Undiscovered Planet May Be Hiding at the Edge of the Solar System

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Undiscovered Planet May Be Hiding at the Edge of the Solar System

Scientists believe that a planet four times the size of Jupiter is orbiting the sun over a light-year away.

Two astrophysicists believe that soon-to-be-published data will help prove the existence of a massive gas giant beyond Pluto's orbit, in the most remote section of the solar system.

The astrophysicists, John Matese and Daniel Whitmire of the University of Louisiana, first proposed the idea of this massive planet, dubbed Tyche, 12 years ago to explain why comets were coming from unexpected directions. The Oort Cloud, a cloud of ice and rock that inhabits the edge of the solar system about a light-year from the sun, is where many "long period" comets come from, knocked from their orbit by gravitational tides from the rest of the galaxy.

However, in their most recent paper, Matese and Whitmire showed that more than 20% of all long period comets observed since 1898 have come from directions defying currently held galactic-tide theory. They believe that the existence of a very large planet orbiting the sun in the Oort Cloud is the source of these contrary comets.

The pair of scientists have also made several predictions about the details of the planet itself. Tyche will most likely be made up of primarily hydrogen and helium and will behave in a manner very similar to Jupiter, according to Whitmire. "You'd also expect it to have moons. All the outer planets have them," he said.

One of the aspects of the planet that will help it stand out in the upcoming NASA data captured by the Wise Telescope will be its temperature. At -73C, Tyche is much warmer than its surroundings, which hover at just above asolute zero (-273C). "The heat is left over from its formation," said Whitmire "It takes an object this size a long time to cool off."

Even should Tyche be found, whether or not it will technically qualify as a planet will be up to the International Astronomical Union (IAU), the same group who famously demoted Pluto from its status as a planet. Because it is likely that Tyche was a planet formed in another solar system but captured by the sun's gravity, its exact status is debatable. They would also be the ones to formally decide on the planet's name.

Professors Matese and Whitmere believe that the Wise data could reveal the existence of Tyche within the next two years. "If it does, John and I will be doing cartwheels," Professor Whitmire said. "And that's not easy at our age."

Source: Gizmodo [http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/up-telescope-search-begins-for-giant-new-planet-2213119.html]

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
Sweet. Reading about planets and space in general is really interesting.

Oort cloud? Does that mean we might have to start worrying about Thread?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but isn't verifying an extra planet in the solar system how that old "Mutant Chronicles" game from the UK started? Think I read a novel based on it that was pretty bad but said something about that. Perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong thing....

At any rate, this could be the beginning of the end 2012 is coming, and we're not just now "proving" this, it's choosing to reveal itself. Soon the alien monsters will be coming to earth if they have not already launched their pods... 12/21/12 they shall arrive and the war shall begin. (insert dramatic music).

All kidding aside, it is an interesting piece of news, and I agree with following up on it, but I'm not sure how excited I can get over another gas ball in the solar system.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Indeed it is, but I doubt our Sun's gravitational field would be powerful enough to drag a planet from whatever solar system light years away.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
AmbitiousWorm said:
Sweet. Reading about planets and space in general is really interesting.

Oort cloud? Does that mean we might have to start worrying about Thread?
At least we can start breeding dragons and putting weird apostrophes in our names!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
OH FUCK ALL SCIENCE FICTION IS WRONG GET ME THE WHITE-OUT

Very interesting, an extrasolar planet in our own solar system will be a very interesting subjet of study in a few hundred years when we can actually study it. Although I kept blinking at how it was named after the Penny Arcade guy (it wasn't, that one is Tycho). I wonder what its real name will end up being, since all the cool mythological names are taken.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
This is interesting and I'm always happy to read about new discoveries in space.

But when are the aliens coming?!

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Let's call it Cerberus!

It's guarding our solar system, as is the mythological dog at the Styx, and so is Cerberus in mass effect! ;)

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
The Random One said:

Very interesting, an extrasolar planet in our own solar system will be a very interesting subjet of study in a few hundred years when we can actually study it. Although I kept blinking at how it was named after the Penny Arcade guy (it wasn't, that one is Tycho). I wonder what its real name will end up being, since all the cool mythological names are taken.
Hephaestus is still badass

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wait, if theres a (supposedly) massive gas giant orbiting around 300 million metres away from the sun, how the hell did we not spot it before?

Still like to see how it turns out.

Also I like how this has the potential to write off any sci-fi stories based around the Sol system.

AmbitiousWorm

I'm going to leave this blank.
Dec 2, 2010
Crowser said:
The Random One said:

Hephaestus is still badass

Hephaestus sounds like a sneeze. A badass sneeze...but still....
plus since they are all translated into Roman myths than Hephaestus would be Vulcan and could anyone take that seriously?

Think shes already a moon but Minerva?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
"Tyche", huh... Well, at least it's a name full of promise (According to Wikipedia, Tyche was "the presiding tutelary deity that governed the fortune and prosperity of a city, its destiny").

Hopefully, they'll also find a mass relay in the vincinity?... ;)

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I wonder if its orbit is like that of the 8 solar system planets, or like that of an escaped planetary body like Pluto.

As for a name, I agree with Cerberus.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Uhhh isn't there already a theory and name for this exact thing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28star%29

Oh wait, Tyche is mention in that article.

Alright then!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Four times the size of Jupiter? Holy shit! I want it to be inhabited by intelligent aliens. Preferably blue all-female species.