Uncharted 3: The Last Crusade?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I've noticed that Uncharted 3 has several events that seem to parallel events that occur in the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They aren't exact replicas of things that happened in the movie but the general theme seems to match.

Spoilers obviously:

1. We have the flashback of a young Drake going after an "artefact" then being chased by others who want it which is how the movie begins.

2. There is a part in the movie where they get trapped in a Chateau and they accidentally start a fire. Uncharted 3, Chateau + Fire, although much more dramatic and deliberate.

3. In the movie they stow away on a Zeppelin. Uncharted 3 stow away on a jet.

4. In the movie Indie has to rescue his father from a vehicle in a convoy in some canyons in a desert while riding a horse. Uncharted 3 - Er same thing except replace father with Sully.

There might be others but I haven't quite finished the game yet, think I am pretty close and my memory is hazy about all the events in the movie. I'm probably reading too much into it but has anyone else noticed this?

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Yes I've noticed that as well, as well as the numerous "The Mummy" type sections.

While it's not wholly original, it's still incredible to play, and lets face it we never did get good versions of Indy or Mummy games to play. When game developers don't know how to make the most out of licensed material, give it to someone who can, I guess.

Amazing game so far though. Some of those puzzles are pretty puzzling...

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Yea, similar I would say. I think it's more a subtle nudge to kindle the Indy (and old-school adventure) nostalgia in all of us.

Its... not like any games have been as epic as Uncharted. There has never been anything like this as far as games go, I wouldn't say Uncharted steps on any toes. The only contender is the new Tomb Raider, and I seriously doubt it could rub shoulders with Uncharted's quality. I mean... how can you top Uncharted at it's own genre at this point?

I really loved the desert sections (in the plane and after), I though they were mesmerizing. The convoy chase was awesome. The only thing I didn't like, was the finale was too much like Uncharted 2's finale. Escape from the mysterious crumbling city etc. Still good though, just could have been different imo.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
In case you did not realise yet, Drake is inspired upon Indiana Jones :p
He is the counterpart to Lara Croft (which in alot of was Indi was as well.)

He's the modern day Indiana ^__^

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
There are even more similarietes:

Don't click if you haven't finsihed it, or it mihgt spoil some impactufl things in the end:
In both, drinking water is linked to fatal gunshots on the father figures.
IJ3: Henry Jones, Sr. is about to die, but a sip and a splash out of the grail heals him.
UC3: Sully is shot dead. But that turns out to have been a hallucination caused by the water Drake drinks from a fountain.

In both, the big bad wants an item from the lost site to gain power.

Also, in both, the long lost mythicalm place collapses shortly after it had been discovered.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ruwrak said:

Well yes obviously. It was more that U3 seems to take an awful lot from Last Crusade.

It also cheekily uses the exact same situation that was in one Tomb Raider game too. Although obviously does it sooooooo much better.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Tallim said:
Ruwrak said:

Well yes obviously. It was more that U3 seems to take an awful lot from Last Crusade.

It also cheekily uses the exact same situation that was in one Tomb Raider game too. Although obviously does it sooooooo much better.
I think that was their intentions :3
They were fully aware what they did, or so that notion I got when interviewing one of the designers. They wanted to put drake up as some sort of adventurer. And well... They succeeded in my eyes.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
ColeusRattus said:
There are even more similarietes:

Don't click if you haven't finsihed it, or it mihgt spoil some impactufl things in the end:
In both, drinking water is linked to fatal gunshots on the father figures.
IJ3: Henry Jones, Sr. is about to die, but a sip and a splash out of the grail heals him.
UC3: Sully is shot dead. But that turns out to have been a hallucination caused by the water Drake drinks from a fountain.

In both, the big bad wants an item from the lost site to gain power.

Also, in both, the long lost mythicalm place collapses shortly after it had been discovered.
I was looking for the aged Knight waving as
the city collapsed

all in all though a delightful romp, needed more Cutter though, the banter between him and Drake was wonderful

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ruwrak said:
Tallim said:
Ruwrak said:

I think that was their intentions :3
They were fully aware what they did, or so that notion I got when interviewing one of the designers. They wanted to put drake up as some sort of adventurer. And well... They succeeded in my eyes.
Oh yes they succeeded, loving the game now (once I got the aiming sensitivity right for me, i.e. maxed)

The Tomb Raider reboot has really got it's work cut out for it. I think their best bet is to go for big exploration and puzzles like the classic ones. If they try and take on Uncharted by being too actiony then they will fail.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Tallim said:
Oh yes they succeeded, loving the game now (once I got the aiming sensitivity right for me, i.e. maxed)

The Tomb Raider reboot has really got it's work cut out for it. I think their best bet is to go for big exploration and puzzles like the classic ones. If they try and take on Uncharted by being too actiony then they will fail.
Egh... Tomb Raider 1, but then without the distracing bull.... in between (Angel of Darkness etc.). I.e. the city environments, lots of killing people and a bit of puzzle solving, or that annoying RPG system =/ the f was that about?

It should be about jumping and running away from a T-Rex (kudo's if you get that one ;) )

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ruwrak said:
Tallim said:

Egh... Tomb Raider 1, but then without the distracing bull.... in between (Angel of Darkness etc.). I.e. the city environments, lots of killing people and a bit of puzzle solving, or that annoying RPG system =/ the f was that about?

It should be about jumping and running away from a T-Rex (kudo's if you get that one ;) )
Ugh never bring up Angel Of Darkness :( Sadly I actually liked the plot of that "game". It was supposed to be a multi-part thing but they just destroyed all the mechanics in one fell swoop and it played like treacle.

Yeah reboot needs to be more climbing, leaping and puzzles across fantastic environments, with the odd bit of combat mixed in for flavour. I kind of enjoyed Anniversary but they removed or toned down most of the really memorable bits.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Tallim said:
Ugh never bring up Angel Of Darkness :( Sadly I actually liked the plot of that "game". It was supposed to be a multi-part thing but they just destroyed all the mechanics in one fell swoop and it played like treacle.

Yeah reboot needs to be more climbing, leaping and puzzles across fantastic environments, with the odd bit of combat mixed in for flavour. I kind of enjoyed Anniversary but they removed or toned down most of the really memorable bits.
I can only hope that the James Bond Golden Eye Reloaded (remake of a wii remake of the N64 original) is allright. Gonna play that now for reviewing purposes.

Did you notice that most remakes shatter the notion of that which it upheld before? The anniversairy one for example.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Both Drake and Indiana Jones are reverse engineered from old adventure serials (Jumanji was like this too), so they will naturally have a lot in common. For example, the big guy who they have to have a losing fist fight with is a staple of old adventure serials, hence why both of them have it.

That said, when they brought up the city under the sands, I initially thought '...Tanis?' and actually paused it to exclaim to my brother 'ALEXANDRETTA of course. On the Pilgrim Trail from the Eastern Empire. Junior you did it.'

...I really like Indiana Jones. Sue me.