Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay Debuts at PlayStation Experience

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay Debuts at PlayStation Experience

Check out the next-gen half-tucked-shirt technology in this 15-minute Uncharted 4 gameplay demo.

The first ever PlayStation Experience kicked off in Las Vegas today, with a 90-minute keynote getting the fan event off to a rousing start. With lots of announcements and trailers teased for the keynote presentation, it's no surprise that Sony chose to begin by showing off one of its flagship series, Uncharted.

In a live gameplay demo, Naughty Dog's Bruce Straley played through 15 minutes of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, due out for the PlayStation 4 next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135198-Updated-Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End-Announced-For-2015]. Next-gen Nathan Drake is looking better than ever, and the footage was impressive: gorgeous water effects, plenty of texture detail in that half-tucked shirt, and a few new mechanics to take Uncharted's mix of puzzle-solving, exploration, and combat even further.

In the demo, Drake employs some Assassin's Creed-esque sneaking around before engaging in open gunplay with his foes, as usual killing enemies with no regard. He's got some new tricks on his sleeve, like swinging from a rope mid-combat to reach a shooter on another cliff and using a tool for mountain climbing. And, just in case there were any doubts that this was a live demo, Uncharted 4 glitched out mid-fall, sending Drake descending into a gray void. Straley recovered, and at the end of the demo Drake came face-to-face with an older man who referred to him as "little brother," implying that more of the treasure hunter's family history will be revealed in Uncharted 4.

Despite the glitchy moment, the demo was a great start to Sony's PlayStation Experience. Sadly, we still have no release date for Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, so we'll probably hear more around E3 next year.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Maybe I'm being cynical, but showing off new Uncharted? Wouldn't it be more prudent to say "We cut this from the last Uncharted. $50 please you rabid, desperate fanboy"?

Anyhow still one year away, not sure how much we can take away from this game play trailer, who knows how much polish will go into this thing in an years time. I know I had some problems running U3 till a certain update

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Las7 said:
Maybe I'm being cynical, but showing off new Uncharted? Wouldn't it be more prudent to say "We cut this from the last Uncharted. $50 please you rabid, desperate fanboy"?
...yeah you're just being very cynical. And hell, what's wrong with fleshing out possible cut-content and turning it into a full fledged game. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was exactly that same thing. Besides, Uncharted 3 came out over 4 years ago, so going and saying "it's just cut content they want to sell you as DLC" is a huge stretch because of how dumb that would be. Hell I'm not even the biggest fan of Uncharted and even I know it's gonna have a different story than Uncharted 3.

People are so hard to please nowadays, first with how some people are acting when it comes to the new Zelda, and now this.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Neronium said:
...yeah you're just being very cynical. And hell, what's wrong with fleshing out possible cut-content and turning it into a full fledged game. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was exactly that same thing. Besides, Uncharted 3 came out over 4 years ago, so going and saying "it's just cut content they want to sell you as DLC" is a huge stretch because of how dumb that would be. Hell I'm not even the biggest fan of Uncharted and even I know it's gonna have a different story than Uncharted 3.

People are so hard to please nowadays, first with how some people are acting when it comes to the new Zelda, and now this.
I was just selectively quoting a user from the Zelda thread before adding my opinion.

I don't know how much you can walk away with from a gameplay trailer 1 year before the game launch.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Really looking forward to Uncharted 4, one of the exclusive titles I got my playstation 4 for. This gameplay demo impressed me, some of the stuff shown was really cool. Look forward to playing it when it's out.

Las7 said:
I know I had some problems running U3 till I finally upgraded
Upgraded?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Las7 said:
I was just selectively quoting a user from the Zelda thread before adding my opinion.

I don't know how much you can walk away with from a gameplay trailer 1 year before the game launch.
Ah okay, my mistake. The comment showed up before your opinion was added, so my mistake.

OT: Looks interesting. I may pick it up next year along with the Ratchet and Clank 1 remake. Wonder if there was any news on that during the conference...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Las7 said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Las7 said:
I know I had some problems running U3 till I finally upgraded
Upgraded?
I had problems till a certain update, forgot which one
You've changed your comment. You originally replied saying you upgraded your PC. Your original reply does show up in my inbox. So, you upgraded your PC to play a PS3 game? Have you actually played any of the Uncharted games? Or were you just bashing it in your first post because you've seen other people bash it?

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I'm not a native speaker and made a mistake between upgrade and update I realized my mistake and I corrected it.

I was being comedic with my first comment by quoting a person in a Zelda thread who was commenting on a gameplay review an year before a game is released.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Las7 said:
I'm not a native speaker and made a mistake between upgrade and update I realized my mistake and I corrected it.

I was being comedic with my first comment by quoting a person in a Zelda thread who was commenting on a gameplay review an year before a game is released.
Fair enough, man.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Looks fun but don't really see anything new to warrant shelling out $60. Seems ND has integrated some elements from Tomb Raider, but ultimately it looks like the same Uncharted from last gen.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Spoiler Warning: Your "brother" betrays you

EDIT: The game looks fun though. I love the way enemies lose you can go back into stealth mode mid combat

Insanity_Incarnate

Feb 9, 2014
Some random thoughts I had while watching this.

I love the level design here, that was an extremely large and complex arena, much bigger than the ones from even the largest sections of the previous games, and I saw multiple paths the player made no use of.

I wonder if Tenzin was the one who taught Drake to use the grappling hook.

I like that they are using a tweaked version of the enemy AI from The Last of Us, allowing you to quickly switch from stealth to open combat and back as you lose and find enemies. It's also very impressive how well the AI was navigating a level that complex.

On the enemy AI I also liked that they were using a buddy system and that the one guy went looking for his friend when he didn't respond.

Over all I really liked what I saw, but I'm a huge fan of the series so it isn't that surprising.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Hang on a moment... were a few of those bad guys speaking with Australian accents? If so, I think Yahtzee has something to hit the panic button about, if his comments in his Uncharted 3 review are anything to go by.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
Hang on a moment... were a few of those bad guys speaking with Australian accents? If so, I think Yahtzee has something to hit the panic button about, if his comments in his Uncharted 3 review are anything to go by.
Those accents were South African, in fact (at least, I believe it's the South accent). They are somewhat similar though, and I had to learn how to differentiate the two.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
saluraropicrusa said:
an annoyed writer said:
Those accents were South African, in fact (at least, I believe it's the South accent). They are somewhat similar though, and I had to learn how to differentiate the two.
Ah, okay. Thanks!

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
That looked good. I hope they manage to get the frame rate to 60, would be the icing on the cake.
I liked the previous games as well as The Last of Us so I?m pretty excited to see it turning out good thus far.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
saluraropicrusa said:
an annoyed writer said:
No. Just no. Please never compare my accent to the SA accent *shudder*

Anyways, this is the first Unchartered game that actually looks interesting to me. The fluidity of the combat looked quite fun.

With this, Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, and more, i'm really going to have to find the money for a Ps4 at some point in the nearish future. But damn, the new Zelda looks good to, and with that and Hyrule Warriors and SSB and bayonetta, i'm going to have to find the money for a WU as well.

Sigh. It's going to be a very broke year lol

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I see some carry-over from The Last of Us with those contextual melee takedowns. This I like.

Hopefully they carry over the 'soft' cover system as well.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
BrotherRool said:
Spoiler Warning: Your "brother" betrays you

EDIT: The game looks fun though. I love the way enemies lose you can go back into stealth mode mid combat
Who do you think replaces Sully?