Uncharted 4 May Not Run at 60 FPS Because "It's Really F---ing Hard"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Uncharted 4 May Not Run at 60 FPS Because "It's Really F---ing Hard"

Game director Neil Druckmann has his doubts that Uncharted 4 will be able to hit that 60 FPS benchmark we were promised.

At this stage, I don't think I need to tell you that the next-gen consoles are 60 FPS/1080p [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138538-Low-Frame-Rates-in-Early-Reports-of-Assassins-Creed-Unity] for the title, but now game director Neil Druckmann has come out with his doubts, explaining that it's "really f---ing hard" to hit the benchmark.

"That's true for any game," Druckmann told Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2015/02/03/special-edition-podcast-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end.aspx]. "It was really hard on The Last of Us Remastered, and that's a game we had finished and we knew exactly what the end result needs to look like. And here [with Uncharted 4] we're trying to push the boundaries of what this game can look like; and do realistic, real-time cutscenes; and trying to do 60fps is really hard."

When asked directly if the team was still targeting that 60FPS/1080p benchmark, Druckmann replied "I don't know," adding "The objective for us is just to make the best experience. And right now we're trying to push the look. Then we'll see where we're at and reassess. We're constantly making choices to our production about what's going to make the game feel best and look its best."

He said that while the PS4 is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor and has made the process much easier, "There's always limited resources."

Maybe in the months just before the PS5 comes out, developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2015/02/03/special-edition-podcast-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end.aspx]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's hard to blame the devs, really. I imagine the tools they use can easily achieve these benchmarks and the key is simply how to fit that kind of performance into a shitty little box. PC devs that can't get a solid 60 fps don't really have an excuse, but I'll give console devs the benefit of the doubt here. I blame the hardware.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I love that you managed to slip that last little jab in there at the end, well done!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Steven Bogos said:
...developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.
Maybe they could stop trying for photorealism on cut-rate hardware and concentrate more on art style, playability and enjoyment?

...nah. You can't put those in a glossy magazine ad or full-size screenshot, after all.

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Steven Bogos said:
...developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.
Maybe they could stop trying for photorealism on cut-rate hardware and concentrate more on art style, playability and enjoyment?

...nah. You can't put those in a glossy magazine ad or full-size screenshot, after all.
you mean like nintendo is doing?

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I appreciate the devs just being honest about this. No "cinematic" line or anything else like that. They've just said, "Look, we want to do this with the graphics, so we can't hit this framerate." Everyone knows what they're getting, and you can choose to play it or not as a result. And I, for one, will almost certainly be a buyer.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Maybe in the months just before the PS5 comes out, developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.
I have a very simple solution; Start developing for the PC market. Our hardware is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS4 and Xbone.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
coolbond said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

you mean like nintendo is doing?
That seems to be what makes the difference. Not that I don't appreciate the quality of graphics PS4 can handle, but it could be cut down a notch to keep the framerate moderately above 30.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
CarlsonAndPeeters said:
I appreciate the devs just being honest about this. No "cinematic" line or anything else like that. They've just said, "Look, we want to do this with the graphics, so we can't hit this framerate." Everyone knows what they're getting, and you can choose to play it or not as a result. And I, for one, will almost certainly be a buyer.
I burst out laughing at that title, I won't lie. I appreciate Naughty Dog being frank about this. It's actually stunning when a Rep doesn't start spewing PR bullshit. A nice change of pace.

See, devs? Just be honest. "We can't do this thing, because it's really f*cking hard." It would have saved Peter Molyneux some trouble.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Maybe it's just because I'm a lifelong console gamer and couldn't play with a mouse and keyboard if my life depended on it, but I really could care less. I thought The Last of Us was absolutely beautiful and ran smoothly for me with no slowdown. And we all keep complaining about games like Battlefield and Destiny and Crysis and dozens of other over-hyped games that keep being the same old, same old despite looking really, really pretty.

So how about this: Why don't we get developers to try and make their games the best they can when it comes to deep mechanics, interesting and unique worlds, fantastic and emotional stories, complex characters, and games stuffed with rich (but meaningful) content. Once we get that, THEN we can worry about graphics and framerates. Because it's rare when we get games that are utterly beautiful but also a sheer joy to experience. Yes, it's my favorite game, but if we had more games with the love and care and effort of The Last of Us and less games that are another relatively shallow sandbox like Far Cry 4 with even shallower characters (save one), I think gaming would be better off.

Because ultimately, I'd rather play a game at 30fps/720p that can keep me entertained with multiple playthroughs and effect on any sort of level than a game at 60 or 120fps/1080p that's all style and no substance. I know it's a bit of a straw man agrument, but it's how I feel. Plus all this stuff reminds me of cliched teen romance movies where the guy has to get it through his thick head that the hot cheerleader has all the depth of a shotglass but the bookworm with inner beauty is his true soulmate.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, I'm cool with that. If it's anything like the other Uncharted games, it's still going to be good and still a blast to play. I've never really understood the hangup some people get about stuff like this. Pretty sure there are already people out there pitching fits because they were lied to, despite the fact that the guy is saying, before the game is even close to coming out, that hitting the moon might not be as easy as they thought. Still a fun game, so there really shouldn't be any problem.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
008Zulu said:
I have a very simple solution; Start developing for the PC market. Our hardware is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS4 and Xbone.
The question that leads to is how much of the PC market can run games at those settings? For if the Steam surveys are any indication its not a large portion of the playerbase.

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
its least they are just coming out with it. others try to say 30fps i better (turns out they cant even hit that more the most part).

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
So how about this: Why don't we get developers to try and make their games the best they can when it comes to deep mechanics, interesting and unique worlds, fantastic and emotional stories, complex characters, and games stuffed with rich (but meaningful) content. Once we get that, THEN we can worry about graphics and framerates. Because it's rare when we get games that are utterly beautiful but also a sheer joy to experience. Yes, it's my favorite game, but if we had more games with the love and care and effort of The Last of Us and less games that are another relatively shallow sandbox like Far Cry 4 with even shallower characters (save one), I think gaming would be better off.

Because ultimately, I'd rather play a game at 30fps/720p that can keep me entertained with multiple playthroughs and effect on any sort of level than a game at 60 or 120fps/1080p that's all style and no substance. I know it's a bit of a straw man agrument, but it's how I feel. Plus all this stuff reminds me of cliched teen romance movies where the guy has to get it through his thick head that the hot cheerleader has all the depth of a shotglass but the bookworm with inner beauty is his true soulmate.
At 60 bucks a pop, I dont think its that unreasonable to push for both

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
The Bucket said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

At 60 bucks a pop, I dont think its that unreasonable to push for both
Oh, you're right about that, to be sure. But since it seems most developers are willing to do either one or the other, I'd prefer them stick to story and gameplay over graphics and framerate.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Really, really don't give a fuck.

Make it look like late ps3 games for all I care. 30 fps at 720 and I'm happy.

Why I love being a primary console gamer, I'm not all nit picky and anal about shit I personally don't notice.

I've played maybe half of the last of us remastered and only due to this article know it runs at 60 fps and a higher res! I had no idea.

So, pc gamers, you can have your ultra glossy games, I'll have simplicity.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Dear Naughty Dog,

Please release your games on PC. I would love to play Uncharted and The Last of Us but I don't want to buy a Playstation. I don't care if you just port the games to PC just make it happen.

Sincerely,
PC Master Race.