Unforgotten Realms: Episode 46: Stylish and Delicious

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!111!!!!!!111!!!11!one!!!!anyone notice when rob says 5 it hits the 5 minute mark exactly.now what will i do on thursdays.why does he have to go.it was getting funny again like in season 1.please don't leave.at least not without a fight i mean your show is so awesome you rock at animation and you were able to work in your underwear for nearly a year and get paid!they're not even gonna let you finish the season.thats evil.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
Well, Unforgotten Realms was really the only thing I looked forward to seeing here on Escapist, although some of the forum posts and news articles are interesting - but they don't draw me in to check the website.

Best of luck, you've got a good sense of humor and create some good stuff, but you probably need to get a couple friends to work with you rather than the solo project, so that you can prevent the burnout which seemed like it was boiling up every so often.

Fearforesta

May 1, 2009
Cama Zots said:
Something about this didn't sit with me, but I figured it out now. You can't be serious. First off, everyone here likes your show, but you can't honestly expect us to shell out money just so you might, just might, make another season and possibly give us some closure instead for that crap you call a season finale. I've defended you in the forums when people said that you suck, but no more, Robert. I'm done. I was done the second you tried to play the sympathy card to milk your fanbase for money. Darkspire films, RoosterTeeth, Xantos, and Ross Scott all managed to produce episodes (without any pay at all in the beginning) regularly in their spare time. I can't believe that you say that UR is a full time deal. Hell, I'm a AP high school student I've managed to hold down a love life and write entire novels in my spare time, while still getting As, during parts of my life. I can't believe you and I don't buy your story one bit.

I am ashamed to be a fan.

I quit.

Go ahead, "report me" and get me suspended, I really don't care any more.

I'm not buying a DvD.
I'm just going to warn you: as soon as people read this, they are going to descend upon you, Cama, like vultures to a piece of meat.

Basically: screw you.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
*tear*

Bullsh-t! Why? Why???

Well, here's hoping that this was an illuuuusion or something. I love this series and I hope it stays on this site.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Cama Zots said:
Something about this didn't sit with me, but I figured it out now. You can't be serious. First off, everyone here likes your show, but you can't honestly expect us to shell out money just so you might, just might, make another season and possibly give us some closure instead for that crap you call a season finale. I've defended you in the forums when people said that you suck, but no more, Robert. I'm done. I was done the second you tried to play the sympathy card to milk your fanbase for money. Darkspire films, RoosterTeeth, Xantos, and Ross Scott all managed to produce episodes (without any pay at all in the beginning) regularly in their spare time. I can't believe that you say that UR is a full time deal. Hell, I'm a AP high school student I've managed to hold down a love life and write entire novels in my spare time, while still getting As, during parts of my life. I can't believe you and I don't buy your story one bit.

I quit.

I'm not buying a DvD.
You are dumb.

Say we ignore all the writing of episodes which are time consuming. On average it takes me an entire day to do vocals and then edit them down. Sometimes I also need to redo voice overs or change scripts on the fly and add things in. Animating is a whole new ball game. Sometimes it's very simple animation and I can do an entire episode in two days easy, sometimes it literally takes me into the weekends because of a fight scene or just something I had to animate and draw. If you can find someone who does a 4 to 6 minute animated short on the internet in LESS then 4-5 days a week then super congrats to them because for me it's hard to pump out 5 minutes a week and still try to keep a certain level of quality, that quality does slip from time to time as well doing them as frequently as I do.

Other web shows have other sources of income for there show, via advertising or other merchandise. The point my website makes is that if the fans can FULLY support the show then I can continue it as I am doing it now, if they can't then this isn't a full time job now, it's a hobby.

Cama Zots said:
I'm a AP high school student I've managed to hold down a love life and write entire novels in my spare time, while still getting As, during parts of my life. I can't believe you and I don't buy your story one bit.
Grow up. Your in high school and have no understanding of what things cost. For example, the average cost of just DOING a season (Paying composer for new Theme Song, All other musical work you hear, Hosting the site, Video/Audio/Special effects software and overlays) Cost me a fortune. I spent more money then it will cost you to goto College next year on the tools to even DO this show and in the next year I need at the very least to buy another 2 USB hard drives, some new raptor drives for rendering, another monitor for a secondary PC and dozens and dozens of royalty free tracks. Jesus man look at the price of Adobe products and understand I need almost half of them to do my show and they get updated EVERY YEAR. Did I mention I have rent, food, internet bills to work on too? Oh I guess I'm suppose to have another job while doing this full time because this isn't real work right? Working on an animation for a couple hours, having the file crash and become unreadable so I need to start from scratch with a deadline coming up is just "Fun" right? I'm not a super millionaire nor will I be selling DVDs. You don't want to support the show? Thats fine, if enough people feel this way then I need to find another job (Oh shit I have been offered Jobs that would pay me more then Escapist would be declined already?) which means I can't devote myself to producing Unforgotten Realms.

