Uncharted 4 May Not Run at 60 FPS Because "It's Really F---ing Hard"

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
You know what? Fine. At least they are saying outright that it is difficult rather than saying any bullshit like "30FPS is more cinematic," or "it has the feel of 60FPS." How can something have the feel of a much superior version?

Whatever, at least Naughty Dog are being honest which is infinitely better than what the majority of AAA companies do, which is lie their parachute pants off.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not that surprising. These are consoles that seem to have trouble reaching 1080p most of the time, let alone 1080p 60FPS. Whilst having the best graphics in the industry is a great thing to have at face value (ie videos, screenshots), when you actually start to play it, after a few minutes of uninterrupted playing, you kind of stop paying attention to what the game looks like. It is very much like when you go back and play an older title, and whilst your first reaction is almost always "this game looks pretty ugly now", after a while you just stop noticing, but when it comes to gameplay, you never stop feeling it.

This is the gaming industry, not the movie industry. Great graphics are awesome, but gameplay trumps all other factors in this matter. I would much rather have a game that looks good and plays great than a game that looks great but is okay to play.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Whatever... this is only their first game in the new platform.
They will get around to it, eventually. The differences between Uncharted 1 and 2 can atest to that.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
TopazFusion said:
Alcom1 said:
You don't cut your framerate to improve the narrative or the game mechanics, you cut the frame rate because you wanted some fancy shaders or higher polygon models, a concept that is really alien to me.
The point is, like it or not, fancy graphics is what sells games in this day and age. Particle effects, post-process effects, HBAO+, HDR rendering, etc, etc, is what stands out in screenshots and (horribly artifacted) youtube videos. So these effects will always trump framerate when push comes to shove..
Nah, I'm fine with it. There are plenty of games with different graphics choices to go around.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I appreciate the honesty and no PR bullshit.

For people saying it should go stylist instead of photo-realistic. Fine, but then it wouldn't really be uncharted any more.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Well, nice of them to up and say it.
Personally, I'd rather if everyone set 60 fps as the goal, and kept that as their limit on how nice they can make it look- but, hey, what can you do.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
omega 616 said:
Really, really don't give a fuck.

Make it look like late ps3 games for all I care. 30 fps at 720 and I'm happy.

Why I love being a primary console gamer, I'm not all nit picky and anal about shit I personally don't notice.

I've played maybe half of the last of us remastered and only due to this article know it runs at 60 fps and a higher res! I had no idea.

So, pc gamers, you can have your ultra glossy games, I'll have simplicity.
Ehhh, come now. It's nothing short of impossible to play a smooth 60fps game for awhile and not notice the difference when you get back on a 30fps game. Very jarring. Even my dog notices the difference and leaves the room in disgust.

And there's nothing anal about expecting decent performance from a console. We're about 10 years past the time when 30 fps games with respectable graphics were available on consoles. It;s all the more disappointing because we're going to be stuck in the same position for 5 more years.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Eh, whatever. The only time I even notice frame rate is when it drops to unplayable levels or something that runs at 30 and something that runs at 60 are both on screen at the same time. As long as it remains playable and it looks good, everything else is just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Though I do find it kinda funny that the PS4 and Xbone rarely break 60 when Smash Bros on the 3DS runs at 60 with no problem. That's all the graphics arm race does, makes you look like an idiot when you promise the moon and can't deliver.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Maybe in the months just before the PS5 comes out, developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.
And maybe PC gamers will fix their ongoing piracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139721-Steam-Scam-Targets-Gamers-With-Fake-In-Game-Comms-Apps] problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139604-Ubisoft-Revokes-Far-Cry-4-CD-Keys-Bought-From-Resellers] and developers will want to prioritise them again :D

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Why? Why the fuck not? Games on the N64 and PS2 could go 60 FPS, why the fuck is it "so f---ing hard"? Do you really need to push for high fidelity graphics when you're on a limited platform?

Seems like most devs are too concerned over making their games look pretty in stills, always shooting for top-tier graphics but either forcing the game to get squashed into a small resolution and/or running at a sluggish framerate. I'm not sure if I'm alone here, but I prefer my games running at a higher, stable framerate than having the prettiest graphics or HD resolution.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
Maybe in the months just before the PS5 comes out, developers will finally figure out how to reliably hit the 1080p/60 FPS benchmark PC gamers have been enjoying for years now.
Really couldn't resist throwing in that last bit could you? Odd how a business aggressively acts in a manner to narrow its market as much as possible. No sympy [footnote]http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Big+Poppa+Pump+Scott+Steiner[/footnote]from me when it bites back hard. Oh well its expected at this point, and its an easy way to play to marks[footnote]I hope that is what is anyway...[/footnote] in the end.

