Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode One Review - Nathan Fake

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
I'm surprised Jim made no mention of this game's condescending, misogynist one-liners...

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
balladbird said:
Honestly, though, it's a shame. this is a middle eastern game designed with the intent to try to share a glimpse of their culture with the western gaming world. that's where a lot of the effort Jim sees came from, I think. either due to a lack of resources or talent, this'll fall short of their goal, but it was a noble endeavor.
No.
It wasn't.
The game has all the personality of Persian stripclub owner (which is to say, plenty, but off-putting) and all the fun of shoveling dog ****.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
At its very best, Unearthed is a mediocre action game that takes all its cues from far more polished products. There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls [...]

[...] the protagonist's smarmy not-good-enough-to-be-considered-one-liners are enough to make all decent people want to punch him repeatedly in the lower spine
So it's just like Uncharted then? ;)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
AntiChrist said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
At its very best, Unearthed is a mediocre action game that takes all its cues from far more polished products. There's a rudimentary cover system, some lethargic gun combat, a few "puzzles" that involve shimmying across ledges or climbing on walls [...]

[...] the protagonist's smarmy not-good-enough-to-be-considered-one-liners are enough to make all decent people want to punch him repeatedly in the lower spine
OH! Oh ho HO! You're a cheeky one, you are!

Antsh

May 15, 2012
I really hope you do a play of the next episode. Might want to wait for the 'gold' edition of that one too... can't imagine what the original release of this looked like, if you played the fixed version.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
What a wonderful review. I find this game's existence alone to be hilarious and that you found it at all to be impressive. I'd wondered how long it'd take these kinds of games to surface. I've really noticed how much our game market has been expanding lately into a infinite headed beast like the movie industry is today.

Jimothy Sterling said:
AntiChrist said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

OH! Oh ho HO! You're a cheeky one, you are!
Hah. I loved the uncharted series. Fun over-the-top Indian Jones-esque action has never been so playable. But that's funny.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ha! Great review. I sounds like you enjoy this like I enjoy Sharknado; you don't really enjoy a film like Sharknado, but it is extremely difficult to turn away once you start watching it. Really excellent review. Thanks for sharing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Keith K said:
I'm mostly impressed that this thing made it to some kind of release at all.
Yeah, you've got to think that this game, as buggy as it is, required writers and coders. It actually had a development cycle.