Undiscovered Planet May Be Hiding at the Edge of the Solar System

MattJones

Feb 3, 2010
I remember reading about a theory a while ago that said there was a brown dwarf star orbiting our system which they named ?Nemesis?. They believed it could be responsible for some of the mass extinction event on earth. Maybe this is referring to the same thing?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Awesome...

that is all...

RougeWaveform said:
Uhhh isn't there already a theory and name for this exact thing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28star%29

Oh wait, Tyche is mention in that article.

Alright then!
Also Awesome...

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Fascinating. Maybe this is what's causing the Pioneer Anomaly [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly].

MattJones

Feb 3, 2010
As I understand it, brown dwarfs produce very little light, if any. It?s possible that it?s so far away and so faint that it would be nearly impossible to see.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
chris89300 said:
Indeed it is, but I doubt our Sun's gravitational field would be powerful enough to drag a planet from whatever solar system light years away.
Well, it wouldn't exactly have to drag it, it could have other reasons.

Still, I doubt that at the moment. I mean a lightyear is damn far for a planet considering pluto is only about 5 lighthours away but if it's the supposed size of jupiter and this warm...
You'd think somebody would have spotted a second jupiter emitting quite some infrared light in our own solar system.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Yay, we may actually get a another 9th planet to our solar system. But you motherfuckers in the science community better not go making anymore decisions like what you did with Pluto.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
WorldCritic said:
Yay, we may actually get a another 9th planet to our solar system.
10th planet, as far as I'm concerned.

Pluto will always be a planet in my heart and mind. -_-

senataur

Aug 21, 2008
These theories have been around for a long time, I am very doubtful. I think they need more evidence that an anomaly in the trajectories of long period comets.

Still would be very interesting if it turned out true.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No, see, the comets are actually launched in our direction on purpose. The aliens are trying to invade our planet, and each comet has a full detachment of alien shock troopers on it. Thankfully for us, the aliens haven't got the math down right just yet, as they keep missing our planet. Calculating something from a light year away is hard work. Unfortunately, the aliens on the comets aren't so lucky, as they have to spend the rest of their lives living on one of those things as it hurls through space.

A new planet would be cool (until we find out that it hold The Marker or something), and I don't care what some science guy says. Pluto will always be a planet.

wildemar

Oct 20, 2010
OK, I'll be the wiseass:

The article says the thing is supposed to have four times the mass of Jupiter, not four times the size. And due to how planets work, that could actually make that guy smaller than Jupiter, what with the gas collapsing under its own gravitation. Now, this alleged planet is apparently hotter than Jupiter, which might make it bigger than if it had the same temperature as big J (hot gas takes more space than cold gas, as any microwave dinner with the lid still on will happily (and messily) prove to you). So in short: Get your facts straight, The Escapist.

Also, just to clarify: Absolute zero is at about -273 °C, or, more conveniently, at exactly 0 K (Kelvin). Everything else is at about 3 K, or -270 °C. The big exception being stars and their children, because big things collapse into themselves, which creates friction, which creates heat.

Incidentally, Jupiter is really just barely a planet. Make it more massive, and it'll shrink (as already indicated). Make it even more massive, and it will rub itself so hot that it'll ignite and become a star. In case you're running short on things to bore girls girls at a party with.

Fat_Seth

Jan 14, 2011
AmbitiousWorm said:
Crowser said:
The Random One said:
OH FUCK ALL SCIENCE FICTION IS WRONG GET ME THE WHITE-OUT

Very interesting, an extrasolar planet in our own solar system will be a very interesting subjet of study in a few hundred years when we can actually study it. Although I kept blinking at how it was named after the Penny Arcade guy (it wasn't, that one is Tycho). I wonder what its real name will end up being, since all the cool mythological names are taken.
Hephaestus is still badass

Hephaestus sounds like a sneeze. A badass sneeze...but still....
plus since they are all translated into Roman myths than Hephaestus would be Vulcan and could anyone take that seriously?

Think shes already a moon but Minerva?
I assume it will be named Kratos.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Wasn't it once theorized that our solar system was in fact a binary system.

Maybe this planet is actually an aborted star or dwarf star. Perhaps our sun's twin.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
OH OH! And there's an underdeveloped Sun called Nemesis at the outer edge of our solar system that comes by every 50 million years or so.

What?

Come on... its the same concept as what these two scientists are proposing. Perhaps there is something out there but a Jupiter size planet our where everything is ice and rock? Occam's razor.