Uncharted's Third Story Told Through Written Word

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Uncharted's Third Story Told Through Written Word

Uncharted will return in 2011, but not in videogame form.

Playing through the Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/UNCHARTED-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288537019&sr=8-2] games is fun, but can you imagine being able sit back, relax, and read one? I'm serious, fans may soon be able to get rid of that pesky controller and enjoy an Uncharted novel while sitting by the fireplace or outside on a hammock amongst the falling autumn leaves.

Del Rey Books has announced that it'll be expanding the adventures of treasure hunter Nathan Drake through a novel called Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth. It'll be written by Christopher Golden, the author of multiple Hellboy novels, Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels, and Bloodstained Oz.

Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth will follow Drake in a completely new adventure that has him searching for the labyrinth of Daedalus. In mythology, a tale exists of an incredibly deadly and intricate labyrinth built by a man named Daedalus to hold a Minotaur. Drake himself might not go up against a Minotaur, but he'll probably face plenty of deathtraps and eventually find some kind of shiny bauble.

The book is known to take Drake to both the ruins of Crete and a secret crypt in the heart of China. Exactly what he's searching for and who'll be trying to get to it first is unknown, but chances are good that Drake will have plenty of competition and speed bumps in his way. The novel should serve to tide over action-adventure fans that also like to read until Uncharted 3 is eventually announced, which has only been spoken of in shaky rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104671-Uncharted-3s-Deceit-Exposed-on-Amazon-France] so far.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Why is it that I'm dubious about this when I haven't played either of the games?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Interesting, though I'd rather wait for the video game. This does make me feel that I should read more books now...

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
This sounds cool...

I haven't read many video game-based books, but I did love the few that I have. Mostly because they were actually based on films or a "universe" instead of the game (ie: "I Am Jade Falcon," "Aliens: Earth Hive...").

But considering I actually do like NATE THE DRAKE, could be pretty hilarious.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
The only thing I'm worried about is if the writer can capture the characters properly. As for the actual plot, Uncharted follows a pretty basic formula of "Hunt for long-lost thing of value, stumble onto the trail of something mythological, beat the bad guys when you find it" and seems to be a believer in All Myths Are Real so this labyrinth story should fit in with the established universe fairly easily.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
H-uh.

Well, I've only read the Halo books, and they ended up being better than the game (although that's setting the bar low, predictable joke).

Maybe these will be half-decent.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I guess it's a good way to pass the time until Uncharted 3. I've never read any video game novel, but I've been interested in the Gears of War ones and Dead Space: Martyr.

Calendor1

Oct 22, 2008
Well, I tend to have to buy everything that comes out from a franchise I like, over any kind of media, so I'll buy this.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I'm a little skeptical, but I'll still probably end up buying it. I suppose that's what they're hoping fans will do.

I guess it's something to kill time till Uncharted 3.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Doesn't the main character of Uncharted have the personality of a moldy sack of cocks? I wouldn't want to read a book about him. Now, perhaps if the book is more about the setting it could be exciting, but I'm skeptical for now. I do kinda want to play the second game though, it sounded like some mild fun.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
I guess it's a good way to pass the time until Uncharted 3. I've never read any video game novel, but I've been interested in the Gears of War ones and Dead Space: Martyr.
Martyr isn't too bad of a read, particularly for a recent video game novelization.

This could be good, I've always liked the story in the Uncharted games. I might pick this up when it comes out.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I don't usually have high hopes for video game novels... but it's not Halo it's Uncharted... I don't know, maybe I'll look into it. If only just to give Naughtydog more money.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
dragonburner said:
the best part about uncharted is playing it
I'll gladly buy an Uncharted book, but this kinda rings true for me as well.

Incidentally, has anyone read the Cairo Jim books? I enjoyed them as a kid, and there was one about Cairo Jim finding the minotaur's labyrinthe, Cairo Jim and the Chaos from Crete. It's not extremely relevant, and I don't think it was published in the US, so the majority of people here probably wouldn't know it, but this just reminded me of those books. They were pretty good.