Uncharted 4 Takes Home GOTY at SXSW

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Uncharted 4 Takes Home GOTY at SXSW

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/870/870689.jpg
Uncharted 4 beat out Dishonored 2, Doom, Overwatch, and Titanfall 2 for the coveted GOTY at this year's SXSW conference.

South by Southwest [https://www.sxsw.com/] is a huge entertainment conference and festival in Austin, Texas. Primarily about music, it does have a considerable gaming aspect, and just like many other gaming festivals has its own "Game of The Year" awards. This year, Naughty Dog's Uncharted 4 took home the gold, beating out favorite Overwatch, as well as Dishonored 2, Doom and Titanfall 2.

Here are the other winners:

Mobile Game of the Year: Pokemon Go - Niantic
Tabletop Game of the Year: Arkham Horror: The Card Game - Fantasy Flight Games
Esports Game of the Year: Overwatch - Blizzard Entertainment
Trending Game of the Year: Overwatch - Blizzard Entertainment
Fan Creation of the Year: Brutal Doom 64 - Sergeant_Mark_IV
Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation: That Dragon, Cancer - Numinous Games
Excellence in Narrative: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Sony Computer Entertainment / Naughty Dog
Excellence in Design: Dishonored 2 - Bethesda Softworks / Arkane Studios
Excellence in Gameplay: Doom - Bethesda Softworks / id Software
Most Fulfilling Community-Funded Game: Starbound - Chucklefish Games
Most Promising New Intellectual Property: Overwatch - Blizzard Entertainment
Most Memorable Character: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Nathan Drake
Excellence in Multiplayer: Overwatch - Blizzard Entertainment
Excellence in Convergence: Batman: Arkham VR - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment / Rocksteady Studios
Excellence in Art: Firewatch - Panic Inc. / Campo Santo
Excellence in Animation: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Sony Computer Entertainment / Naughty Dog
Excellence in Visual Achievement: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Sony Computer Entertainment / Naughty Dog
Excellence in Technical Achievement: Battlefield 1 - Electronic Arts / EA DICE
Excellence in Musical Score: Doom - Bethesda Softworks / id Software
Excellence in SFX: Battlefield 1 - Electronic Arts / EA DICE

Source: South by Southwest [https://www.sxsw.com/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
These awards fail to confirm my exact preferences and thus can only be the result of corruption, conspiracy, and/or nepotism.

(Seriously though, Nathan Drake for most memorable character? Surely there was something better than that on offer?)

Sep 28, 2016
Doom had a musical score? I don't remember any music other than the shotgun synch bit at the beginning. The tune wasn't even that distinguishable or original.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Zhukov said:
These awards fail to confirm my exact preferences and thus can only be the result of corruption, conspiracy, and/or nepotism.

(Seriously though, Nathan Drake for most memorable character? Surely there was something better than that on offer?)
Have you played Uncharted 4? He had tons of character development over the course of the game. And by the end, he started to realize what was truly most important to him. From that perspective, I can see him getting that award.

It's not like any of the Overwatch characters change over the course of any given match. They are memorable in a more superficial way. Drake's journey is memorable in a whole different way.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Saltyk said:
Zhukov said:

Have you played Uncharted 4? He had tons of character development over the course of the game. And by the end, he started to realize what was truly most important to him. From that perspective, I can see him getting that award.

It's not like any of the Overwatch characters change over the course of any given match. They are memorable in a more superficial way. Drake's journey is memorable in a whole different way.
Yeah, I played it. And I liked it. I even rather liked Drake.

Still think there should have been someone better.

Granted, nobody is coming to mind. So maybe it was just a year short of quality characters.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Zhukov said:
Saltyk said:
Zhukov said:

Yeah, I played it. And I liked it. I even rather liked Drake.

Still think there should have been someone better.

Granted, nobody is coming to mind. So maybe it was just a year short of quality characters.
Fair enough.

The only other characters I can think of (going off what else won on the list) would have been the Doom Marine, who doesn't really have a character. So I can see where you're coming from in that regard.

If we're going off character design, I certainly wouldn't see Drake as that memorable (as much as I like him as a character) to be honest.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Johnny Novgorod said:
What's "excellence in convergence"?
Accoring to https://www.sxsw.com/awards/gaming-awards/:
SXSW said:
Awarded to the game that excels in crossover to other entertainment mediums such as film, music, toys, animation, sports and more.
One of the other nominees were FIFA 17. Maybe thinking of it in terms of "translating something not originally a video game to a video game" is helpful.