Uncharted 3: First Look in 3D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Uncharted 3: First Look in 3D

We get our first look at Nate Drake's latest adventure, shown in stunning 3D.

Read Full Article

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Looking forward to playing this.

@Daystar
It's a cycle. American games will make villians out of every other culture/race/ethnic group and then bring it all back home where a game will have a surprise villian that happens to be American. Also, I don't think the British have it as bad as the Russians do at the moment. 2009-2010 had several games released back-to-back that depicted Russians as the enemy. Modern Warfare 2 went as far as having a Russian army invading Washington DC. I wonder why the Russians became such a target?

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Soooooo...

This stereotype grows tiresome.
^This, this and a thousand times this. But hey, i can laugh at the British villian stereotype, least of all i can laugh at this meme.

We should form an alliance with the Russians and the Germans. With Russian man-power, German technology and British leadership and charisma no Yankee upstarts could foil our plans to CONQUER THE WORLD!

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Heh, because all British people either sound as refined in speech as the queen herself, or they sound like that cockney goof Jason Statham.
They hit both stereotypes!

EDIT: I guess I should comment on the video. Looks good. Glad to see that they're pushing the cinematic cutscenes as hard as they can.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
We should form an alliance with the Russians and the Germans. With Russian man-power, German technology and British leadership and charisma no Yankee upstarts could foil our plans to CONQUER THE WORLD!
OF COURSE!

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Again with the British villains.

But how exactly am I to know this is in 3D?

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Unless the first two Uncharted games completely demonized British people, these claims of racism are completely unjustified and, in and of themself, racist. The mentality that if a villain is anything other than the same nationality as the main character, the game is racist, is just about the most racist thing anyone could say.

I've never played any Uncharted, which means I may be totally unqualified to make this complaint and may very well be making an ass of myself right now, but I watched this video without racism coming to mind once, then scrolled down to the comments and saw that that was the shared reaction from everybody here. I found the comments section of this article to be about 10x more racist than the vid.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
That fact the villain is essentially Jason Statham is hilarious.
Electrogecko said:
Unless the first two Uncharted games completely demonized British people, these claims of racism are completely unjustified and, in and of themself, racist. The mentality that if a villain is anything other than the same nationality as the main character, the game is racist, is just about the most racist thing anyone could say.

I've never played any Uncharted, which means I may be totally unqualified to make this complaint and may very well be making an ass of myself right now, but I watched this video without racism coming to mind once, then scrolled down to the comments and saw that that was the shared reaction from everybody here. I found the comments section of this article to be about 10x more racist than the vid.
There's at least one British villain in every Uncharted game, and Chloe Frazer is the only one who isn't a villain but she is morally grey. I don't think its racist, I like to think that England as a country has decreed that "Natan Drake is an ass hole. Get em'."

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
The bad guys have been loads of nationalities (eg Russian,Hispanic (or south American),American, British) In Uncharted.

Edit: probably the French and Bedouin in U3 too.

Dec 14, 2009
drisky said:
That fact the villain is essentially Jason Statham is hilarious.
Electrogecko said:

There's at least one British villain in every Uncharted game, and Chloe Fisher is the only one who isn't a villain but she is morally grey. I don't think its racist, I like to think that England as a country has decreed that "Natan Drake is an ass hole. Get em'."
Chloe was Australian, not British.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The Voice Actress is Austrialin (and when I stop to think about it I can hear the difference in the accent) but I don't think they ever specify her nationality soooo I guess she still doesn't count ether way. But still I wouldn't base it off the voice actor, I wouldn't consider Morrigan Australian partly because there is no Australia in Dragon age, but mostly because it seems they were going for characters that sounded British for the game. (because fantasy characters always have british accents i guess.)

Also it turns out that Flynn wasn't written as a british character, it was more coincidence that the actor was. Racist coincidence? Maybe.

Dec 14, 2009
drisky said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The Voice Actress is Austrialin (and when I stop to think about it I can hear the difference in the accent) but I don't think they ever specify her nationality soooo I guess she still doesn't count ether way. But still I wouldn't base it off the voice actor, I wouldn't consider Morrigan Australian partly because there is no Australia in Dragon age, but mostly because it seems they were going for characters that sounded British for the game. (because fantasy characters always have british accents i guess.)

Also it turns out that Flynn wasn't written as a british character, it was more coincidence that the actor was. Racist coincidence? Maybe.
You're right that their nationalities are never specified, and it doesn't really bother me. It's more of a sly smile at Hollywood stereotypes.

"Oh eh up, villian's British again."

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
Lady face face sort of reminded me of Judy Dench as M.

Tell you what, we've had worse stereotypes :D

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Soooooo...

This stereotype grows tiresome.
Hahaha, that was great.

I only just finished Uncharted 2 (and one recently as well) and I was making jokes about how the british person will always backstab everybody in anything.

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
drisky said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The difference is that in Uncharted, Claudia Black used her normal accent for Chloe - she was talking in an Australian accent. When she played Morrigan, she was putting on a British accent. I know some Americans struggle to tell the difference, but to natives of either country, the difference is blindingly obvious.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
sazzrah said:
drisky said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The difference is that in Uncharted, Claudia Black used her normal accent for Chloe - she was talking in an Australian accent. When she played Morrigan, she was putting on a British accent. I know some Americans struggle to tell the difference, but to natives of either country, the difference is blindingly obvious.
Well yeah, of course, you hear it every day you should be able to tell the difference. And like I said when I stopped to think about it, I can hear the difference. I just don't have enough exposure for it to be obvious, so I certainly can't tell when an Australian is faking a British accent. But yes, I miss-spoke.