Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Suggested to be Over Ten Hours

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Suggested to be Over Ten Hours

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1395/1395608.jpg
Naughty Dog director of communications Arne Mayer has hinted that The Lost Legacy will be over ten hours long.

Back when Naughty Dog announced IBtimes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168968-Uncharted-The-Lost-Legacy-Coming-Next-year], Mayer suggested that the game will be over ten hours long.

Years ago, when we were asked if we were ever doing a single player expansion for Uncharted we always said, 'Well, we don't have the self-discipline to do that'. If we tried to do that we'd create a full game," Mayer said.

"There's no way we could, sort of, constrict and restrain ourselves, and that's exactly what was happening here. When we were doing story pitches, we were coming up with a game that would be over ten hours long and so we suddenly realized everything we said was true and we couldn't keep it short."

Naughty Dog had previously stated that the DLC would be much longer than The Last of Us' Left Behind expansion, which clocked in at around three hours.

[gallery=7171]

The Lost Legacy stars Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross, who appeared in previous games in the franchise. It is set in India and sees Chloe hire mercenary Nadine "in order to recover a fabled ancient Indian artifact and keep it out of the hands of a ruthless war profiteer."

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is expected to be released later in 2017, exclusively for PlayStation 4.

Source: IBtimes [http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/naughty-dog-teases-uncharted-lost-legacy-may-be-over-10-hours-long-1615941]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
10 WHOLE hours?! Oh please, you temptress tell me there's day-one DLC and controls! OH OOOOOHHHH! Ten entire hours for $65+ dollars! Oh so ready!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Silentpony said:
10 WHOLE hours?! Oh please, you temptress tell me there's day-one DLC and controls! OH OOOOOHHHH! Ten entire hours for $65+ dollars! Oh so ready!
It's a standalone DLC. There's no way it'll be $65+. (Right???)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marter said:
Silentpony said:
Well they charge $60 for ten hours on regular games, so...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Silentpony said:
Well they charge $60 for ten hours on regular games, so...
I guess. But it'll likely be around $30, given its standalone DLC status.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I am okay with this.

Very okay with it actually. Could do with a few more shorter, tightly designed games and a few less 80+ hour death marches through swamps of padded low-effort "content".

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Remember back when games, and even expansions used to be over 60 hours?
Remember Hordes of the Underdark, the Neverwinter Nights expansion?

Sure, it's not the cinematic level of Uncharted, but delivering graphics over content is always a failed basis to promote something.
And I don't mean content in the Ubisoft way in which it just seems like random collectibles sprinkled around a map.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
JenSeven said:
I don't - but then again, I barely played very slow progressing RPGs back in the day.
Platformers and various shooters I did play. And those didn't clock in at 60 hours. More like 10 to 20 as well. And expansions didn't have 60 hours, either.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
JenSeven said:
Over sixty hours for a single playthrough?

No, not really, such games are (and were) few and far between in my experience. Also, it isn't accurate to say that greater length automatically equals greater quality.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
JenSeven said:
Two completely different genres.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Hawki said:
JenSeven said:

No, not really, such games are (and were) few and far between in my experience. Also, it isn't accurate to say that greater length automatically equals greater quality.
I dunno, it certainly depends on the game and the tolerance you have for repetition. I have several hundred hours in multiple files on multiple Bethesda RPGs, and 300 alone in a single playthrough of Dragon's Dogma. It happens.
It's quite a lot to expect from what is a modern day cinematic platformer though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
They somehow managed to make Chloe unsexy.
They already did that in Uncharted 3. Atleast they fixed her face this time.

I do feel there's a bit of B-team hanging over this game in the way characters look and animate. But I'll reserve judgement till I see some genuine gameplay, which I highly doubt there was any of in the reveal trailer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chaosian said:
I dunno, it certainly depends on the game and the tolerance you have for repetition. I have several hundred hours in multiple files on multiple Bethesda RPGs, and 300 alone in a single playthrough of Dragon's Dogma. It happens.
It's quite a lot to expect from what is a modern day cinematic platformer though.
"Depends on the game," as in, being an RPG. Which is the example that everyone has used.

I'm not contesting that playthroughs of 60-plus hours exist, I'd just like to contest the idea that there was some mythical point in the past where that was the norm, and the idea that increased length automatically means increased quality.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
10 hours seems about right for this type of game and puts it roughly in "Full length" territory. Of course, the real important part is just how well that 10 hours is paced and how fun it is.

Uncharted 2 and 3 for the most part made good use of their time, excluding the ship levels for 3, which contributed nothing to the game other then allowing Drake to experience a sinking ship set-piece. I haven't played 4 yet but I've heard that one is paced quite well. We shall not speak of Uncharted 1(okay, it's not that bad but it's by far the weakest of the series).

Even the Last of us felt a tad too long, mostly because of Pittsburgh, that hours long roadblock which only seems to exist in the game to give Ellie and Joel more time to bond.

I used to believe the longer games were better games, until I realized that I don't have time for every game to be a long one, and many long games don't do enough to justify their length.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Marter said:
Silentpony said:
I hope not. While 10 hours puts it firmly in the "full length" game territory, I would really hope it's not full price. Then again, how much effort are they putting in it if it isn't?

Mind you, this is Naughty Dog. And Naughty Dog is basically Rare, if Rare never fell from grace. But I'm not ignorant of the realities of making games in the modern day.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If it's standalone, that's pretty handy. I never experienced the beloved character of Chloe, so it seems a worthy enough chance at redeeming such personal failings.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Hawki said:
Chaosian said:
"Depends on the game," as in, being an RPG. Which is the example that everyone has used.

I'm not contesting that playthroughs of 60-plus hours exist, I'd just like to contest the idea that there was some mythical point in the past where that was the norm, and the idea that increased length automatically means increased quality.
Well, to give a non-RPG examples, I have 160 hours in the original Metro 2033, and 110 hours in Resident Evil 6. I'm sure everyone could give weird examples.
As for quality and time, it's not necessarily correlated, but there is an additional value you can place on the game from it. If you are someone who cares about the money they spend, spending $80 on 100 hours of enjoyment could be a lot more worthwhile then spending that $80 on something that's 8.
I do agree that the mythic era of every game taking 60 hours to beat never existed though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sold!

I mean, I was sold already, but count me in even more now. This sounds like a true single player DLC experience.
Although, I am forced to wonder how fast you will actually be able to get through the DLC, seeing as the ten hour mark makes it longer than Uncharted 4. Please, no speed run trophy this time guys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
JenSeven said:

Thank you. There are still people who think this philosophy is the best way to design a game, when it can become the worst way. If a game is full of senseless or pointless padding, I will lose interest on the spot or will not bother with a second playthrough.

Dalisclock said:
I used to believe the longer games were better games, until I realized that I don't have time for every game to be a long one, and many long games don't do enough to justify their length.
When you're a kid/teenager with lots of free time on your hands, of course a longer game sounds better for a greater experience. But even during my late pre-teen/early teen years, I did not care much for overly long games.I would always take a 6-12 hour game with high replay value over a 30-60+ hour game. That is why I rarely touch RPGS at all. Looking back, there were many games, though not all, in the PS2 era that suffered from this (mainly the RPG and certain sandbox games).

Best of luck to ND. I am not Uncharted fan, but I am glad their fan base is getting something special.