Unconventionally attractive characters in video games

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
kissthebottle said:
I kind of have a weird "crush" (not really since he's not real) on Garrus. But it's majorly in part to his personality so I'm not sure if that qualifies if you're strictly talking about in a physical way. But

^

Garrus is the best, I made my Shepard bi/hetero just for him.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Danbo Jambo said:
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
kissthebottle said:
You have no idea how much that re-design makes me want to vomit. They honestly should have stuck with the more 'shamanistic' approach they were going for with the original concept art, especially when the thing they actually went with looks so goddamn ridiculous. She went from an old lady to some sort of bad JRPG knock-off...
Totally agree. Dragon Age 2 is just an abomination of awful choices from tip to top, and Flemeth's "sexy" (bleeeuuurg) design embodies all that.

Who on earth thought that taking a "wicked old witch" older than God's mum, and turning her into a supposed object of lust was a good idea?
Agreed. And I was so pissed because it ruined what was so great about the character in the first place. She had this eerie feeling, like she was somewhere between being just too old and being insane. She looked old and fragile, but gave the impression of knowing so much more than you. And if you tried to cross her, that's when she dropped the facade things got real.

Considering the subtlety that she had before, the new design just made NO SENSE outside the dragon symbolism.

But considering the matter at hand, there is one other girl in Dragon Age that captured my eye...

I think it might be the tattoos, and the general badass attitude. I also have a thing for girls who are significantly shorter or taller than me.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Caroline Becker from Wolfenstein: The New Order.
And no, I'm not into kinky disabled stuff or anything.
Didn't you say you were an Eva fan?

-_-

I'm onto you.

OT: I already mentioned Naoto, but Chie's pretty attractive as well. I have a thing for tomboys, though, and short hair, so there's that. I hesitate to call her beauty "unconventional" though. She's a pretty popular character, so I wonder at what point unconventional becomes the new normal.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Winter Wyvern from Dota 2.

Don't judge me man, listen to her voice first and then you can call me names: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Winter_Wyvern_responses

Along the same line, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would find the Tristana visual update from League of Legends to be weirdly attractive.

Non-MOBA related, eh.... Maybe Willow from Don't Starve. Oh, and Mirage from Warframe. I love the whole harlequin thing she's got going on.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:

-_-

I'm onto you.
NGE has kinky disabled shit?!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011

Cuz I def. loves her. There's just something about characters who may or may not actually have faces that always catches my intrigue.
Also from the blazblue series, there's the robot dolls

and
Although that might be less "unconventionally attractive" and more "fetish" territory.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:

-_-

I'm onto you.
NGE has kinky disabled shit?!
That's all anyone seems to talk about when poor Rei gets brought up in a conversation. Never mind the subtle and complex characterization, or the themes. Apparently there's a disabled/wounded girl fetish, and Rei is evidently a fan favorite.

I don't get it, but hey, there's kink for everything. Don't tell Anno, though, he'd probably have an anurism.

Edit: there's also the opening to EoE, but... Well, the less said about that the better.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
That's all anyone seems to talk about when poor Rei gets brought up in a conversation. Never mind the subtle and complex characterization, or the themes. Apparently there's a disabled/wounded girl fetish, and Rei is evidently a fan favorite.

I don't get it, but hey, there's kink for everything. Don't tell Anno, though, he'd probably have an anurism.
I was thinking of bringing up the term 'guro', but that would imply I had ventured into online realms I obviously haven't. >.>

I do know there's a bit of a bandage fetish in Japan, like with the eye patch band aid, yet I'd never really connected it to Rei. Odd, I know know.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, the only one I can think of is Midna...

kissthebottle

Apr 5, 2015
Saetha said:
kissthebottle said:
Hey, no worries. He does have a pretty sexy voice. And I think Thane's pretty attractive, so... I mean, yeah, he's this weird fish man, but he also has a nice voice and his fringe thingy looks so... pettable. I don't know. Also A+ tailoring.