You are not a fan and never will be you ungrateful child. If you had any understanding of the position financially I am currently in you wouldn't have the guts think the things you wrote. You do not understand the reasoning around why Unforgotten Realms is no longer on Escapist and I STRONGLY suggest you refrain yourself from making yourself look even more foolish. Milk my fanbase for money? I'm not saying DONATE ME 100,000 DOLLARS OR ELSE. I'm saying, please for the love of god buy my DVD so I can continue to make more Unforgotten Realms for you guys.

Jarret T from Washington State. Got it. Don't buy a DVD because I'm not interested in your money or your presence and you have totally ruined my day with your ignorance.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
holy shit raptor drives? the terrabyte kind? i knew this was expensive and resource consuming but i never knew it was THIS resource intensive to warrant raptor drives. ill TRY to buy a DVD but i cant promise anything, bad economy. but daaaaaamn, i wish i had a raptor drive.
I currently have two in this PC, a buddy of mine recommended it because the rendering phase was just so intensive that I couldn't do somethings I wanted to do.

All the "Special effects" you see are typically .PNG layers image sequences. I edit in Sony Vegas 8 and on my older computer which was built to play games not make cartoons, it would crash during renders anytime I used more then 1 layer. So if I wanted to have say a fireball effect and then put a Flare on top of it, it wouldn't come out and would crash. In the original episode 6 when they totem pole it, this is why its just some lame firework effect because my computer litteraly can't do the effect I wanted to do. This has been changed for the DVD with minor changes like that.

The problem is rendering can be time consuming still and immobilyzes my computer, I have also been at the mercy of "If my computer breaks, I'm screwed" and would like to set up a second PC so I can work while something renders rather then render something and just wait a couple hours for it to finish. I animate at 24 FPS so say I'm rendering out a scene of Cotswell with a couple houses and Schmoopy/Nailo on screen. Even with the computer I'm running, it still takes 15 to 20 seconds PER FRAME to render and thats a lot of time when you have 7000 frames in a five minute episode. So when i say something takes a DAY to render, I don't mean no work or school day.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
Cama Zots said:

I quit.

I'm not buying a DvD.
You are dumb.

Say we ignore all the writing of episodes which are time consuming. On average it takes me an entire day to do vocals and then edit them down. Sometimes I also need to redo voice overs or change scripts on the fly and add things in. Animating is a whole new ball game. Sometimes it's very simple animation and I can do an entire episode in two days easy, sometimes it literally takes me into the weekends because of a fight scene or just something I had to animate and draw. If you can find someone who does a 4 to 6 minute animated short on the internet in LESS then 4-5 days a week then super congrats to them because for me it's hard to pump out 5 minutes a week and still try to keep a certain level of quality, that quality does slip from time to time as well doing them as frequently as I do.

Other web shows have other sources of income for there show, via advertising or other merchandise. The point my website makes is that if the fans can FULLY support the show then I can continue it as I am doing it now, if they can't then this isn't a full time job now, it's a hobby.

Cama Zots said:
I'm a AP high school student I've managed to hold down a love life and write entire novels in my spare time, while still getting As, during parts of my life. I can't believe you and I don't buy your story one bit.
Grow up. Your in high school and have no understanding of what things cost. For example, the average cost of just DOING a season (Paying composer for new Theme Song, All other musical work you hear, Hosting the site, Video/Audio/Special effects software and overlays) Cost me a fortune. I spent more money then it will cost you to goto College next year on the tools to even DO this show and in the next year I need at the very least to buy another 2 USB hard drives, some new raptor drives for rendering, another monitor for a secondary PC and dozens and dozens of royalty free tracks. Jesus man look at the price of Adobe products and understand I need almost half of them to do my show and they get updated EVERY YEAR. Did I mention I have rent, food, internet bills to work on too? Oh I guess I'm suppose to have another job while doing this full time because this isn't real work right? Working on an animation for a couple hours, having the file crash and become unreadable so I need to start from scratch with a deadline coming up is just "Fun" right? I'm not a super millionaire nor will I be selling DVDs. You don't want to support the show? Thats fine, if enough people feel this way then I need to find another job (Oh shit I have been offered Jobs that would pay me more then Escapist would be declined already?) which means I can't devote myself to producing Unforgotten Realms.

