Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode One Review - Nathan Fake

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode One Review - Nathan Fake

Imagine if Uncharted was really, really, terrible.

Read Full Article

Geekcomplex

Nov 16, 2013
Where on earth did you DIG this game up?
HA no but seriously, loved watching the first bit of the Squirty Play, and having read this gem, am now on my way to enjoy part 2. Keep up the wonderful work, you magnificent specimen.

Geekcomplex

Nov 16, 2013
Also I'd love to hear your take on where Self Awareness in games goes from being enjoyable to outright obnoxious, as was clearly the case in Unearthed. I personally love the way Suda often breaks the 4th wall, but feel even he has lost the knack for it he once had.
Perfectly good chance this will never be answered but HEY I asked. :D

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
And not even halfway through month one we already have a game trying to take the lifetime achievement award away from Ride to Hell. Now with even more terribleness since at least Ride to Hell wasn't literally just a game that already exists but shit.

VasileD

Jul 10, 2013
Falterfire said:
And not even halfway through month one we already have a game trying to take the lifetime achievement award away from Ride to Hell. Now with even more terribleness since at least Ride to Hell wasn't literally just a game that already exists but shit.
No, ride to hell was even worse because it was just a game's DLC that already exists but shit (Lost and the Damned)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Worse than the *actual* one-liners from the Uncharted series? Because those were fucking dreadful.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I wonder if the voice acting is better in its native Arabic.
It's so damn weird seeing Faris and Diana Jawad (who look super Arab in an adventure in Morocco) speaking in the most American of American accents.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I don't see how it's any more a rip off than Uncharted was of Indianna Jones, HIYOOOOOOOO!!!

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I remember playing the demo back when this was exclusively a PSN download (yes, it even aped Uncharted in being exclusive to PS3. For a bit anyway). I almost cried when I saw it pop up on Steam a couple weeks ago.

Seriously. Why? Just why would anyone ever feel it was a good idea to port this?

Honesly though, I can't get mad at it for aping uncharted the way it does. It's hilarious. They even used the same font in the title. And a rotating coin on loading screens. It's priceless.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I think this game deserves some slack for ambition and, going by the credits, a dev team you snuggly fit in a classroom. It may not have been very smart to go for something like an unchartered clone for their first game but you can't judge it by AAA standards

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I actually find it interesting that the characters are (voice work non-withstanding) actually middle eastern.

At first I thought it was kind of a joke, but it does seem like they genuinely want to introduce western audiences to their culture, which is quite commendable.

And, for just 5$? I'd call it a decent start. Dog knows there have been way more atrocious titles being sold for much more.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
crap this review had to come up now ive already bought the heap like a week ago oh well i can scrub it off my to play list and at least i only spent $2.50 or so on it while on steam sale so no great loss i suppose

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Pallindromemordnillap said:
How about we make the term for game mockbusters be a play on the term triple A? Call 'em triple eh?s
or "trap-ple Fs!" hahahahaha

haha

ha... I'll go now...

Honestly, though, it's a shame. this is a middle eastern game designed with the intent to try to share a glimpse of their culture with the western gaming world. that's where a lot of the effort Jim sees came from, I think. either due to a lack of resources or talent, this'll fall short of their goal, but it was a noble endeavor.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls, and a close-quarters combat system that fails 50% of the time due to a lack of collision detection. There's even a few vehicle chase sections thrown in for good measure, though their slow pace and nonsensical controls may make you wonder why they exist.
That is exactly how I felt about the real Uncharted (what happened Naughty Dog? you used to make games with protagonists that didn't make me violently ill.) So to this trainwerck actually being somehow worse is quite an achievement.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oskuro said:
I actually find it interesting that the characters are (voice work non-withstanding) actually middle eastern.

At first I thought it was kind of a joke, but it does seem like they genuinely want to introduce western audiences to their culture, which is quite commendable.

And, for just 5$? I'd call it a decent start. Dog knows there have been way more atrocious titles being sold for much more.
It is a really neat idea. The problem they ran into with this seems to be the problem more than a few games with female leads did in the past few years. They were kinda shit.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
At least we can say their is no under current of racism at play, since your a lumpy brown shooting other lumpy brown people.

So the score now is:

Unearthed: 1

Uncharted: 1,234,456,534,534,462