Uncontested Political Incorrectness in Games

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
We've all seen and heard the fuss about the apparent "racism" in games like Resident Evil 5, and heard of the Hot Coffee breach of all things decent, but have you noticed that a LOT of more offensive content doesn't get looked at twice? What's something that offended you/you knew people were going to get up in arms about, but no one actually did? Or, alternatively, politically incorrect stuff that you are NOT surprised no one ever talked about in negative context?

For me, even though the scene is a bit obscure, I'm amazed no major media freaked out at the baby-eating/abortion scene in Silent Hill 3. I'd say that it's because it's horror, but RE5 didn't get a break...

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I kind of understand people's beef with people constantly shooting themselves in the face in Persona 3. Although it really was quite awesome.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
I don't get offended by things in games. I get offended when people attack things in games or anything for that matter for being politically incorrect/offensive.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
It's only the big, popular, hyped titles that get the media's shit flung at them. RE5? Well, RE is one of the biggest series in the biz. GTA?

Well hell. GTA has been hated by the conservative media since the very first piece of concept art was released.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Red alert where you kill all the civilians (in the russian campaign) not graphic just really kinda wrong.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Resident evil is totally racist. It took them FIVE FUCKING GAMES to include african americans.
i agree. Wave after wave of white zombies, not a eyelid flickered. This went on for 4 games. In the fifth game there a black zombies, and now its racist[/I]. Im going to stop there as to avoid mod wrath.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Resident evil is totally racist. It took them FIVE FUCKING GAMES to include african americans.
Not true. Kenneth from STARS Bravo team was black. I'm fairly sure the Bravo Team leader Enrico was black in the original game as well though that appears to have changed since.

For clarification, Kenneth was in the first Resident Evil game, albeit only briefly.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
The more offensive and riddled with shock value, the larger the chance that I'll be rushing to the store to grab it. Unless it involves rape, I don't go there.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Guitarmasterx7 said:
I find the term African American to be racist. The friggen game takes place in Africa. These are Africans.

Besides using that terminology I don't see people running around calling white people from South Africa African Americans. I also never see people having a problem calling white people white. Nobody calls me a "Mexican American" probably cause I would either punch them in the face or tell them all about how I was born in Washington Friggen State and I am an AMERICAN.

The double standard is racist. If you are going to call people by their skin tone then call them all by their skin tone. If you are going to call them by nationality then call them by nationality.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Good grief, I didn't mean to start a flame war on the "racism" of RE5, I just want to hear your stories of uncontested political incorrectness...
sneakypenguin said:
Red alert where you kill all the civilians (in the russian campaign) not graphic just really kinda wrong.
He understands.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
BolognaBaloney said:
The more offensive and riddled with shock value, the larger the chance that I'll be rushing to the store to grab it. Unless it involves rape, I don't go there.
What about Silent Hill 2?

Still, it's probably that there are games more known outside the gaming community, such as Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil that will get more press than games that are unlikely to be known by non-gamers.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Plus the cutscenes suggest the Soviets are testing chemical weapons on civilians, including children.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Not in a game, but I thought there'd be more of an uproar over the Preda-alien raping/whatever the pregnant women and the later scenes of said women being burst open after the implied fetus-eating took place. I think it was probably the one thing that put me off the movie the most, among a few issues.

But I don't really know, to be honest, about the games. I find the forced political correctness to be a bit more annoying at times. When it feels like they HAVE to stick in a Black person, or they HAVE to someone who sounds Latino, or they HAVE to apparently give female characters huge breasts and/or revealing clothes.

...wait I'm not sure political correctness has anythuing to do with that last one. But it is certainly something that pisses me off time and again. Especially when the only girls without huge breasts are the underage girls, and even THEN sometimes they try...

Oh, and jiggle physics. I dunno, it just seems like the glorification of women should cause more of an uproar than it does, I suppose. I thought more people'd complain about the latest Soul Calibur where it felt like they've sacrificed everything else just to make Ivy's breasts bigger than her head.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
There's a "scene" in Garou:MOW where Butt (black karate guy) makes a comment about fried chicken. That's all I can think of, to be honest.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
manaman said:
I find the term African American to be racist. The friggen game takes place in Africa. These are Africans.

Besides using that terminology I don't see people running around calling white people from South Africa African Americans. I also never see people having a problem calling white people white. Nobody calls me a "Mexican American" probably cause I would either punch them in the face or tell them all about how I was born in Washington Friggen State and I am an AMERICAN.

The double standard is racist. If you are going to call people by their skin tone then call them all by their skin tone. If you are going to call them by nationality then call them by nationality.
I would like to point out, the argument was never "There are Africans in RE5! It's racist!", but most of the time it was "The way these Africans are depicted is racist." But I don't want to go down that spiral again, let's just move on.

OT: MadWorld is more violent than all the GTAs, "Murder Simulators", and Racism combined, I think that deserves it's own space in the "Controversial but not targeted" totem ;)