You are not a fan and never will be you ungrateful child. If you had any understanding of the position financially I am currently in you wouldn't have the guts think the things you wrote. You do not understand the reasoning around why Unforgotten Realms is no longer on Escapist and I STRONGLY suggest you refrain yourself from making yourself look even more foolish. Milk my fanbase for money? I'm not saying DONATE ME 100,000 DOLLARS OR ELSE. I'm saying, please for the love of god buy my DVD so I can continue to make more Unforgotten Realms for you guys.

Jarret T from Washington State. Got it. Don't buy a DVD because I'm not interested in your money or your presence and you have totally ruined my day with your ignorance.
Is that a threat?
I'm glad I ruined your day, you've ruined mine.
Ross Scott managed to produce Civil Protection and Freeman's Mind (who had the same strict audio demands, even more from what I understand, than you) and spent countless hours on the animation. Only recently has he been paid for his work, but from what I understand he has editing commitments to other projects now. Let's not forget about the creators of Barney's Mind and Shepherd's Mind too, who make nothing and expect nothing, but continue their work purely as a labor of love. Bill Watterson made nothing doing Calvin and Hobbes, but he would rather end the strip than see it become comercialized (that's why he went on hiatus). Each color strip took him months and months to do. HP Lovecraft made less than 50 cents on each of what is now considered his master pieces. Even during his era such pay was considered insignificantly small. The master of supernatural horror died poor. Let's not forget about 90% of the webcomic artists, who do what they do only for the joy of creation (Ozy and Millie was only in syndication for a brief period of time, but that didn't stop Dana Simpson from continuing her work, and she updated everyday!). If fortune smiled upon any of them I would be happy that they would be rewarded for their work, as with Ross Scott has been recently. The instant you look upon your work as a means to an end it losses its magic and I can not accept that you do what you do only as a labor of love.

I'm done with the escapist. Don't expect me back anytime soon.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
An aquintance of mine named Sam T taught me in one of his cute little animations how timely & costly making independant flash toons can be. It's like making a comic book...you put in so much & get so little back. So if you want more of this show, you really should help foot the bill.

Here's that toon I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXmNXTn_-H0

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
Has anyone ever tried to convert Unforgotten Realms into a full game? I was just thinking that it could be fun to try it, if Rob doesn't have any issues with it, and it's not commercial at all (I've got some ideas for how to do this, but I couldn't find any other attempts on the URealms forum or by using Google).

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Tempest Fennac said:
Has anyone ever tried to convert Unforgotten Realms into a full game? I was just thinking that it could be fun to try it, if Rob doesn't have any issues with it, and it's not commercial at all (I've got some ideas for how to do this, but I couldn't find any other attempts on the URealms forum or by using Google).
he tried. didn't get off the ground as far as i know.
Do you have any information on what Rob's version was like at all? If you do, please could I see it?

Perryman93

Mar 27, 2009
i love unforgotten realms, ive watched it since the first episode of the original series came out, before it even came to the escapist, and i have to say it is one of my favorite programs/shows of all time. I am very sad to see it go, but i will buy that dvd as soon as there is a link to pre-order it!

wcgevampire

Mar 27, 2009
wow,
I mean comeone don't think that rob is like any freakin other flash-maker,
so don't say things like "hey, Professor walruss did twice as much flash's than Rob,
and didn't even get paid for that zomgolololol"
just hope that he will continue his hobby,
I'm defenetely going to buy the DVD,
but I hope for some special extras like BONUS-episodes or something :)
the dvd will be a christmas-present to my brother who loves UR just like me x)
don't listen to some fools rob...
but whatever, all have a nice day :)

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
Cama Zots said:

I quit.

I'm not buying a DvD.
I'm feeling your pain. "Smooth Few Films" did the same thing. They abandoned the machinima series that made them popular, and are now working for money to make a live action series. they made a shitty finale, and the story became worse and worse. They wanted to make a machinima movie to wrap up the story to have the fans get a GOOD finale, but then they got a deal to make a live action series and just wrapped up the story with a mediocre ending in which all bad guys died, all main characters survived or got revived, and even just dropped a whole plot-line expecting everyone not to notice it. Worked for most people on their site...
I think we can call our time "The age of internet series sell-out".

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I hope you keep this series going Rob. I know I've been complaining a lot about the recent episodes but I still love the show and I'm sad to see it go. I also don't understand why season 3 wasn't allowed to come to a more natural conclusion, I guess I'm just not in "the loop".