Undertale is one of the best games I have ever played.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I am not the kind of person to evangelize a game. But Undertale is an absolutely amazing game. The best game I've played in a LONG time.

It's hard to really explain why it's so good. The characters and story writing is excellent. The game play is fun and imaginative. The game gives me that kind of can't stop playing that a truly great book does.

It makes all choices matter from killing an important character to walking past a minor NPC without talking to them. I've beat the game 5 times now just to see different things and different endings.

I really, REALLY, think everyone should play this game. It's had a profound effect on me that I Haven't had sense I played Earthbound when I was 12.

Here's the steam page if you are interested,
http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

Anarchdovey

Sep 30, 2015
its highest rated pc game of alltime on metacritic right now. i'm really interested in this game and need to buy it

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Try the official site instead for a non-drm version.
http://undertale.com/

And yes it's pretty good.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
theglasscannon said:
Thanks for the recommendation. How long does it roughly take to complete?
About 3-8 hours. Probably averaging around 5. It's made for replays, I have about 20 hours in it.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Must... get over... graphics...
Damnit I'm too used to these triple-A games, I'll give it a shot next time it goes on sale.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, it looks like very unique. What really made me interested is that it actually has some fun simple game play elements instead of the usual guy shoots ice beam, but misses.

Also like the simple style, funky music, that some dialogue is kind of fun and of course, how it screws with us.

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
LetalisK said:
It says killing is unecessary. But what if I want to commit genocide?
You can definitely do that, but don't think you'll be above the consequences. You'll end up having a bad time. Killing everything is not recommended for your first playthrough(But it does add some backstory on certain characters if you're a completionist).

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Honestly, the game is very good, but I didn't get into it as much as a lot of other people. I enjoyed its sense of humor and storyline, but there were only a few moments in either playthrough that just completely blew me away, whereas the rest sort of felt like a grind. Either way, amazingly ambitious project that really succeeds at what it sets out to do. I do look forward to reading about all the new secrets that people uncover.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
LetalisK said:
It says killing is unecessary. But what if I want to commit genocide?
That's pretty much a fully realized alternate story path with a vastly different tone and progression.
It is also literally a genocide, you can keep systematically farming random encounters until none appear and doing so before moving on to the next boss is required or else it'll turn around into a "neutral" run.
So you need to be very deliberate about it but that is on purpose so people can't accidentally do it while they learn how the game works.

You should play through it as a pacifist to see how things go normally in order to fully... "appreciate" it though.

The game won't really keep you from doing it on your first go (and god help you if you do) but is pretty much established from the beginning that killing things is really not what you're supposed to do, there are no "moral choices" here, no "renegade vs paragon".
There are no shiny toys you can kill with that you may never use like in some stealth games, the battles are not any less engaging if you solve tiny dialogue puzzles rather than attacking and if anything, figuring out how to spare some bosses is half the fun and the game is perfectly beatable and fair at lv 1.

This is not a game about grey morality. Killing is heavily discouraged.

But you can still choose not to play along.

Daft Ada

Sep 9, 2014
Eric the Orange said:
I am not the kind of person to evangelize a game. But Undertale is an absolutely amazing game. The best game I've played in a LONG time.

It's hard to really explain why it's so good. The characters and story writing is excellent. The game play is fun and imaginative. The game gives me that kind of can't stop playing that a truly great book does.

It makes all choices matter from killing an important character to walking past a minor NPC without talking to them. I've beat the game 5 times now just to see different things and different endings.

I really, REALLY, think everyone should play this game. It's had a profound effect on me that I Haven't had sense I played Earthbound when I was 12.

Here's the steam page if you are interested,
http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
This wasn't even on my radar until now, thanks for the recommendation!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Jim Sterling did a 30 minute video on the game here:
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHjQymYy8EM[/link]

I'm on the fence about this title for a few reasons:

1) I've heard games get 10/10 Game of the Year level mass praise in the past only to find that they were mediocre to bad experiences for me. (Shovel Knight, Dragon Age Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto 4)

2) Jim's 30 minute playthrough accounts for about 1/10th of the entire game and comes off as rather boring. The story and characters failed to hook me in this time frame. The combat is novel with the ability to friend people and a little bullet hell added in. This makes the game interesting to be sure but it's not a game selling feature especially with the sheer number of random encounters faced turning it into a grind. Finally the few puzzles that were shown off didn't strike me as anything special. Worse yet they just ensured you'd be forced to face a LOT more random encounters.

I'm a fan of classic FF games but this game doesn't promote RPG elements that makes grinding monster battles over and over tolerable. There's no equipment, skills, classes, or stats to manage. It's just a question of if you decide to kill or befriend.

I acknowledge that Jim made his video deliberately spoiler free. But given my initial impressions do you genuinely think I'll still love this game? Or is it a case that if that initial video didn't remotely sell me then I probably won't enjoy the game?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Bought it recently and have played a bit of it. It is certainly quite good and charming as shit. Not sure if I am ready to call it "one of the best games I have ever played" yet, but apparently it gets more and more interesting as you play, so I plan to see it through to the end (helps that it is short XD).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
babinro said:
I acknowledge that Jim made his video deliberately spoiler free. But given my initial impressions do you genuinely think I'll still love this game? Or is it a case that if that initial video didn't remotely sell me then I probably won't enjoy the game?
Jims video made it look like a mediocre rpgmaker game and he never elaborated or showed why he likes it (which is kinda hard to do).

Let's just say if you go into it with the expectation that "grinding monster battles will be tedious", the game has already played you.
If you play rpgs for the story more than the skinner box and like nerdy things, having fun and constantly finding new little secrets and tidbits even after multiple playthroughs (SO MANY WAYS THE GAME REACTS TO YOU), the odds are in favor of you ending up liking this.

