Undertale is one of the best games I have ever played.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
slo said:
It is still a game telling a kid character to never defend or fight back and play nice when assaulted. The very idea sounds very creepy to me.
Maybe that why wanted to visit the Legendary Underground. Because he thought he/she doesn't act like a normal child. I mean, the first enemy he/she can flirt is a Jello Monster. And it seems his/her insanity is 100% ok fighting a Deer with Horizontal mouth.
Maybe that why also

Chara hate humanity as well. Cause he/she is different

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
slo said:
It is still a game telling a kid character to never defend or fight back and play nice when assaulted. The very idea sounds very creepy to me.
I agree. We should get kids to play old school RPGs, were the game tells you to kill random people for gold and experience, search for interesting animals and set them on fire, and you're encouraged to wander into other peoples homes and help yourself to their stuff.

On a personal note, I wish I could play this game, I really do. I bought it on sale, booted it up, and went through deciding I was going go the goodie route first. Went through the earliest training stage using only the 'act' commands, no violence. Get to the first boss fight...

Tried to talk my way out of fighting Toriel. The game flat out tells me 'Talking isn't going to work.' Fine, game, guess I have to hurt her a bit first? So I fight her, get her down a bit... only for an 'auto' crit to kill her. Damn. Reload, try again. 'Auto' crit kill. Fuck. Try talking again, game tells me 5 times in a row talking wont work. Alternate between talking and attacking every single turn. 'Auto' crit kill. Frustrated and I feel like throwing my controller across the room. Resort to google, find out that apparently, I'm supposed to ignore everything the game tells me and just hammer talk for half an hour or something to get through, but its too late now, because the game knows I've killed her even if I've reloaded.

After that, done. Nope. Simply not worth it at this point, as on a conceptual level I'm fucking pissed.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
slo said:
I agree. We should get kids to play old school RPGs, were the game tells you to kill random people for gold and experience, search for interesting animals and set them on fire, and you're encouraged to wander into other peoples homes and help yourself to their stuff.

On a personal note, I wish I could play this game, I really do. I bought it on sale, booted it up, and went through deciding I was going go the goodie route first. Went through the earliest training stage using only the 'act' commands, no violence. Get to the first boss fight...

Tried to talk my way out of fighting Toriel. The game flat out tells me 'Talking isn't going to work.' Fine, game, guess I have to hurt her a bit first? So I fight her, get her down a bit... only for an 'auto' crit to kill her. Damn. Reload, try again. 'Auto' crit kill. Fuck. Try talking again, game tells me 5 times in a row talking wont work. Alternate between talking and attacking every single turn. 'Auto' crit kill. Frustrated and I feel like throwing my controller across the room. Resort to google, find out that apparently, I'm supposed to ignore everything the game tells me and just hammer talk for half an hour or something to get through, but its too late now, because the game knows I've killed her even if I've reloaded.

After that, done. Nope. Simply not worth it at this point, as on a conceptual level I'm fucking pissed.
Actions (or lack there of) speak louder then words.

And don't worry about it. 90% of people probably do the same thing. It's all part of the game.
The game may not forget, but it does forgive.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
AccursedTheory said:

Um, you aren't supposed to 'talk', you are supposed to 'spare' in the mercy menu. It doesn't really take that long.

That got me too though, that frog that tells you to weaken enemies to spare them is a total jerk. There is one fight in the entire game that you have to even touch the attack button.

Killing Toriel and reloading doesn't really have an effect on your game beyond Flowey accusing you of save scumming, but if it really matters that much to you just go into user\appdata\local and delete UNDERTALE, that should give you a fresh save at this point.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
AccursedTheory said:

Um, you aren't supposed to 'talk', you are supposed to 'spare' in the mercy menu. It doesn't really take that long.

That got me too though, that frog that tells you to weaken enemies to spare them is a total jerk. There is one fight in the entire game that you have to even touch the attack button.

Killing Toriel and reloading doesn't really have an effect on your game beyond Flowey accusing you of save scumming, but if it really matters that much to you just go into user\appdata\local and delete UNDERTALE, that should give you a fresh save at this point.
It doesn't really matter at this point, because...

-The game forced me to use google on the first boss fight
-The game lied about the rules, which is saying something when the rules are so simplistic
-Forces a complete restart unless you want the game judging you, because yes, that was the best part of Animal Crossing and at no point became frustrating
-Can't even look at the game without getting angry

I'll defer to the people who actually played it and assume its a good game. But I'm not touching it again. Even if it didn't make me angry, I'm not going to play a game when there's a little voice in the back of my head saying 'Are you sure? The game lies you know.'

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
AccursedTheory said:
It doesn't really matter at this point, because...

-The game forced me to use google on the first boss fight
-The game lied about the rules, which is saying something when the rules are so simplistic
-Forces a complete restart unless you want the game judging you, because yes, that was the best part of Animal Crossing and at no point became frustrating
-Can't even look at the game without getting angry

I'll defer to the people who actually played it and assume its a good game. But I'm not touching it again. Even if it didn't make me angry, I'm not going to play a game when there's a little voice in the back of my head saying 'Are you sure? The game lies you know.'
-Well you don't have to spare Toriel, the pacifist ending should be more difficult to get than the neutral ending.
-I don't think the game lied, sure one frog says to lower the health to spare enemies (this does work on random encounter enemies) but another frog says that someday you may need to spare an enemy even if their name isn't yellow, this is a hint for Toriel.
-Honestly the game doesn't judge you very harshly for killing Toriel even if you don't reload your save to spare her, the game only judges you harshly for killing a select few who really don't deserve to die. This makes sense because most times you kill are in self defence, Toriel included. And you will still get pacifist ending if you just reload to a save before killing her or if you choose reset from the game menu.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
slo said:
AccursedTheory said:
slo said:
Absolutely totally nice strawman! You're awesome!

Still, my copy of Undertale: Vivid Imagination Edition feels too creepy to play.
You don't want to see this picture.
No you don't.
Okay. Feels like this to me:
At least you got the 'feels' part right.

And I'm sorry you feel like I'm straw manning you. Perhaps this is more accurate for you.

An imagining of a game that is technically accurate, but says far more about the mindset and fears of the people describing the game then the people who made it, or the perception of 99.9% of the people who have played it.