Uncut Anime Coming to a Major Game Console

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Uncut Anime Coming to a Major Game Console

Anime distributor, Viz, is launching a 24-Hour Anime TV service for an undisclosed major console.

This fall, Viz will be launching a 24-hour anime service called "Neon Alley" on one of the major game consoles. A US$6.99 per month subscription to the service - assuming you live in Canada or the US - will net you uncut, dubbed and HD (where available) anime shows and movies, as well as original content in the form of news and behind-the-scenes footage.

The service will play host to the English dub premieres of Tiger & Bunny, Inuyasha: The Final Act, Zetman, Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne and new episodes of endless, shonen punch-festival, Naruto Shippūden. It will also air movies, including Berserk: The Golden Age Arc trilogy.

Brian Ige, Viz's Media Vice President of Animation, described the service as somewhat akin to Hulu Plus - IE: it'll still have ads despite being a subscription service. It'll work like a traditional channel, rather than an on-demand service.

Anime distribution companies have been finding it difficult to monetize the content they license, despite an eruption of western interest in the medium over the past two decades. Exceptionally high product costs coupled with slow releases, have given rise to a massive, fan-driven translation community - a community anime distributors are now having to compete against.

Hopefully this new service, alongside streaming services such as Crunchyroll, will provide a happy medium for anime fans who don't want to pirate shows or pay $40 per DVD.

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-27/viz-to-launch-24-hour-anime-service-on-major-game-console]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds interesting, it'll come down to the quality of the translation and the amount of quality shows to decide whether or not this service will be worth it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This sounds like a 360 thing to me. Something like would have probably happened in Japan first if it were the PS3 and MS have been all over this console/TV thing of late

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
"it'll still have ads despite being a subscription service. It'll work like a traditional channel, rather than an on-demand " No no no no. Just make it a TV channel if you're going to do that.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Gee i wonder which console that will be.

It's obviously not going to be the xbox, it's ever done too well over there. Probably won't be Nintendo, the percentage of people who still actually use their Wii and aren't under 15 or over 40 has got to be in the single digits.

So yeah, I wonder which one. So mysterious.

On a more serious note, even if I was interested in paying for this, I'd have to wait to see if the voice acting and translation weren't garbage, as they often are.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
there is tons of good anime out there to build an anime service on but that list of shows common.

inyuasha is one of the all time weakest animes ever made and up there near the most annoying.

shippuden would be good if they cut out all the filler in it but its been forever since i could stand to sit down and watch the series with all the extra junk they pile in.

get some fullmetal alchemist, code geass, cowboy bebob, darker than black, toss in some gundam good mecha series, a few others and then you got something.

really hope they got more going on than that and maybe this talking head is tossing out shows he thinks is popular because they were on cartoon network.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I'm interested but it ultimately comes down to the quality and selection... assuming it'll even be available outside the US[footnote]Don't quote me, don't quote me, don't quote me[/footnote]. It's a little frustrating how often something is offered within the US but not within Canada[footnote]Read above[/footnote], or even when the content available within a service varies greatly between the two. Netflix comes to mind... bloody Netflix.

Anime isn't cheap or easily available within Canada, so fingers crossed!

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well out with this Toonami fandom.
This seems prety cool I would pay for it.
O wait I live in australia I'm still waiting for some sort of tv anime...
Damn

Celi

Jun 23, 2012
zombiesinc said:
I'm interested but it ultimately comes down to the quality and selection... assuming it'll even be available outside the US. It's a little frustrating how often something is offered within the US but not within Canada, or even when the content available within a service varies greatly between the two. Netflix comes to mind... bloody Netflix.

Anime isn't cheap or easily available within Canada, so fingers crossed!
The article said:
A US$6.99 per month subscription to the service - assuming you live in Canada or the US - will net you uncut, dubbed and HD (where available) anime shows and movies, as well as original content in the form of news and behind-the-scenes footage.
Good for Canada.

I can't fathom why they would make it like a traditional channel rather than an on-demand service. Don't we already have TV for that?

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Celi said:
I did read that, but until it's officially announced, I'm gonna assume it'll be similar to most services offered in NA, where it's strictly a US service. Or (nearly) worse, when it's available within both countries, but with vastly differing selection/content available. So, I suppose I just don't want to allow myself to believe the article, at least not yet.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
cerebus23 said:
there is tons of good anime out there to build an anime service on but that list of shows common.

get some fullmetal alchemist, code geass, cowboy bebob, darker than black, toss in some gundam good mecha series, a few others and then you got something.

really hope they got more going on than that and maybe this talking head is tossing out shows he thinks is popular because they were on cartoon network.
Viz don't own the rights to any of the shows that you've recommended, but it is possible that they could work out a partnership deal with Funimation and Bandai to get those shows on their service.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Pfft! Big whoop! I can find anime in most corners of the internet rather easily these days so i fail to see any need to use this servi-

Grey Carter said:
It will also air movies, including Berserk: The Golden Age Arc trilogy.
Screw my previous statement, I'm in!

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Wish the UK would get this, there is no legal way to watch anime here unless you buy a DVD/Bluray which can get very pricey.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Is it just me, or does this sound much, much, much worse than crunchyroll? I know not everyone likes Subs, but still.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
At first I was like: "Crap it's only in North America!"
Then I was like: "Oh, it's dubbed....I'm alright then."

I'm sure there are some good dubs out there. I just have yet to find one.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Also?

>it'll still have ads despite being a subscription service

Why does anything work this way?!

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
At first I was excited and then I saw the word "dubbed." Frack that. I have only ever run into one good dub (Hellsing) and the rest are at their best merely tolerable. It's the same reason that anime on Netflix sucks balls. No subs available, have to listen to the mediocre english VAs.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Loop Stricken said:
Also?

>it'll still have ads despite being a subscription service

Why does anything work this way?!
So they can make more money Because some people are money hungry assholes :/

OT: It'll be hard to sell something in a country that's been pirating and otherwise viewing the content for free for years and years. It's like trying to sell milk to a farmer.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
I was originally interested, but dubs? No thanks. Had there been an option to view it in Japanese with subtitles, I might've changed my opinion.