Under what circumstances would you become a Mercenary?

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Blegh, never. It's basically the army without the guise of nationalism, self defense and patriotism to excuse their killing.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Making me become a mercenary wouldn't be hard. I know it's not glamorous, but damn is it badass. I don't think I could ever be one of those tough, grizzled mercs you see in games, though. I'd end up being a tongue-in-cheek mercenary like The A-Team.

In fact, my friends and I dreamed up a scenario in which we dropped out of high school to become bounty hunters after Osama Bin Laden.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jedoro said:
You make this sound hypothetical, when it's actually my plan. I'm gonna go into armed security once I hit 21, get enough experience there for a private military company to hire me, and done.

Or, if I knew for sure that there was a Far Cry 2 situation (i.e. people sitting in a bar waiting to get hired) then I'd be out there once I had the money for a gun and plane ticket.
what about Morality issues? Is it possible you may have to go out and do somthing your not okay with?

I guess though thease days (I dont know much about world affiars) its not that different from the regular army morality wise

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Me and my friend talked about this.
Guns, Money and drugs.
Though we'd also like to start an off-world mining firm. And be interplanetary bounty hunters. We're fairly simple to please. We also wouldn't mind risking our lives to destroy a meteor to save the earth Armageddon style.

Anything to do with space really. And after that massive derailing, I'd like to return with, we'd do it for the guns and money, the circumstances wouldn't have to be too different, we'd just need to be a tad drunk to sign up.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
The day they offer to cure my Severe Haemophilia A, and cure my Elbow and Ankle Arthritis. Then I'd become one.

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
First I would have to receive top rate sniper training in which I learn to kill someone with 1-2 shots from over half a mile away.

Second they I would have to deem the target a menace to society and better off dead for everyone.

The price would most likely be determined on how much I disliked the person I was sent to kill, the location, and difficulty of kill. Half up front half after confirmed kill travel and weapon expenses on employer.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Vault101 said:
Jedoro said:
You make this sound hypothetical, when it's actually my plan. I'm gonna go into armed security once I hit 21, get enough experience there for a private military company to hire me, and done.

Or, if I knew for sure that there was a Far Cry 2 situation (i.e. people sitting in a bar waiting to get hired) then I'd be out there once I had the money for a gun and plane ticket.
what about Morality issues? Is it possible you may have to go out and do somthing your not okay with?

I guess though thease days (I dont know much about world affiars) its not that different from the regular army morality wise
Of course it's possible, but it can also happen in the military. Great thing about the private sector is if you don't sign a contract with a predetermined amount of time, you can just quit your job if you don't like it.

The armed forces aren't full of highly moral patriots, by the way. A good number are just there for a steady job, some are gangsters who want to take military training back to their gang, and some are in gangs within the military. I'll at least be honest and admit I'll go fight for the paycheck, not wave a flag around and make it look like that's why I'm out there.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Zyst said:
And looting is generally not done in organized Mercenary forces; Usually you are working for a government so it looks pretty bad for that country if you are burning your way across the country side raping and pillaging as you go. Still, fair answer.
I wouldn't say that Mercs usually work for governments, but yes, looting etc. is bad. Looting and random violence is usually the difference between thugs (see also Zimbabwe, Venezuela, and a recent appearance in Egypt) and professionals. The whole idea of being a Mercenary is to live long enough to get paid a bonus when the job is over. I'd be willing to do it without too much coaxing. However, I wouldn't be interested in working for the 'Security Guard' company like Blackwater.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I'd have to be pretty damn poor. In fact, I'd have to be literally STARVING before I joined a mercenary company. There would have to be NO OTHER JOBS ON THE PLANET before I joined - it would literally be a last resort sort of thing. I don't like mercenaries. Fighting for money is not a good thing. Blood should only be shed over two things: Values or Survival. To kill for any other reason makes you a thug. A well trained, well armed, special-forces thug, but a thug's a thug.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
IBlackKiteI said:
MisterDyslexo said:
Mercenaries are perhaps the greatest scum to exist.
Congratulations. You've effectively insulted every military serviceman ever.
Not that I necessarily agree with your post, it's just that every government soldier is essentially a mercenary when you think about it.
No, mercenaries are defined as being distinct from military personnel, and are expressly forbidden by UN conventions.

PMC are kinda sorta the same thing, close enough for complaints to be raised, but different enough to avoid legal issues. The grey area they are in has been the subject of alot of criticism of the current laws regarding mercenaries.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If I had absolutely no other employment options.

Otherwise, fuck mercenaries. A highly trained and well paid thug-for-hire is still a thug-for-hire.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i wouldnt like to be a mercenary.
unless black market assassin falls under that category. then, if i get sent to prison. people will see me as a lawbreaker, so i'll break laws.

Amplify

Aug 31, 2008
I'd become a mercenary if I was part of a crack commando unit that got sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit.

(Why has nobody made this joke yet??) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM]

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I have 4 conditions:

1. I get a HELLUVA lot of money for this(Considering I'm likely going to be taking lives, i'm gonna have to be paid alot..i don't kill people unless theres a damn good price or if the person is so immoral and reprehensible that killing them will be of most benefit)

2. I actually get some proper official training in combat from a military veteran, preferably special ops.

3. Supply me some decent weapons and equipment before each mission

4. KIDS. ARE. OFF. LIMITS. I don't care if it's to demoralize an enemy, or if the kids the anti-christ..ask me to kill/harm a kid and you'll be the one they find dead in a dustbin. Same goes for pregnant women (Just cause I'm a mercenary, doesn't mean i can't have some moral code).

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
"Here's a list of the games I want, the one you can only get on Steam can be sent to the email address at the top of the list."