Here's an example, you can call toriel at the start of the game and if you first call her "mom" and then flirt with her, she'll react to it.
It'll also have an effect on something else later on in the most hilariously awkward way possible.

You can wait in the room where she tells you to wait and you'll get a reaction out of it that also alters future dialogue.

Some more minor ones:
How you treat the dummy in the starting area has an effect later on.
Flowey will get annoyed if you keep dodging his "friendliness pellets" in the "tutorial" and later you can do a similar thing to piss him off even further... followed by something else to squeeze even more dialogue out of him.

If you die to a certain boss over and over, it'll eventually be tired of your shenanigans and let you skip the battle to become your friend who you can then call to get multiple versions of dialogue for almost every single room in the game, depending on context.

Some enemies can be interacted with even if they are already "pacifist defeated", if you keep petting a dog it gets more and more excited which has an effect later on, if you keep humming to a certain enemy, you'll suddenly throw concert until the fame gets to you and that'll effect another random battle later on.

Some random encounter enemies will appear on- or disappear from the overworld if you treat them a certain way.

It's filled to the brim with little and sometimes not so little things like that.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I love the game as well, but it does have 2 problems I see brought up often.

1. It's hard to really get into the game without spoiling a bit for yourself. I probably wouldn't have gotten into it if I only saw the RUINS. I had to watch about 2 hours in (after the first real boss fight) to really get sold on the game.
If you really want to check out the game and don't care TOO heavily about spoilers, watch Vinesauce's part 1 of Undertale, he does a great job of showing the first parts of the game to its fullest.

2. The game definitely slows down a bit when you're in Hotlands. It's probably because it's one of the least aesthetically pleasing areas of the game. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Hotlands at all, but it definitely was the low point of the game.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Dungeons and Dragons features thrill and wealth-seeking "adventurers" exterminating and stealing from creatures already pushed to the fringes of the world by the dominant humanoid society. Undertale demystifies and humanizes the victims - putting the focus on their disintegrated, desperate, and tragic world as a generic "1980s white Western kid" explores what's left of their lives. While a traditional RPG features the psychological reality of a dominator viewing his victims as terrible creatures who deserve to die (and have all of their wealth transferred to him, as payment for the trouble he's gone through, and in order to "level him up" to achieve whatever personal ambition he desires), Undertale appreciates the reality that the people outside of mainstream society are the most colorful, personal, and humane, since the very act of being marginalized makes them no longer beholden to imperial or corporate interests, allowing them to be... human, for the first time in their lives. When they become human they become strange, resulting in the varied and wonderful creatures depicted in the game.

So while Dragon Age has "kills" as a triumphant scorecard (the same way a womanizer treats "lays", a pride in conquest), proof of the cleansing of the world, making it safe for the hegemony of the dominant society to continue unabated, in the same way as a drug dealer might "cleanse" a section of the city of a rival dealer, in Undertale the kills statistic feels like a personal failure of the player - since the victims aren't treated as savage monsters whose only value is as a corpse the kills feel more like what they actually are in reality when one kills a marginalized person - the murder of a human being. I find myself worrying that my weapon does *too much* damage, which increases the risk of accidental murders. Ask a player of World of Warcraft or Dragon Age whether his weapon does too much damage and he'll assume you're a lunatic. He won't even comprehend the basis of the question - obviously weapons can't possibly do too much damage because the only value of the things the weapons strike is the transferring of that thing from living to dead and the resultant gain in power to the murderer. Err, rather, the "hero", to use the hegemonic term.

We, as players, know that our main character is immortal within the game world, due to the reload function. We also understand that for the fiction we are experiencing to work in the way it's intended, the "monsters" we face understand *themselves* as mortal - they think they are existing in reality, are flesh and blood, and have only one life. So while our own murder of them is trivial - they exist in our reality as mere code which we can efficiently bypass to continue the narrative and "hero's journey" of the game, to them their fight with us is a life-or-death struggle for survival. The usual way to treat THEIR CONCEPT OF THEMSELVES AND THEIR OWN REALITY is to utterly disregard it - obviously they are mere tools of our own enjoyment - we're the ones the game is made for, not them, and as such their view of themselves merely serves to maximize our own enjoyment - it helps the narrative that they believe they exist, and their desperation to fight off an immortal, super-powerful enemy merely makes the trivial bypassing of them more "real".

This creates an interesting and disturbing and ridiculous dilemma. The "monsters" who only exist to "service" the main character through loot and XP are the ones who believe in the reality of the game, while we, who see the "truth", appreciate it's triviality and thus the triviality of everything that occurs within it, including genocide. The main character, who flits through the world as a conduit for the player to gain new knowledge through exploring this artistic construction and who treats all entities only in terms of their effect on his own exploration is completely unreal within the fiction of the game - the same way such a creature in our own world would be uncomprehended by us. We would be slaughtered, or not, or whatever, by a creature who disregards our own conception of ourselves in favor of "the truth". Our terror at encountering him would be great and our only relief would be had when he tired of us and moved on to bother another world.

When we're playing a game it frequently feels like we're not really a part of the world - the *monsters* are the world, we're just visiting, and in 20 hours we'll be done visiting and move on to another artistic construction, while the code, the monsters, will STILL BE THERE.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Eh, a RPG with bullet hell that makes punishment of a commonality of the genre and how ludicrous and vile it is when applied to a world of consequence...except you usually don't do this in a world of context so I can only really feel it's pointing to how something is in a fictional space and how'd be bad if you did it for reals which I already know. Musics nice though, the fucking sound effects however less so as each character gets their own sound effect when they talk, and god some of them are annoying. It in fact makes me want to kill them, not sure if that's intentional by the game or happy coincidence.