Uncharted: Tintin Does Die Hard

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Uncharted: Tintin Does Die Hard

Uncharted 2 co-lead designer Richard Lemarchand says that main character Nathan Drake was designed to be a cross between The Adventures of Tintin's protagonist and Bruce Willis' John Mclane from Die Hard.

I have it on good authority that people really liked the first Uncharted, or something along those lines. It might not have pushed too many boundaries in terms of development (to quote one snarky Brit, the game was "safe"), but no one said a game had to be revolutionary to be great, right? It can just be a damn good game.

hasn't been pushed back to 2010 [http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/09/16/with-uncharted-2-game-developers-shoot-for-a-movie-like-blockbuster/], anyway). Lemarchand discussed, among other things, how Naughty Dog was trying to make a "movie-like blockbuster," and in doing so looked back to the very beginnings of adventure storytelling for inspiration for the character of Nathan Drake.

[blockquote]He is recognizable as a regular guy. That was important for us. We wanted him to be a fallible hero - that was common as a thread in all of the pulp fiction we looked at. Our research for the original Uncharted took us all the way back to the beginnings of adventure storytelling. We looked at Robert Louis Stevenson and Robinson Crusoe. We zeroed in on early 20th century stories like Doc Savage, who was a finely honed physical specimen. That led us to heroes like Die Hard [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin]. They're not highly physically trained, but more regular guys who fight in a sloppy way. They don't have precise Ninja powers.[/blockquote]

In other words, Nathan Drake is the master of the Indy Ploy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndyPloy] - and if you think he's not pushing any boundaries as a character, that's probably because he's not meant to. Nor was he meant to be Tomb Raider's Lara Croft, as he is perhaps most frequently compared to: "Lara is in the vein of the perfect spy with precise athletic abilities. Nathan was always at right angles to that. That's why he is a recognizable character. It's very humanizing. He throws a punch in a way that will put him off balance and let him get clunked on the head," says Lemarchand.

To do so, the team used several different animation techniques beyond simple motion capture - rather than going for ultra-realism, Naughty Dog aimed more for a stylized pulp fiction feel. Were they successful? I suppose we'll have to judge when the game comes out next month on October 13th. Sorry, I meant Rocktober 13th [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94748-Rock-Your-Face-Off-With-Brutal-Legend-The-Intro-Movie]. Boy, that'll be a tough choice for some, huh?

If you're biting your nails in anticipation for Uncharted 2, the a better-than-perfect score [http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/09/16/with-uncharted-2-game-developers-shoot-for-a-movie-like-blockbuster/], anyway. That's just silly.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Couldn't care less about Uncharted but damn! That headline is eye-catching.
I came for the title, stayed for the quote.

...everything else? Meh. The first Uncharted was so... so... average.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Well, both Tintin and Uncharted are equally racist...

... Okay, maybe Tintin is a bit more racist.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I loved TinTin!, i knew something about him reminded me of him!, still cant place it, maybe its the hair, who knows.

Roll on Uncharted 2

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Naughty Dog think Nathan Drake is like Tintin?

Hergé is turning in his grave.

Those where two of the coolest fictional characters of the 20th century, Drake is NOT cool. He is annoying. Every time he opens his mouth if just sound like he is trying to be witty and pithe yet fails.

Strange it is the developer that is saying this, not any critic or some impartial third party. I get they were aiming for a kind of "action tintin" but that is just not what they got, more like a presenter of an MTV reality TV show.

I'd say Drake is to Tintin in only the same way Crash Bandicoot is to Mario or Sonic the Hedghog.

They said John McClain too? I suppose next they are going to tell us he's also a lot like Indiana Jones, James Bond, The Fonz, Jules Winnfield, Dirty Harry, Rorschach and the combined works of Steve McQueen, Samuel L Jackson, Charles Bronston and Humphrey Bogart.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
Oh my god....Tin Tin? Ugh, I wasn't worthy enough to enjoy that series
Does that make sense? Hell no. Is it true? Hell yes. Tin Tin is a legend, best thing to come out of France next to Jean Reno.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
Does that make sense? Hell no. Is it true? Hell yes. Tin Tin is a legend, best thing to come out of France next to Jean Reno.
BELGIUM!

Herge is BELGIAN! Tintin is Belgian, Herge wrote all his works while living in Belgium under a Belgian publisher.

Don't mix up the Belgians and the French, that's like mixing up Canada and USA. Same language, different countries.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Treblaine said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
BELGIUM!

Herge is BELGIAN! Tintin is Belgian, Herge wrote all his works while living in Belgium under a Belgian publisher.

Don't mix up the Belgians and the French, that's like mixing up Canada and USA. Same language, different countries.

My apologies. The best thing to come out of Belgium since...chocolate? I didn't mix them up per se, I was fed false information way back when, and never challenged it.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Uncharted 2 co-lead designer Richard Lemarchand says that main character Nathan Drake was designed to be a cross between The Adventures of Tintin's protagonist and Bruce Willis' John Mclane from Die Hard.
Do you all realise how stupid that sounds? What's next,snarky ottsel as a sidekick?

Oh,wait.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Xvito said:
Well, both Tintin and Uncharted are equally racist...

... Okay, maybe Tintin is a bit more racist.
Except Tintin has the good excuse of being written between the 30's and the 60's.
Yes, and it's actually well written...

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
"The stories within the Tintin series always feature slapstick humour, accompanied in later albums by sophisticated satire, and political and cultural commentary." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin]

Splinter Cell is still going strong, and you are at an age where you can appreciate it!

Tin Tin cartoon series though was coming to an end around the time I was a kid. And the only cartoons my mental facilities could "appreciate" back then were simple like Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo. (great series with a not so sophisticated plot kids can get)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
"The stories within the Tintin series always feature slapstick humour, accompanied in later albums by sophisticated satire, and political and cultural commentary." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin]

Splinter Cell is still going strong, and you are at an age where you can appreciate it!

Tin Tin cartoon series though was coming to an end around the time I was a kid. And the only cartoons my mental facilities could "appreciate" back then were simple like Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo. (great series with a not so sophisticated plot kids can get)
I was still a lad when Tin Tin was being shown, and I loved it still. And it was updated! You had no excuse!

Splinter cell? Meshing arguments together are we?

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
I was still a lad when Tin Tin was being shown, and I loved it still. And it was updated! You had no excuse!
Scooby Doo was hilarious and could talk! (albeit in a retarded manner, but a considerable feet for a dog)

What did Tin Tin's "sidekick" have to offer?

"Snowy is fond of Loch Lomond brand scotch whisky, and his occasional bouts of drinking tend to get him into trouble" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_and_Snowy#Snowy_.28Milou.29]

Oh...an alcoholic, I see...

*pictured above- Tin Tin filling out Snowy's rehab form...
ChromeAlchemist said:
Splinter cell? Meshing arguments together are we?
I have seen the light, but you still wallow in darkness! Can you not see I am only trying to save you!!!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
hansari said:
I just saw the Professional. I consider it to be one of my favorite films now. Jean Reno = awesome.