DerangedHobo said:
Oh look, another news article where a developer failed to meet the "NEXT GEN WILL BE AMAZING MOTHERFUCKING 1080P THAT'S RIGHT, 10 MOTHERFUCKING 80 P WITH 60 FPS, THE HARDWARE MAY BE DATED BUT WE GOT WOLFENSTEIN JEW MAGIC, BABY!". Que the flock of people talking about how frame rate doesn't matter and it doesn't matter that consoles touting 'amazing' hardware is an under performing joke which can't even do 'put it in and start playing' right anymore. Time to settle for less and cave anyway right?

Because platform wars? Platform wars never change.
... So incorrect I'm not even going to break it down. Read the "news article" (by definition it isn't one but it masquerades as one) itself and the posts here to find what you're saying is bunkum.

CaptainMarvelous said:
And maybe PC gamers will fix their ongoing piracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139721-Steam-Scam-Targets-Gamers-With-Fake-In-Game-Comms-Apps] problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139604-Ubisoft-Revokes-Far-Cry-4-CD-Keys-Bought-From-Resellers] and developers will want to prioritise them again :D
Its just some mic work to get some cheap pops from the majority. The escapist really needs to put a warning/indication/or split these off because something that is supposed to be news is no place for cheap pops.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Fappy said:
It's hard to blame the devs, really. I imagine the tools they use can easily achieve these benchmarks and the key is simply how to fit that kind of performance into a shitty little box. PC devs that can't get a solid 60 fps don't really have an excuse, but I'll give console devs the benefit of the doubt here. I blame the hardware.
Isnt it the other way around, with a PC its a lot harder to optimise since most PCs are made of different parts, a PS4 is a PS4, all they need to do is cut down on some visual stuff and its done. They arent even doing a game that is multiplatform, all they have to worry about is how it plays on one console.

This to me just feels like they dont want to lower the visuals, something that Sony is famous for. Remember that first trailer that looked way better then what was last shown?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
pearcinator said:
Dear Naughty Dog,

Please release your games on PC. I would love to play Uncharted and The Last of Us but I don't want to buy a Playstation. I don't care if you just port the games to PC just make it happen.

Sincerely,
PC Master Race.
Naughty Dog is a second party developer of Sony, therefore, releasing their titles on the PC would be like having Burger King agree to let McDonalds sell the Whopper.

Granted, even though Sony bankrolls and basically houses the studio, being the only reason their games are possible, it won't stop the PC crowd from crying "HOLDING GAMES HOSTAGE!!1!", So, whatever.

as to the framerate issue, I'll be the first to admit profound ignorance regarding software performance and hardware limitations, but provided they don't try to dress up missing the 60 fps mark as a good thing, and do sincerely make every effort to have the game run as smoothly as possible while keeping their ideal presentation in mind, I have no complaints.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
If you can't go for 1080/60, then go for 720/60, if that's easier to archieve.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Well at least Naughty Dog is using human words as opposed to certain others who only seem to speak in riddles every time this sort of thing happens.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
"Hurr PC Master Race" is what I was expecting from the comments. Funny how it showed up in the "news" article.

Seriously, though - this is why games journalism is kinda dying out and video content is taking over. People are desperate for some sort of personality in their articles even when there is absolutely none present.

And no, I'm not a "console peasant" or whatever bullshit term you insane people have for it. I have all three consoles, a PC, and a 3DS. I just find all this PC dick-waving to be annoying as fuck.

plutoburns

Nov 19, 2014
coolbond said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Maybe they could stop trying for photorealism on cut-rate hardware and concentrate more on art style, playability and enjoyment?

...nah. You can't put those in a glossy magazine ad or full-size screenshot, after all.
you mean like nintendo is doing?
That's whats been blowing my mind lately. Hey developers, if you didn't burn all your power on textures and draw distance, maybe you could make the damn games run smooth. And here's nintendo with inferior hardware whipping the floor with you guys in terms of performance.

Also, nintendo's games look GREAT. Maybe its because we haven't seen them in hd before, but mario kart and other nintendo properties are blowing my mind. But then I play something like "Last of Us" and all i can think is "Hey, thats a pretty rendering of a mountain. Looks almost as good as a picture. of a mountain. that exists."

I guess my point is if you want to blow my mind with visuals, how about you draw something I can't see by googleing it.