Really, considering Inquisition, I think BioWare just has a knack for making unconventially attractive dudes. Like yeah, yeah, Cullen and Dorian are hot (Dorian especially - damn son) but I still argue Solas is pretty attractive too. I know he's old and bald but... he has such pretty blue eyes. And a Welsh accent. How the hell am I supposed to resist that? Blackwall's not so bad either, on that point...

I eventually ended up with Cullen but, ugh, picking a romance in that game was so hard.
Dorian "Dat Ass" Pavus indeed. Whoever got paid to render his booty deserves a promotion. And yes, I also had a soft spot for Thane as well. Those big black eyes of his just bore into my sole.

I think the BioWare games, (Dragon Age especially for me) have such crushable characters, definitely in part to the voice acting and the writing which makes them feel "real" if you get yourself immersed in the games. Especially how they do the romances in Inquisition where they get rid of the visible "points" and shit. It's probably why I got a crush so bad for Cullen. Yes, the makeover and getting rid of his ramen hair was nice, but also because you get to see his ultra dorky/dweeby side. And I appreciate how he respects your Inquisitor as his boss but also his boo and is able to differentiate the two. And during my Solmance play through, I was surprised at how much he grew on me. It's like "ok, Egg, you can be kinda cute I guess."

But ultimately that game is like BabeQuisition for me.

kissthebottle

Apr 5, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
madwarper said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Who on earth thought that taking a "wicked old witch" older than God's mum, and turning her into a supposed object of lust was a good idea?
The same people that did the same thing to Samara in Mass Effect 2?
Yeah, but Samara started out milfy. She wasn't introduced to us as this crazy old lady living in a swamp, who was then suddenly made over into sexy old dragon woman.
But like...think about it. If you had all these insane and vast magical powers and were as old as time, wouldn't you also make yourself look insanely hot? Because, I would without thinking about it. I mean, have you seen her daughter? How you gonna compete with that. I don't think they made her THAAAT "lusty" aside from what she's wearing hugging her body and a little cleavage (and her boobs aren't even huge or anything). I obviously think her look in Origins was a ruse and once the shit hit the fan in that game and she was getting the hell outta dodge she didn't need to keep up the charade of being an old lady in a hut.

I mean, she's Mythal after all

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
kissthebottle said:
But like...think about it. If you had all these insane and vast magical powers and were as old as time, wouldn't you also make yourself look insanely hot? Because, I would without thinking about it. I mean, have you seen her daughter? How you gonna compete with that. I don't think they made her THAAAT "lusty" aside from what she's wearing hugging her body and a little cleavage (and her boobs aren't even huge or anything). I obviously think her look in Origins was a ruse and once the shit hit the fan in that game and she was getting the hell outta dodge she didn't need to keep up the charade of being an old lady in a hut.

I mean, she's Mythal after all
There's more to it than that... Flemeth in Origins didn't feel the need to show off -- She was so old and powerful that appearances held little meaning to her. Not that I'm that invested in the character, but whenever she was in the scene she gave off a strong vibe of being above such things as strutting around like a peacock.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I quite liked Avelene Vallen from Dragon Age 2. I know she was quite the masculine looking bird, but when it comes down to it - she's all woman and a total heroine and a one-woman army. I'll say one thing for the writers of Bioware, they sure know how to write characters.

Besides, if I were captured by bandits or some such, there's no-one else I'd want in my rescue party than her. (Or Brienne of Tarth, but she's in TV so it doesn't count on this thread.)

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
TravelerSF said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
kissthebottle said:
You have no idea how much that re-design makes me want to vomit. They honestly should have stuck with the more 'shamanistic' approach they were going for with the original concept art, especially when the thing they actually went with looks so goddamn ridiculous. She went from an old lady to some sort of bad JRPG knock-off...
Totally agree. Dragon Age 2 is just an abomination of awful choices from tip to top, and Flemeth's "sexy" (bleeeuuurg) design embodies all that.

