of the Writer's Guild. It doesn't really celebrate or reward good writing in the medium as much as it does members of their own group who have written for games.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Uncharted deserves to win because it's one of the few stories that could actually survive outside of a video game. Final Fantasy? Doesn't/didn't/won't work as a movie. Half Life? At best it'd be somewhere between the Doom movie and whichever Resident Evil movie you dislike the least. Most video game stories just suck in any other medium. So congrats to Uncharted for having as story that people actually like and respect. Now excuse Desmond Miles while he goes into the Anusmust to become an ancient assassin in a rollicking, time-travel adventure.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Next year's winner :Heavy Rain. Sorry Bioware fans but we have seen the "Good/Neutral/Evil" Stories from Bioware for a while now. I mean Heavy Rain's story seems more involving than just "pick one of 3 text options with obvious result" followed by "go kill things".

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
I only played the Wolverine game and Assassins Creed 2 but I would say the Wolverine game actually had a superior story. Neither were good story wise, mind you... (Note I never actually seen the movie that the Wolverine game was tied into) The best game story and writing wise last year was Dragon Age but I think Bioware may not be able to be in that guild because of being Canadian...

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Lost In The Void said:
Alright, I might just sound like a Bioware fanboy, but where was DA:O in this?
You're kidding right?
Sorry for coming off as ignorant, but you think that Uncharted 2 had a better story than Dragon Age. That's fair, its your opinion, but my differs from yours.

Dr.Doctor

Nov 5, 2008
Okay I can understand Uncharted and Creed, but Wolverine? Have they even played it?

But hey at least games are getting more recognition in this department.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
ineedscissors said:
Maybe I'm just a loser mainstream gamer, but what the hell is "Dead Head Fred"?
It was a very obscure game about...something. I recall reading about attaching different heads to your body that granted you various powers in order to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles.

Vague, but it's the best I could do without searching it.