Uncharted Voice Actor Doesn't Want Royalties

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Uncharted Voice Actor Doesn't Want Royalties

Nolan North, who provided the voice of Nathan Drake in 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Playstation-3/dp/B000UW21A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280784428&sr=1-1], apparently doesn't want royalties for his work, believing his contribution to be relatively minor.

I don't know if Nolan North has a middle name, but if he does, I'd bet it's something like 'Ubiquitous', because the man turns up everywhere. With credits that include Uncharted 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Playstation-3/dp/B000P46NMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280784470&sr=1-1], he's certainly not short of work; which might explain why he's not particularly concerned with getting royalties for his work.

"There's no pressure when going in for an audition now, since I've worked on such big games," he said. "In all fairness, hundreds of people are working 12 hour days for several years to make a game, so it's unfair for me to expect residuals, given the amount of work I contribute."

Wages and royalties have long been a point of contention for voice actors, with the SAG having recently rejected an unfavorable deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96639-Game-Voice-Actors-Reject-Contract-Due-to-Low-Pay] for its member from the videogame industry. North's comments sound all good and humble, but it's easy to be magnanimous when you've got a relatively steady stream of work and for the actors faced with the prospect of performing twenty voices in a single session, must be more than a little difficult to hear.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/16/nolan-north-believes-voice-acting-royalties-unfair-to-expect-]

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Yeah, when they start putting voice actors on 'crunch time' for months at a time I'll say they're underpaid.

Jul 9, 2008
cobrausn said:
Yeah, when they start putting voice actors on 'crunch time' for months at a time I'll say they're underpaid.
Hey, the devs being underpaid doesn't mean that the VAs can't be underpaid as well.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well I'm getting so damn sick of his voice anyway....

Also, unfortunately, my reaction is to automatically assume he's doing this for the press.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
About time someone said that. Then again, it's coming from someone who could probably use dollar bills for kleenex (using a Canadian Loonie would hurt), so it doesn't mean too much. Still, nice to see a voice actor admitting the people who make the actual game are important.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It could just be me, but "Uncharted Voice Actor Calls Royalties Unfair" gives a whole different impression than "Uncharted Voice Actor Feels Unworthy Of Royalties". I read the title as if the guy wants a raise.

Can't say how much of a contribution a voice actor brings to a game, though. On one hand, a good game can succeed in spite of bad voice acting, but on the other, good actors are essential to setting the mood to a game.

JRCB said:
About time someone said that. Then again, it's coming from someone who could probably use dollar bills for kleenex (using a Canadian Loonie would hurt), so it doesn't mean too much. Still, nice to see a voice actor admitting the people who make the actual game are important.
What makes you say voice actors for games are swimming in money?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
I "don't if" either, if it makes you feel any better.

Grammatical foibles aside, while it's nice to see someone who's successful take a step back and question why, it can't exactly resonate with the other, far less successful ones all that much.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nolan North sounds like a pretty cool dude from this. But I still rank Jennifer Hale [http://swedish.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/] as my favorite professional voice actor/actress.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
LTK_70 said:
It could just be me, but "Uncharted Voice Actor Calls Royalties Unfair" gives a whole different impression than "Uncharted Voice Actor Feels Unworthy Of Royalties". I read the title as if the guy wants a raise.

Can't say how much of a contribution a voice actor brings to a game, though. On one hand, a good game can succeed in spite of bad voice acting, but on the other, good actors are essential to setting the mood to a game.

JRCB said:
What makes you say voice actors for games are swimming in money?
I looked at his list of games that he worked on. They're fairly popular titles. Probably not as much money as I said, but still much more than I make.

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
Nolan's got more work than a $5 hooker during shoreleave, he can say stuff like that, but when you've got people like Michael Hollick (the voice of Niko Bellic in GTA 4) who was paid a one-off fee then didn't get any of the millions the game raked in, it's pretty easy to say royalties are unfair. Sure, developers put far more effort into making the product itself, but most of these voice actors have their profession in mind, and probably want to move on to screen acting.

And if you don't want your royalties Nolan, donate it to charity!

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
Even if it is somewhat lessened from the fact that he does have a major source of income and is fairly well off, it is incredibly refreshing to see someone who believes his little contribution wasn't the part that made the game great. Now, if a few other selected, overpaid jobs can do that also, we could dramatically reduce the price of what a game costs.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
In my view he made the game VERY enjoyable.

He chit chatted here and there and commented on the situation. I like him, his voice isn't annoying, he's actually good at it and he have pretty good lines too.

If he thinks he's getting paid to much, well no big deal.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Royalties for voice actors in general should be removed. They don't write the work. They don't play any instrument. They should, like artists, be paid by the piece.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
What does this teach us? Almost anyone can do voice over work. He practically said it himself.

FangsFirst

Jul 14, 2008
Earthmonger said:
Royalties for voice actors in general should be removed. They don't write the work. They don't play any instrument. They should, like artists, be paid by the piece.
But what about musical artists? Film artists?
They are paid for each *copy* of their work (...theoretically). That's the principle here. It's like the royalties from each sale of the game are the equivalent of funds from purchased movie tickets.
Not that this is a necessary step (it can, of course, be salaried or lump sum-ed), but it's not totally insane. Screen actors rarely get royalties (though some negotiate for it).

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Respect to him. I do believe he should get royalties based on the contribution he made, a bit less than the developers. But then I also believe the devs should too and that's never going to happen.