Agreed. And I was so pissed because it ruined what was so great about the character in the first place. She had this eerie feeling, like she was somewhere between being just too old and being insane. She looked old and fragile, but gave the impression of knowing so much more than you. And if you tried to cross her, that's when she dropped the facade things got real.

Considering the subtlety that she had before, the new design just made NO SENSE outside the dragon symbolism.

But considering the matter at hand, there is one other girl in Dragon Age that captured my eye...

I think it might be the tattoos, and the general badass attitude. I also have a thing for girls who are significantly shorter or taller than me.
Boom! "Eeerie" and your entire description is bang on. Honestly, every single time that I analyze DA:2 in any single way I feel ill. It was THE utterly most dire butchery of a foundation ever. How on Earth ANY of the changes made got past the first screenings, never mind into the final product, is beyond me.

And how they decided to run with some of those thing for DA:I too is even more baffling.

People have insulted Bioware contsantly over recent years for their DA & Mass Effect fails, but I can't bring myself to do that. To have it all make sense I have to simply accept that not one person who works at Bioware from DA:2/ME2 onwards has ever actually played a video game in their entire lives. And that all of them of blind, deaf, dumb and devoid of emotion.

It's the only explanation for such outstandingly high levels of uselessness, and for creating such awful sequels.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Lazy Kitty said:

29 post till Midna.

Pretty good for a site that posts ME characters and animu.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
I think Hanako from Katawa Shoujo fits here, I doubt anyone has a thing for girls with terribly permascarred faces but I think she's pretty cute in her own way. It's hard to describe, she's not even drawn in a way that goes easy on the scars for more conventional appeal at any point in the game. The game is always on the mark with the point that a disability is only a single part of a person in that way.

How KS was made by a bunch of randoms on 4chan I will never understand.
Almost all the girls with physical disabilities that show are cute in their own way in Kawata Shojo, but Hanako is by far the most adorable. Not to mention that she's also a very sweet character once you get closer to her, and that her past is so tear inducing and tragic. There is no way not to love her.

Most of the races from Mass Effect are attractive in their own ways, except the Batarians, Vorcha, Yahg, and Collectors... Though the Asari tend to be traditionally attractive... Still Wrex is lovely in his own gruff way, Tali is about the sweetest character in Mass Effect, Garrus is of course a stud muffin, Thane is just one of the most Suave Guys, and Mordin's got it where it counts. I mean in the brain department, you pervs!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Chun Li.

Look at those things, they are lethal weapons. She's beefy, muscular and intimidating in the cutest way possible, and yet the fandom love her for it.

Or they just have the same fetishes for thunderthighs that the character designer has admitted to having - either way everything's cool and Chun Li is a babe.

Popido said:
Lazy Kitty said:

29 post till Midna.

Pretty good for a site that posts ME characters and animu.
This is also important and true.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
well, the big one for me is of course Tali.
I wasn't a fan of any of the DA:O romances for a straight male, but DAII was a MILLION times better in that regard: merril was adorable as well as kinda crazy, and Isabella...surprised me.
I wasn't gonna list her since she couldn't BE more stereotypically attractive, but then I thought about it and realised I theres nothing I find less attractive than her "I could not be more shallow fanservice" thing. but once you stick with it for a while, shes actually pretty adorkable and lovely

non-bioware games...the love interest from ratchet and clank 3 was adorable

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
EyeReaper said:

Cuz I def. loves her. There's just something about characters who may or may not actually have faces that always catches my intrigue.
Also from the blazblue series, there's the robot dolls

and
Although that might be less "unconventionally attractive" and more "fetish" territory.
So, would that also include Tsubaki when she has her face-concealing mask on?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Alex Vance from Half-Life 2. I'm not usually attracted to tomboy, or short hair, or a super slim figure, but if she were real and I were single, I'd want her to be my girlfriend.