Underage Sexual Assault Victim Faces Jail Time...For Tweeting the Names of Her Attackers (UPDATED)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
And why the FUCK not? They raped her, everybody knows she was raped and she had to go through the pain of testifying in court.
Just want to point out that plea bargains happen before a case goes to court, cases go to court if the defendants are pleading not guilty, so she didn't testify in court.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
she should have the freedom of speech to talk about what happened to her. its not hearsay, she was there. if they feel she is lying, their remedy is to sue her for defamation - in which case she'll have the defense that what she says is true.

as to their agreement w/the gov't, i can see the gov't agreeing, in return for a plea, to keep the record sealed. but the gov't has no business telling her that she can't talk about something that happened to her. They can agree that they won't talk about it, via the defendants' records, or other means, but they have no place agreeing to what she will or will not say, that's for her to decide. (now if she agrees to it herself for some reason then later she violates that agreement that'd be a different story). But they have no place agreeing in her stead - what she will or will not talk about in the future (so long as it the truth), that's just ridiculous.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
they should argue that they are sex offenders and as such their identities are now REQUIRED to be publicly known. if you havent guessed yet i dont give a dam that these two boys are now known for the scum they are.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rednog said:
DVS BSTrD said:
And why the FUCK not? They raped her, everybody knows she was raped and she had to go through the pain of testifying in court.
Just want to point out that plea bargains happen before a case goes to court, cases go to court if the defendants are pleading not guilty, so she didn't testify in court.
Not necessarily, as you can generally opt for a deal up until sentencing if both sides become willing to play ball.

A plea can be changed even in court, pending a judge's approval.

Suki_ said:
No its nothing like that at all. As part of the privacy act you are not really allowed to release the names of minors who have been charged in crimes.
Which does not require you to be silent about the crime itself, which this girl was ordered to do. Also, I'm not sure what country you're from, but the US law known as the "Privacy Act" doesn't do this. Perhaps you mean a different law?

Finally, I'm not sure why people are calling her names and such for this. She knows there are consequences, and has openly stated that she is fighting for her rights despite those consequences. "Oh hurr hurr she is stupid for breaking the law!"

Yeah, kinda like all those other "stupid" lawbreakers. Lousy Civil rights activists. Couldn't they just have obeyed the law and be treated like animals? GOD.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ecoho said:
they should argue that they are sex offenders and as such their identities are now REQUIRED to be publicly known. if you havent guessed yet i dont give a dam that these two boys are now known for the scum they are.
Sex offender registries vary by locale. I have no clue what KY's is, but there's a decent chance they don't have to register if they're being treated to privacy in the first place.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
This is absolutely disgusting. I hope this doesn't stand, but I don't have any faith in the justice system anymore.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
She really should have just obeyed the court order in my opinion.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys"
No they weren't; they were infringed upon. That's what the point of going to court was, to punish the people who infringed upon your rights. You still have your rights. It's not like you get sexually assaulted once and now you can be publicly molested by anyone at any time with no legal recourse.

All this being said, I really hope the two guys face harsh punishment and get put on a sex offender list. That kind of behaviour is extremely detestable.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
They made a plea deal, which I don't understand. They had pictures of their crime how did they get a plea deal? This was an open and shut case.

That noted she is in the wrong. Its a court order which she broke. Welcome to law, just because you weren't one to step in shit doesn't mean you can't stir it up.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I think Picard said it best. When the law is absolute, there can be no justice.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
As far as i know if a court keeps a defendants name confidential then exposing those names is a contempt of court... or something.

Sexual harassment isnt nice, but it doesnt give you leave to disobey the rules.

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
Renegade Shepard said:
See, this is why I prefer being in space.

There isn't a bullshit justice system, it's just survival of the fittest.
That does mean that they could have gotten away with raping her if they killed her.

This whole thing stinks. These boys should be punished but due process is there for a reason.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Rednog said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Fine but as I said, HER name wasn't kept anonymous and all keeping THEIR names secret does is let them hurt more girls.
Considering she's a minor, her name was kept anonymous. She decided to have it otherwise.

OT: Yeah, she violated a court order. I'd be more inclined to care that she did if the justice system did a better job handling rape cases, but they suck at it. It's sad and pathetic that her public shaming of those involved will probably be more effective than the pittance of punishment the court will levy against them.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
ecoho said:
Sex offender registries vary by locale. I have no clue what KY's is, but there's a decent chance they don't have to register if they're being treated to privacy in the first place.
true but at this point public backlash is gonna be such that theyll have it as a requirment by the end of the year.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Are people assuming that sexual assault means rape?

What did the boys actually do, that should result in their lives being completely ruined?

I'm not condoning anything, but there is a big difference between taking pictures and gang rape - their crime obviously falls somewhere inbetween. People have an amazing memory for names when sexual assault is involved, maybe it made more sense, in a court of law, for their identity to be withheld.

Not enough facts, too many assumptions here I think.